PDA

View Full Version : Phone Rage

Kato
24-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I’ve been using this i-Phone gismo for about 6 months now and have come to the conclusion that it is a pile of SH!T with a massive capital S

There's no denying that the iPhone is in fact a good looking piece of kit, that I’m afraid is as far as it goes.

Why can’t I take the battery out! Like when the phone froze, sure there are a number of measures you can take to try and revive it, mine won't respond to anything and is stuck, so you have to wait all day for the battery to die naturally, and reset the damn thing
Even just making phone calls is not easy, It's not just the fact that my iPhone never has coverage, despite both my iPhone and Nokia being on Orange, it's also that making and taking calls isn't as easy as just pressing a button to perform the desired function.
You make a call, talk to a friend and then hang up. With the iPhone, you make a call, talk to your friend, have to remove the phone from your face and wait a second before the proximity sensor realises you no longer have the phone stuck to your face then you can hang-up.

If you're too fast to press the end button, it switches to speaker phone, you receive a text message while on a call, you'll have to read it or at least select it before you can terminate the call.

I don’t want my music in alphabetical order or sub divided by genre, or the recommendation of the day, I just want to dump it on the device and take it off when I’m bored with it and not always on the same PC. Fair enough, not everyone wants the capability to add and remove memory cards, but I do and I won’t to move data around like I do with my memory stick, I mean FFS there’s 16Gb of space on the thing why can’t I use it for whatever I won’t , I’ve paid for it?

I understand that Apple wanted to make the iPhone as streamlined and sleek as possible, but including a SIM card door that requires a specially designed tool to open it...really? Any device that includes a proprietary tool in the box should be banned.

If any of you feel the need to and get one of these thing my advise is to sit down until the feeling passes.........It is officially JUNK:nash::nash:

Dave G
24-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Whereas, I love mine.
Its a pocket computer that works as a phone and it's operating system takes a bit of getting used to its no worse than anything microsoft etc have.:cool:

All of that music stuff is customisable y'now Kato, and with 16gb same as mine why would you need an extra memory card?
A pin will get the sim out at a push.

Char
24-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Picked up my Iphone 4 today :p

slob
24-08-2010, 12:34 PM
It's a better phone than many I've tried (3GS on OS3.1). It's certainly better than the damned Windoze Mobile HTC that lived in my office drawer for a year, while I used a regular Nokia.
Smart phone makers seem to have forgotten the killer app is making phone calls to talk to people.
I get great coverage on O2 and suffer almost none of the problems that my jailbroken friends' phones suffer.
Yes you have to give up some of the control you'd like and subscribe to Apple's way.
Media Monkey lets you edit the meta-data and re-organise your tunes. make sure you back it up first, in case you get unpredictable results.
...and the special tool is just a paperclip, over-engineered the Apple way.

Picked up my Iphone 4 today
http://www.judasphone.com

gremlin
24-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Seeing how much stress people go through when they get the latest phone or whatever makes me quite relieved that I'm totally useless with technology and therefore unlikely to ever fall into the trap of owning something that puts blood pressure through the roof. I have a Nokia which is quite basic, I can call people when I want with no aggro, it sends texts, and takes pictures and even does videos, what more does anyone need? My daughter has an iphone and she's forever whingeing about it but it's the latest must have so she puts up with it. Think I was born about a century too late, I'm happy to be "stuck in the dark ages" as my daughter kindly puts it!

Stuart42
24-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for that Kato.

Will bear it in mind.

Cheers
Stuart

Dave G
24-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Why can’t I take the battery out! Like when the phone froze, sure there are a number of measures you can take to try and revive it, mine won't respond to anything and is stuck, so you have to wait all day for the battery to die naturally, and reset the damn thing

Courtesy of those nice people at google: :p

Like all computers, the Apple iPhone occasionally needs a reboot. You can do this by giving it a "hard reset". Following these simple instructions.

This does not remove or change anything on your iPhone. It basically just reboots the phone.

