PDA

View Full Version : S4 electrical problem

stephen
05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Don't know if anyone has any help to offer on this one as I'm starting to tear my hair out a bit!

A few weeks ago I had a problem preventing starting. I would just get a click and the ignition lights would go out or flicker. I thought it was the starter solonoid, which I replaced and it was fine for a while. However, it happened again today and then suddenly rectified itself again (possibly with the help of some jiggling around of some wires).

I have also discovered that the kill switch doesn't work, does not kill the engine. Dont know if thats conected.

It seems like a poor contact or a relay playing up to me but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it

stephen
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't expect a flood of replies, honest! It's one of those faults that what you really want is a bit of luck.

I've just had another poke about and not found anything. I now can't replicate the fault, which is annoying after bump starting it several times this morning!

I've checked out the kill switch that does not (kill) and the switch seems to work, ie stops stops voltage to one contact, but still doesn't prevent starting. Anyone know how this circuit works?

stephen
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't expect a flood of replies, honest! It's one of those faults that what you really want is a bit of luck.

I've just had another poke about and not found anything. I now can't replicate the fault, which is annoying after bump starting it several times this morning!

I've checked out the kill switch that does not (kill) and the switch seems to work, ie stops stops voltage to one contact, but still doesn't prevent starting. Anyone know how this circuit works?

analogue_rogue
06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
that sounds likea bad earth mate.. start searching and cleaning your earths.. specifically around the kill switch circuit....

motojohn
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Bad earth got the same with my s4 ,it appears that it is in the connector block as after giving it a twist it worked :bunny:

uksurfer
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
might be worth trying to 'wiggle' wires around the immobiliser too, mines played up previously, due to the immobiliser

stephen
06-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the pointers. Going to attack it again with a positive attitude.

Confession; the kill switch works! Red herring I'm afraid. Call me daft, but I'd forgot that it doesn't prevent it turning over, just stops it firing. Doh!

Capo
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Mine (04 S4R) kills every thing Don't ask me how I know.

analogue_rogue
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
mine stops the whole lot (m600)

Phatty
07-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Check the main battery earth where it joins the back if the crank case on the right hand side.

slipperyweeguy
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
And also check that the cables are really tightly connected to the battery terminals. Even slightly loose will cause the symptom you described.

animaluk
08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
if its any help i had all these problems with mine batt draining and imobliser not working bike just losing power

Turned out to be a duff regulator/rectifer brought a new aftermarket one fitted and its like a new bike

stephen
12-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks to all who advised me.
The fault hadn't reocurred until today having tried it several times a day for a week.
Turned out to be main earth connection to the engine, so big thanks Phatty in particular. Happy boy, cheers.

analogue_rogue
13-09-2010, 06:43 PM
aw dammit i said bad earth gimme a little thanks at least :P

stephen
22-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry, credit to you too analogue!

analogue_rogue
23-09-2010, 12:50 PM
woohoooooo :D