PDA

View Full Version : Dropping to 14t?

bex
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
First service tomorrow, only 600 miles late, but never mind that...

Was thinking of dropping a tooth at the front. Sadly, but true, most of my riding on a daily basis is in central London and the low revs/torque in first and second is starting to p1ss me off a bit. I reckon I could go to work and back and never leave first if I didn't want to. Even in second I'm slipping the clutch all the time to keep the revs up/stop it from skipping a bit and shuddering my way home.

Admittedly I've sort've gotten used to it already, and I dont want to fit a 14tooth and then wish I hadn't bothered... but it should feel a lot better right?

Also when I was biking around Wales last weekend I was in second loads for fast corners simply because if I went up a gear I didn't have the revs to accelerate out of the corner properly, so the bike was squealing its way along all the time. Still, I suppose it didnt help that I'm not allowed beyond 6000rpm yet!

That said, will it be really noisy and revvy up in 5th and 6th when I'm cruising along motorways with the 14T??

Any advice appreciated, preferably soon cos its going in at 8:30am! :biggrin:

Rally
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Bex,
I don't regret fitting mine. It makes town work so much better and only knocks about 8 mph off the top speed. You don't really notice the difference in the high gears but it makes a massive difference at low speed. Do it, you won't regret it.

bex
02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Are you breakfasting on Sunday? I think that signature has earned you a good slap! ;)

Oh and thanks for the advice :biggrin:

edit: I've just seen Char's sig however, which I think has earned a trophy in my book :)

uksurfer
02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
i find the 14t sprocket makes cruising a bit more revvy, i have been contemplating going back to a 15t sprocket, can't make my mind up, but it would be worth trying, and keep the original as you can then always go back quite easily, but as Rally says, i wouldn't worry about the top speed and if your riding round town alot, its definitely worth trying

He11cat
02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
"Women are like DAB radios;
They send signals in every direction just to confuse you!"

Make a hat out of tin foil wear it all day.. it will stop the signals ....

Rally
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Are you breakfasting on Sunday? I think that signature has earned you a good slap! ;)

Oh and thanks for the advice :biggrin:

edit: I've just seen Char's sig however, which I think has earned a trophy in my book :)

I saw hers first and thought of a similar one for you girls! I will have to think again. :D

Yes I will be there Bex, I look forward to meeting you. It will be a good turnout by the looks of it. :yoparty:

Rally
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
"Women are like DAB radios;
They send signals in every direction just to confuse you!"

Make a hat out of tin foil wear it all day.. it will stop the signals ....

Cheers Mel, Great tip there! :D:D

chris yeatman
02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
as martin said, is the same with mine, reving 5000 rpm at about 80 mph, and bit less top end.

Pedro
02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
14t is a good mod, made my 1000 much more usable and it'll still do nearly 140....

slob
02-09-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd do it but make sure you keep the 15T sprocket, then if you don't get on with it not too bog a deal to switch back. FWIW, my 1000 is at ~4K in top at 70mph with 14T sprocket. In theory it's reduced the top end from ~140 to ~130, in the real world this doesn't bother me too much.

bex
02-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks all, I think I'll go for it then and see how it feels and just make sure I get the 15T back in case I dont like it... I still have to pick up some other odds and sods, like my original seat (!) which I couldn't be bothered to take with me at the time!

Not likely to be blatting around at 135mph too often so I'm sure if push comes to shove 125mph will do ;)

Cheers again

gary tompkins
02-09-2010, 11:15 PM
as martin said, is the same with mine, reving 5000 rpm at about 80 mph, and bit less top end.

Sounds like I've ended up with same gearing on the trike

Stuart42
03-09-2010, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=Rally;361734]I saw hers first and thought of a similar one for you girls! I will have to think again. :D

Rally how's this for a signature?

'Women are like Moto GP bikes. Gorgeous to look at but only a very few can truley handle them, and they also inevitably end up getting hurt?'

Cheers
Stuart

bex
03-09-2010, 06:51 AM
That one better Stu! ;)

Right, she's going in, hmmmm.... think I'll take a 696 to play on for the day....

bex
03-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Crap...they had none in stock. Where can I buy one??

walpole68
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM

try motorapido in winchester as several of the guys going to the breakfast meet live close by and might be able to pick it up for you.

adam15
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM

I got mine from Hein Gericke if there is one of them near you then just get one from them and pop it on yourself, not too difficult :)

When I rebuilt mine I dropped down to a 14 front sprocket and have also used 16 on the front too. The 14 definitely increases acceleration and makes it much easier to ride around town however means higher revs for motorways but as you got 6 speed gearbox over my 5 then you shouldn't notice it too much.
I only put the 16 on as it gave a bit more top end when the bike was restricted.

Hope you find one

noTHINGfaced
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Got mine from Renthal - bike shop ordered for me.

I recently went to a 14T sprocket on my M1100 and it's made the world of difference. I can now use 6th Gear!

walpole68
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Got mine from Renthal - bike shop ordered for me.

I recently went to a 14T sprocket on my M1100 and it's made the world of difference. I can now use 6th Gear!

and first is good for plane spotting !!

noTHINGfaced
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
and first is good for plane spotting !!

... And inspecting the underside of bridges too :D

.... Additional treats for the noise!

bex
03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorted, good old Rosso Corse :yoparty:

bex
06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Actually felt much improved after the first service, but I got Ray to throw on a 14T anyway and again feels even better.

What a handy mod.