PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a monsta.......

Swarf Monkey
01-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi all,thought I'd swing by and check out your wee board cos I may be in the market for a monster in the new year,so as Duke's are a totally new avenue for me thought I'd best suss out some info......so stand by for stupid questions!! (Although I will try the search button first......I'm not new to forums! :twak:)

gary tompkins
01-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the club

If 900's are your bag try to budget for a Y2K onwards injected bike. The engine is great with 900ie ss cams and tune, close to 80bhp out of the box with more available. They also have some of the most reliable electrics produced by the factory. Try to avoid models with the factory immobilisers though, as they can be a very expensive headache. Dry clutches do wear out fast but that's a problem for much of the range.

Later smaller cc monster have a better power output, but don't have the torque and relaxed feel of the bigger lump. The 900 is overgeared though and pulls better with a few extra teeth on rear sprocket. I've run two M900ie's and really rate them.

Lucati
01-09-2010, 03:00 PM
they're rubbish, get yourself a honda hornet.

Lucati
01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Joke!!!!

I love my Monster, you will never look back. Give one a test ride.

Welcome by the way!

Pedro
01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
900s are the original and very good, but if you want the best aircooled two valve engine go for either a M1000ie or an S2R 1000, both really good. If brute horsepower is your thing then an S4RS is properly bonkers - potential for upwards of 130bhp

I have an original 900 which is full of character and still puts a big grin on my face even after owning it for 7+ years and I also have an M1000ie which is properly sorted and blinged up. Oh and the missus has a 600.

Stop contemplating and go for it!