PDA

View Full Version : What class

johnsy
02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
If any!!!

If i wanted to race my carbed m900, and that is quite a big if, what class etc would it be classified in etc. There seems lots of clubs, but no list of what bike goes where :scratch:

Kato
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Maxxis tyres series run by Dave Nicholson and New Era, Dave can be contacted by PM'ing him on the Ducatisti site - user name is Nogaromill.

Class B: 950cc Max, 2-Valve, Carburetted, Min Weight Limit 158kg, Max BHP Limit 80bhp, Maxxis Control Tyres

dunlop0_1
03-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Fit a 600 engine and race Desmodue with DSC and New Era more popular and much more fun.
Come and watch at Castle Combe Sat 4th (tomorrow). Weather forcast is great.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/

Racing starts from 11.50

Allcomers 70 - 690cc 6 Laps
Lansdowne Classics 8 Laps
125 / 250 / 400 / Etc 8 Laps
Side Cars 8 Laps
Classic Racing Parade 1 15 Mins
King of Combe / Allcomers upto 1300 6 Laps
Sound of thunder / Ducati 848 8 Laps
Ducati Desmo A & B 8 Laps
Classic Racing Parade 2 15 Mins
Pro Bike / Formula Xtreme 8 Laps
Lansdowne classics 8 Laps
125 / 250 / 40 / Etc 8 Laps
Sound of Thunder / Ducati 848 8 Laps
Ducati Desmo A & B 8 Laps
Pro Bike / Formula Xtreme 8 Laps
Side Cars 8 Laps

Neil #70

johnsy
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Now i'm confused, i can't tell the difference between, class A and class B.... both seem to use 600 or 620...
Not being funny, but a 600 might be fun at Pembrey, Lydon Hill, but Snetterton?

This is getting tempting though, mid-life crisis, lol

slob
03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
DD Class A is 620, class B is 600(583).

Check out Thundersport Streetfighter B (http://www.thundersportgb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=1) regs

Gilps
04-09-2010, 06:18 AM
My advice is if you are gong to do DD then buy a bike that has already had all the work done. Why devalue your 900 just to go racing, and then have to spend the best part of £1k getting it competetive, when you should be able to pick up a decent bike for not much more than £1k.

CK & AK
04-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Check out Thundersport Streetfighter B (http://www.thundersportgb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=1) regs

Is worth you looking at. Its a cheap series, road tyres or wets are used, remove road going gear & maybe check out the front & rear suspension. Nick B #34 uses his M620 in the SF c class very sucessfully, and anaother mate Mark rides his 900ss in the SF B class.
Class regs here: http://www.thundersportgb.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=905&Itemid=99 scroll down to the Streetfighter regs & open them for the 3 class's regs.

The next meeting for the SF class is at Mallory over 8th - 10th October, so worth popping along to watch & see.......

CK

ps: Slob, thanks for your help last weekend mister

johnsy
04-09-2010, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=CK & AK;361916]Is worth you looking at. Its a cheap series, road tyres or wets are used, remove road going gear & maybe check out the front & rear suspension. Nick B #34 uses his M620 in the SF c class very sucessfully, and anaother mate Mark rides his 900ss in the SF B class.
Class regs here: http://www.thundersportgb.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=905&Itemid=99 scroll down to the Streetfighter regs & open them for the 3 class's regs.

The next meeting for the SF class is at Mallory over 8th - 10th October, so worth popping along to watch & see.......

CK

:hail: Cheers to all for the replies, i have an itch to race & compared to moto-x (20 yrs ago) it's a mine field

I'll put Mallory down as a must go, i'd of thought 95bhp racing for a 2v monster was optamistic.

