PDA

View Full Version : Luggage and Fairing

mit
15-09-2010, 02:26 PM
OK, so I know I'm new here and all, and you guys will probably tell me I should use the forum search, but the truth is I have used it, and I've used google, and I've searched other forums.

So my question about luggage is...

WTF?? Is there anything other than the supremely ugly GIVI top box available for the Monster? I saw some other soft luggage but I am after something I can attach to the bike that isn't likely to be stolen, but that can be removed without leaving much trace that it was even fitted without too much effort?

The way I see it I have 2 options:

1. Buy the GIVI rack and a top box, then make my own box that maybe looks a bit nicer than the GIVI one.
2. Modify another seat so I can attach something to it.

Has anyone seen this done before, or am I a looney for even considering it?

As for fairing... is there a nice bottom fairing that covers the engine available? I have seen one or two really nice ones but not managed to find where I can buy them from. I'm thinking of something similar to what the Triumph Speed Triple has?

Wait until you see my next question about exhausts :)

Char
15-09-2010, 02:34 PM
depending on how much luggage you need - if you can afford Kriega luggage from Infitity (British made) it is worth the price

mit
15-09-2010, 03:10 PM
The main thing I need my luggage for is so that if I ride my bike to Hyde Park I can put my biking gear (helmet, jacket, gloves etc) in the luggage and leave it locked with the bike.

I'll check out the Kriega stuff though! Thanks for that :)

At the moment I've got one of these but it's only big enough to fit a pair of shoes or a lock, and not very secure!
http://axioluggage.com/tailbag_red.html

Char
15-09-2010, 04:39 PM
No would def not want to leave Kreiga luggage on my bike!

He11cat
15-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I have to say most of the bikes at work and around here all have givi top boxes..
I agree they are fugly .. vile things but I guess folks need them!

I have a rack which I don't like having on my bike but I need it in the summer a fair bit so there it is.

No way leave expensive luggage on a bike it would be gone when you come back :(

I have to admit I always carry my lid with me and throw a pair of draggin camos over my work cloths and slip them off at work !
The only thing I would leave on my bike is a lock !

If someone wants something they will sadly get into it so I wouldn't go for something too expensive sometimes you have to be practical ...it sucks I think a top box is a top box is a top box ...
at least the givi is black and not white ewwwww

Grumpy
15-09-2010, 08:12 PM
There was a post on the forum last yr, which linked to a French site showing a seat for the monster where the rear section was a storage area.
i can't find the link, maybe another member will remember and know where to send you!

simon_g
16-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Pacsafe (.com) do lockable helmet and tank bags which have a steel mesh netting inside then can be locked to the bike. They do a similar stuff sack which you could use for other bits. Not the most secure of things (the cable used wouldn't stand up a proper attack) but would deter opportunists.

mit
16-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm the lidsafe they do looks quite appealing :)

Sadly taking the helmet with me is not an option as it's quite awkward to skate with one... I usually just take the car which means most of the time the bike gets left at home (which is a shame).

He11cat
16-09-2010, 12:39 PM
lol you could skate with your lid on !! :)

Char
16-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Hmm the lidsafe they do looks quite appealing :)

Sadly taking the helmet with me is not an option as it's quite awkward to skate with one... I usually just take the car which means most of the time the bike gets left at home (which is a shame).

We are waiting to see the pics

mit
16-09-2010, 01:33 PM
lol, pics of me skating with a motorbike helmet, pics of my bike or pics of my car? :p

My bike looks exactly like red a 2010 Monster 696+ from the showroom, except that I stupidly took it to a car wash place (who said they do bikes and gave me a different price) and they sprayed something on it that oxidised the aluminium and stained the engine casing. I now have a boot full of polishing products to try and sort it out myself, but it's also why I am looking at replacing the exhaust before my first service is even due! Grrr :)