PDA

View Full Version : Ducati to miss WSB 2011

Pomp1
27-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Later today we should get a release from ducati that they're not to run next year WSB.
This is partly due to Infront not accepting requests to modify the rules and partly to re-organization following Tardozzi departure and the new 1200 V4

Gilps
27-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Here's what I think for what it's worth.

Ducati is owned by an Italian private equity company. Their main aim is to invest in Ducati, raise its profile and value and then sell it on at a profit. Rossi will raise the profile. Getting kicked in WSB won't. Rossi doesn't come cheap. There is a new sportsbike coming in 2012 so Ducati will probably return to WSB then. They will probably aim to win GP and WSB in 2012, so I reckon that's when we will see Ducati up for sale.

Forget all the spin from the company. This is all about share price and return on investment. It's understandable but very sad at the same time to see the most successful team not even competing next year. Sure, there will be privateers running Ducatis, but no factory team. A sad day.

walpole68
27-08-2010, 02:38 PM
PRESS RELEASE

DUCATI MOTOR HOLDING PRESS RELEASE WSBK 2011

DUCATI WILL FOCUS ITS TECHNICAL RESOURCES ON PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE 2011 WORLD SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIP WITH A FACTORY TEAM

Borgo Panigale (Bologna - Italy), 27 August 2010 - Ducati, having participated with a factory team in every edition of the World Superbike Championship since it began in 1988, winning 16 Manufacturers’ world titles and 13 Riders’ world titles along the way, has decided to limit its participation to the supply of machines and support to private teams.

“This decision is part of a specific strategy made by Ducati, the aim being to further increase technological content in production models that will arrive on the market in the coming years. In order to achieve this objective, the company’s technical resources, until now engaged with the management of the factory Superbike team, will instead be dedicated to the development of the new generation of hypersport bikes, in both their homologated and Superbike race versions,” declared Gabriele Del Torchio, President and CEO of Ducati. “I would like to thank Nori and Michel, and all of the riders that have contributed to the great history of Ducati in Superbike, but above all the Ducati employees; it is their hard work and professionalism that has allowed us to achieve such important results. A big thank you also to all of the partners that have supported us, first and foremost Xerox of course. I would also like to acknowledge the Flammini brothers who have managed the championship for so long, and the FIM, the organization with which we have continuous, constructive relations.”

By making this important decision Ducati aims to increase the speed and efficiency with which it transfers advanced technological solutions, currently tested in the prototype championship, to the production series.

The task of testing innovative technical solutions in Superbike racing will therefore be entrusted to external teams in the coming years, teams that will have the chance to receive technical support from Ducati personnel. This choice will allow the teams to benefit from even more competitive machines and parts.

Despite the decision to interrupt its official participation in the World Superbike Championship, Ducati will continue to work, in collaboration with the championship organizers, other manufacturers and the FIM, to define a technical regulation aimed at containing costs.
Strong in the sporting spirit that has always allowed this manufacturer to compete, line-up against its rivals, and win, it is fundamental for Ducati to identify, together with the other interested parties, solutions that can guarantee the future of the championship in the medium-long term.

Recently the Superbike World Championship, according to the current regulations, has been interpreted as moving more towards competition between prototypes rather than for bikes derived from production machines. This has led to an increase in costs, both for the manufacturers and the teams participating in the championship. This picture does not correlate with the current worldwide economic situation, which has made the securing of sponsorship even more difficult. Ducati trusts that the work carried out by all parties will lead to improvement also in this area.

neilbaldry
27-08-2010, 03:55 PM
We shall see what 2012 brings......... I am a bit sad now.

Max, are Ducati really making a 1200 V4?

Gilps
27-08-2010, 04:00 PM

For a V4 to eligible for WSB it would have to be 1000cc, like the Aprillia

rac3r
27-08-2010, 04:13 PM
A sad day for sure :(

Maybe I was right when I said they homologated the desmocedici for WSB. After all this these new road bikes better be good!

J.P
27-08-2010, 04:23 PM
How much do you think it costs Ducati to run in WSB >?

giler
27-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Very sad day, been following them all the way through WSB and probably was part
of my decision to own a Ducati - not that an air cooled 2V would do very well in WSB:)

Steve'o'M900
27-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Very sad day, been following them all the way through WSB and probably was part
of my decision to own a Ducati - not that an air cooled 2V would do very well in WSB:)

Dunno about that Wayne, I think Haga's been on an air cooled 2v this year!!!

neilbaldry
27-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I always prefered WSB for Ducati's. Its a shame, and lets hope this wont backfire on them when they do come back.

Pomp1
27-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Talks are about a frameless bike like the GP AFAIK

Pomp1
27-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Here's what I think for what it's worth.

Ducati is owned by an Italian private equity company. Their main aim is to invest in Ducati, raise its profile and value and then sell it on at a profit. Rossi will raise the profile. Getting kicked in WSB won't. Rossi doesn't come cheap. There is a new sportsbike coming in 2012 so Ducati will probably return to WSB then. They will probably aim to win GP and WSB in 2012, so I reckon that's when we will see Ducati up for sale.

Forget all the spin from the company. This is all about share price and return on investment. It's understandable but very sad at the same time to see the most successful team not even competing next year. Sure, there will be privateers running Ducatis, but no factory team. A sad day.

One of the best analysis of the matter I've heard so far, the only think I'll dispute is the raise value and sell on, the Bonomi family as the main shareholder seems to have a long-term commitment, but, seen how MV went to HD and back to Castiglioni I may well be wrong

neilbaldry
28-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Why 1200 ans not 1000 like 'Prilla

giler
28-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Dunno about that Wayne, I think Haga's been on an air cooled 2v this year!!!

Reckon your right mate:) Disappointing though for next year, least you can still support
the tuning fork boys:biggrin:

PDL
29-08-2010, 09:24 AM
How much do you think it costs Ducati to run in WSB >?

The 999 cost £100k per engine and rebuild, they used about 8 engines per season on average and rebuilt them after every race weekend, and that was just engines.

PDL
29-08-2010, 05:41 PM
The 999 cost £100k per engine and rebuild, they used about 8 engines per season on average and rebuilt them after every race weekend, and that was just engines.

Ok i am guessing a bit at figures here, so if someone can fill in the blanks it was something like this; Ducati were running a 999 factory team in AMA, BSB and WSB, that's three series with 8 engines each = 24 @ £100k a shot = £2.4m.

Plus rebuilds after I think every 4 races for each engine another 8 x £100k x 3 series = £2.4m, so about £5m on engines plus crew, rider wages, transport, etc and also MotoGP costs and Corsa development program it all starts to add up for a one factory team, compared to Mr Honda who make more out of selling Civic's.

Can someone check my maths it may be wrong.

Gilps
29-08-2010, 07:46 PM
That's where sponsorship comes in handy

Jan (Belgium)
30-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Just wondering how big the influence of the paycheck for a certain Valentino Rossi is in this story?

For me personaly Ducati = superbike and superbike = Ducati
Compared to Moto GP, superbike races are interesting, loads of overtaking etc....