I can see this small idea developing into something evil & out of control :D

P.s Thundersport SF, am i right that entry's are over £200 per meeting

Kato
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Fit a 600 engine and race Desmodue with DSC and New Era more popular and much more fun.
Come and watch at Castle Combe Sat 4th (tomorrow). Weather forcast is great.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/

But then he'll need to join the DSC and have his cash stolen by you know who????

johnsy
04-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Looking with my limited knowledge of tarmac racing, the Maxxis tyre serie seems good value, 6 or 7 rounds, £125/round, £100 for a pair of tyres, max 80 rwbhp & i wouldn't think a carbed 900 dyno-jetted would be far out.
It'll be interesting to see their times at Cadwell, with Slob, J.P & me mixing it up at Cadwell this August & an unofficial (Father) timer, he thought we were doing between 1.45 and 1.49's no idea how accurate he was but at least it's a guide

CK & AK
04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Johnsy, the difference between the Maxxis series (is it still going as they were very short on numbers earlier this year?) and clubs like Thundersport & Bemsse, is that one series is on a one day meeting, the other is over 2 days race meeting, so 4 races with the latter clubs, which works out similar costings to doing 2 x 1 day meetings, but more tracktime at the 2 day meetings.
At most clubs (not New Era tho) you have practice and then at least one (usually 2 at Thundersport) timed qually (total about 35 mins).
New Era usually have 10 mins qually - 15 on occasions but no practice or 2nd qually, tho you can often enter other classes if eligable.

Anyways, come along to Mallory if you can or Donington over 22nd to 24th Oct and you'll see for yourself what goes on mister :)

Plenty of time over the winter to prep & get your licence - as I'm trying to persuade Slob to do too! :D

CK

johnsy
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Looking at all possibilities, i think the Thudersport series would bankrupt me, where as the Maxxis & DD seems better for the pocket, can't see anyone sponsering a 42 yr old newbie (unless Ducati want to appeal to the older lower end market, go Mr Duke, you know you want to:biggrin: ) I'll get down to the next DD round & hopefully get a chance to have a chat with a few racers,

What have i started :dizzy:

dunlop0_1
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Next DD round is Cadwell 2 &3 Oct. Sunday is the better day. Come and have a chat with any of us. The DD community is very friendly and there will be Mrs Monsters home made cakes available.

Matt Lawsons class B bike is for sale (number 72 and is leading the B championship at the mo), he needs the money so go bid him.
If you choose DD you will love it.

I was a 42 year old newbie last year so don't worry about it.

Neil #70

johnsy
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Next DD round is Cadwell 2 &3 Oct. Sunday is the better day. Come and have a chat with any of us. The DD community is very friendly and there will be Mrs Monsters home made cakes available.

Matt Lawsons class B bike is for sale (number 72 and is leading the B championship at the mo), he needs the money so go bid him.
If you choose DD you will love it.

I was a 42 year old newbie last year so don't worry about it.

Neil #70

Cheers,

You're not helping me come to my senses and forget racing :chuckle:

Neil, how much (excluding the bike) do you think a season has cost you :cry:

Should I start searching for Matt.... Better start getting some good contracts in, anyone need a plumber :chuckle:

Gilps
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I see Harriet Ridley (Miss Riot)'s bike is for sale on the DSC. You won't go far wrong with that one. No idea how much she wants for it but you'll be hard pushed to find a better Class B bike.

dunlop0_1
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Cheers,

You're not helping me come to my senses and forget racing :chuckle:

Neil, how much (excluding the bike) do you think a season has cost you :cry:

Should I start searching for Matt.... Better start getting some good contracts in, anyone need a plumber :chuckle:

Race entries are around £125 per round (2 DD races) plus £25 if you want to do the all comers race, always a good idea as it is alway run before the DD races.

I have used 4 sets of tyres @ £175 per set this year but it all depends on how hard you are riding.

Fuel again can vary but for me 2 timed practices and 3 races uses around 16-20 litres.

Plus a few spares (ebay) and service consumables I reckon £3000 is in the right area.
However throw in an odd trackday and the double header weekends and it can be closer to £4000+.

This will be my first full year at DD and after 20+ years of biking it is without doubt the best thing I have ever done.

Neil #70