PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coils on M750

boycer
06-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I've got a 1996 750 Monster and my Dealer has advised I need two new coils at £142 each! (performance ones apparently, as they don't have any standard parts). Has anybody any idea of alternatives to these performance ones (new only) and where I can get them from ?

Cheers

dunlop0_1
07-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Did the dealer say why you need 2 new ones? I would have thought it unlikely that both have failed at the same time. I got a used pair with bracket and wiring off ebay for £25 just to use as a diagnostiic tool for Louise's M750.

Have a look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Monster-Coil-Packs-and-Leads-/180554921922?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a09e977c2

boycer
07-09-2010, 07:54 AM
THanks for the response. The Dealer advised that only the 900 Monster & SS 750 coils would fit, as any other coils could cause problems, does this sound reasonable?

gregski
07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
what sort of problems in my parts catalogue for early monster 600 and 750 coils are the same:scratch: , is your bike highly modify ??

Pomp1
07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
At that price dynacoils here (http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=223&products_id=435&PHPSESSID=ad0457ec1656503afd54dfdd5b3d89a6) are a far better option at 117 a pair. Better quality too from what I've heard.Not sure how many Ohm you need, your dealer or Haynes should say.

boycer
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
The dealer has now clarified that it is actually the Ignition Units/Boxes(?!) that need replacing. The bike is standard, but hasn't been run for about 3 years!

Saint aka ML
07-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I have my old stock working coils as I got dynacoils if you need them. In regards of cdi units. Cheaper option if bike is stock is this:
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

or if you want to go all the way I use ignitech unit, fully adjustable, fully programable CDI unit for injected or carb bikes. I have paid 142 Euro delivered from Czech, good unit bike is very responsive after it but htey are picky units that need a properly setup pickup sensors within ducati spec. Anything out and it might not work.

dunlop0_1
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
The dealer has now clarified that it is actually the Ignition Units/Boxes(?!) that need replacing. The bike is standard, but hasn't been run for about 3 years!

The ignition boxes are solid state and as a rule either work or don't work. Standing for 3 years should have no affect on them at all really. A bit harder to find but you can also pick them up off ebay for the right money.

Does the bike run? If so i would be more concerned about the belts being replaced first.

Saint aka ML
07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
The ignition boxes are solid state and as a rule either work or don't work. Standing for 3 years should have no affect on them at all really. A bit harder to find but you can also pick them up off ebay for the right money.

Does the bike run? If so i would be more concerned about the belts being replaced first.

My stock CDI units do work however at higher rpm they missfire then and again and bike lurches forward and back all the time, it only happens at steady throttle so for example 80 or 90 mph. They do not do it if I accelerate but as soon as I settle in off it goes again.

Gilps
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
It is unusual for both CDI's to go at the same time. They do break down gradually though, not normally just packing up totally. I had one which would run real rough until the bike warmed up then it was fine. They are about £200 for a pair new from Ducati. The Electrex ones are about half the price.

Yorkie
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I may have a set. How long can you hold on for. I am out of the country until the end of the month-ish.

PM me if you want to talk. I will only be about 30 mins away from you. (Because i ride slowly!)

Yorkie

Nickj
07-09-2010, 07:02 PM
My stock CDI units do work however at higher rpm they missfire then and again and bike lurches forward and back all the time, it only happens at steady throttle so for example 80 or 90 mph. They do not do it if I accelerate but as soon as I settle in off it goes again.

So....... they do work then and most of the ignition systems working.
I assume the battery is OK and charges well so the volts to the coils are going to be OK.
As you can run through the fail point if you're accelerating but it's just when the motor is at stable revs.. that says the coils are OK it's the electronics feed to them.
I'd agree with dunlop that the ignitor boxes are a thing that usually work or don't, this sounds less and less like the coils or ignitors.
Now that really leaves the pickups, they're hall sensors and they can do odd things like this.

Has the dealer checked the flying clearance / air gap of the ignition pickups??

