PDA

View Full Version : Read this please

crust
10-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi, apparently at some stage I agreed to do a mountain bike enduro, not just any old mountain bike enduro but a real stonker of an enduro, the Afan Monster (maybe it was the name?), if you've met me you've already starting to laugh.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Fundraising/Inyourarea/Wales/South_West_Wales/Local_events/MacmillanAfanMonster.aspx

Why would I agree to this level of stupidity?

The event is being organised by Macmillans, the cancer support charity.

Why is this important to me?

My mother has been battling various cancers and their after effects in various forms for more years than I care to remember, then last year my kid sister was diagnosed with it as well.

Its not just the medical problems that cancer causes, the NHS deals with most of those, its a whole host of other stuff, for those problems, Macmillans have been stars, from little things like help with parking tickets to providing some one with time to spare to explain whats going on no matter what time of day.

Raising some money for them is my way of thanking them for the enormous help they've given my family.

crust's online donation page (http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SimonFigg)

Thanks for reading this

Albie
10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I will sort you out next weekend with a donation mate.

Pedro
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi Simon

well done fella, good cause. Unfortunately this week we've just found out that Jules sister has been diagnosed with cancer and the out look is not great so this makes this a doubly good cause to us. Donation made!

Pete

crust
11-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Pete, I'm really sorry to hear that, fingers crossed for her.

Have a browse around the Macmillans site, you'd be surprised at the things they can help with, they've been superb to my family.

:worried:

and thanks for the dosh, thats another one I'm sweating for and no I havent done that much training for this, still my same athletic figure, if I was a sumo wrestler

CK & AK
11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
A subject a bit too close to us.
Donated, sorry its not more mate
C
xx

singletrack
11-09-2010, 01:03 PM
This is a cause close to my heart. Macmillan Nurses helped my Mum a lot in her last few months.

The Afan Monster is a stupendously difficult enduro - Good Luck

Anne

slob
24-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Good luck this weekend Mr. Crust!

Darkness
24-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Good luck from me too Mr. Crust!!

Enjoy the views tomorrow, and dont forget to tell us all about it when you get back home!
[That sounds like a good line for a song.........?]

crust
24-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Been out for a bit of carb loading, as us athletes like to call it. All in the interests of a better performance of course.

Managed to abstain from the joys of a full night out on the lash in neath.

If there was a prize for - town where women wear the shortest skirts - Neath would blitz it every time. Tidy.

Bed now.

Thanks for all your support, full report on the proceedings will follow.

Albie
25-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Been out for a bit of carb loading, as us athletes like to call it. All in the interests of a better performance of course.

Managed to abstain from the joys of a full night out on the lash in neath.

If there was a prize for - town where women wear the shortest skirts - Neath would blitz it every time. Tidy.

Bed now.

Thanks for all your support, full report on the proceedings will follow.

I have been trying to donate mate but it just opens up blank. It goes to said site and says done at bottom. I will keep trying and good luck with the ride mate.

Albie
25-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Sorted now .:biggrin:

Gordon H
25-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Sorted now .:biggrin:

Aye, did it as well yesterday - no probs though.

Cheers

G

crust
25-09-2010, 05:54 PM
75km, 1750m of vertical gain.

2 crashes - both over the bars, one a biggie, no major damage, minor scuffs.

9 hours and 10 mins.

They said it would be the hardest and they delivered on their promise, it was an epic, miles of steep fire road climbs with steep fast descents over wet rocks or mud in the forest.

For those who remember him, MarkH did it on a affords special < nutter

Right now I am absolutely destroyed, tomorrow I will have a huge sense of achievement.

I'd like to say a massive thanks to you people for your encouragement and support., it made quitting simply not an option, the positvity has been wonderfull.

Thanks

Albie
25-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Well good for you Simon. I hope a good soak in the bath will sort you out a bit if not a few brandy may help.

Well done:ukm:

Gadget
25-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Well done Crust.

Have a well earned rest.:thumbsup:

crust
25-09-2010, 06:26 PM
And yes the fat man did sweat lots, my tee shirt now has a lovely zebra stripe effect from the salts.

Curry time, strictly to replace the calories burnt of course.
And plenty of fluids to re-hydrate.

Darkness
25-09-2010, 09:55 PM
75km, 1750m of vertical gain.

2 crashes - both over the bars, one a biggie, no major damage, minor scuffs.

9 hours and 10 mins.

They said it would be the hardest and they delivered on their promise, it was an epic, miles of steep fire road climbs with steep fast descents over wet rocks or mud in the forest.

For those who remember him, MarkH did it on a affords special < nutter

Right now I am absolutely destroyed, tomorrow I will have a huge sense of achievement.

I'd like to say a massive thanks to you people for your encouragement and support., it made quitting simply not an option, the positvity has been wonderfull.

Thanks

Well done that Man!

Money posted for your efforts!!!

:spin::spin:

MrsC_772
26-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Well done Crust!

So can you actually move at all this morning?