My 50p would be on one of the air gaps being out or the sensor starting to fail

dunlop0_1
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I assume the battery is OK and charges well so the volts to the coils are going to be OK.
As you can run through the fail point if you're accelerating but it's just when the motor is at stable revs.. that says the coils are OK it's the electronics feed to them.
I'd agree with dunlop that the ignitor boxes are a thing that usually work or don't, this sounds less and less like the coils or ignitors.
Now that really leaves the pickups, they're hall sensors and they can do odd things like this.

I agree with what Nick points out.

Saint aka ML
08-09-2010, 01:44 AM

I agree with what Nick points out.

You can agree on that all you want but in case of my bike none of what you said is the case.

It was lurching and doing that before engine rebuild but with new pickup sensors.
It was doing that after engine rebuild with the same pickups, new dynacoils, fully charged battery and old CDI units. When I was putting DP one's on, or my ignitech unit, lurching was eliminated, when I connected old CDI's back it was back.

dunlop0_1
08-09-2010, 05:49 AM
You can agree on that all you want but in case of my bike none of what you said is the case.

It was lurching and doing that before engine rebuild but with new pickup sensors.
It was doing that after engine rebuild with the same pickups, new dynacoils, fully charged battery and old CDI units. When I was putting DP one's on, or my ignitech unit, lurching was eliminated, when I connected old CDI's back it was back.

Fair point. In your case it was a rare problem with the ignition boxes. I think the general opinion is not to always go along with what the dealer states and seek other opinions before drawing to a definite conclusion.
By doing this you may learn a little bit more about your bike and most certainly save some money.
Your list of new parts sounds vey expensive.

Saint aka ML
08-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Fair point. In your case it was a rare problem with the ignition boxes. I think the general opinion is not to always go along with what the dealer states and seek other opinions before drawing to a definite conclusion.
By doing this you may learn a little bit more about your bike and most certainly save some money.
Your list of new parts sounds vey expensive.

Agreed on dealer, you do not know how much agreed.

Yep it was and still is expensive.... when will I finish!!

Gilps
08-09-2010, 07:32 AM
The CDIs can and do break down gradually sometimes. It's not always a simple binary they work or they don't. I had it on my DD bike and saw it on others. I wonder how many bikes there are out there with rough running problems acutally caused by these things. It's a fair few I reckon. It's also easy to fix but not always easy to diagnose. Beware buying used ones as you can't always tell if they are faulty.
If you are about to spend £200 on new boxes then consider buying the DP AL9000 igniters from a dealer. You may be able to get a deal on them as they must be getting desparate to shift them now. They will increase the throttle response and the engine just feels crisper when running them. They also increase the rev limit. We didn't notice any real BHP gain but the torque was improved significantly.

Saint aka ML
08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
The CDIs can and do break down gradually sometimes. It's not always a simple binary they work or they don't. I had it on my DD bike and saw it on others. I wonder how many bikes there are out there with rough running problems acutally caused by these things. It's a fair few I reckon. It's also easy to fix but not always easy to diagnose. Beware buying used ones as you can't always tell if they are faulty.
If you are about to spend £200 on new boxes then consider buying the DP AL9000 igniters from a dealer. You may be able to get a deal on them as they must be getting desparate to shift them now. They will increase the throttle response and the engine just feels crisper when running them. They also increase the rev limit. We didn't notice any real BHP gain but the torque was improved significantly.

Gilps to what they increase RPM as I can increase RPM on m unit to what I want and currently I have shift light at 9k rpm and rev limiter at 11k rmp.

gary tompkins
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Those rev limits sound a bit high to me

Big bore kits are aimed at increasing midrange torque rather than top end bhp

Gilps
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Those rev limits sound a bit high to me

Big bore kits are aimed at increasing midrange torque rather than top end bhp

Agreed, but on the DD bikes the extra 1k at the top just gives you a bit to play with when banging it down the box and revving out at the top. Not much use on a road bike really.

Madamejones
01-08-2011, 09:14 AM
what sort of problems in my parts catalogue for early monster 600 and 750 coils are the same:scratch: , is your bike highly modify ??

I think one of my coils has gone......long story but it decided to pack up in the fast lane of motorway en route to the Ace Cafe yesterday :thumbsdown:

I have looked on-line this morning but would be grateful for a part number if you would have that info? ;)

Yorkie
03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Boycer,

Are you sorted out yet?

Yorkie