1 Press-hold the Home button (big circle below the screen) and the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the iPhone) simultaneously

2 Continue holding both buttons (Ignore the "Slide to power off") until the iPhone shuts off and begins to restart.

3 You may let go when you see the silver Apple logo.

4 You have completed a hard reset successfully.

Nickj
24-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Or you can wack it with a lump hammer

Old skool hard reset ;)

Kato
24-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Nick you are so spot on its scary.....here is the answer to all i-Phone problems

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/Phone.jpg

markh
24-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Nick you are so spot on its scary.....here is the answer to all i-Phone problems

Love it. I just got myself a basic new Nokia, i'm not interested in being an iSheep.

simon_g
24-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Over 2 years on mine. Having tried most major smartphones over the last 3-4 years, I still wouldn't have anything else. Try a Windows Mobile device if you really want to experience frustration - or is it all redeemed because you can take the battery out?

Albie
24-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Yes the Palm pre is also shi te as Carolines got one. Loses the time even though its on the internet. Cr4p as its designer moved from the apple i phone.

Gordon H
24-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Technology, eh?

My guitar amps are all valve,
my fave guitar is a 1950's design,
my bike's got carbs,
I was still using film cameras until recently,

my phone does other things as well as help me communicate and take pictures but I don't know what they are......

I am an embarassment to my digital age, technologically aware kids - :dunce:

But I don't care!!!!

crust
24-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Loving my HTC Desire

All the plusses of a smartphone, none of the I-Crap

Nickj
24-08-2010, 09:19 PM
HTC's do get some nice reviews

Is there a valve based mobile available for Gordon?

Oh well these will have to do instead ;)

http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/cell-phones/steampunk-cell-phone-takes-tech-backwards-064953
http://gadgetsin.com/amazing-steampunk-mobile-phone.htm

JMo
24-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Just for Kato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_401075&feature=iv&v=_S8sxpK4_iA

J x

OplayneO
24-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Go on tell me how the new BB is? i changed to the dark side (iphone 4) from my trusty BB, 2 day after getting it i found out about the new BB. Arrrghhh!

I know how you feel being frustrated with it but i am learning to take my frustration out on the IT guy at work rather than the phone as it make his life easier trying to sync my life on my phone to my computer!

OplayneO
24-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Go on tell me how the new BB is? i changed to the dark side (iphone 4) from my trusty BB, 2 day after getting it i found out about the new BB. Arrrghhh!

I know how you feel being frustrated with it but i am learning to take my frustration out on the IT guy at work rather than the phone as it make his life easier trying to sync my life on my phone to my computer!

Sorry, I need to get my eye tested, looked again and that isnt the new blackberry next to it! tired and frutrated eyes after trying to write email on iphone probably....

He11cat
24-08-2010, 10:52 PM
@Gordon...
My bikes a carbie would I change it for a new one ..no never.. maybe I would like to add a 900 carbie if I could one day.

There is nothing as wonderful as developing photos yourself or using film .. I often still use film , I used to spend hours in the darkroom... maybe why I still like muted light.
I love flicking through photo albums .. and am putting one together at home.

Would I like a modern minimal home in muted shades sorry no ...50's design and kitch I love..
If I had my own house again... Id be building a silly tiki bar!! I am surrounded by funny stuff because it makes me smile or people have given it to me to make me laugh...something stupid that cost 50p given to me by a mate makes me grin.. last thing was a fortune fish .. cause they knew I wanted one.

Some of my happiest times where spent trying to learn a 12 string one of us doing the chords and one of us trying to hit the right strings... and me failing badly!

Theres nothing wrong with liking non up to the minute stuff... nostalgia is an amazing thing.. and I guess I am a very nostalgic person..

However I own an iPhone ... ex designer see.. industry revolves round Apple and I am at home with that.. I have always had Apple stuff for years at work and home.
I still have an old Nokia I take with me on the bike.. or if its going to be a rowdy night.. I like my iPhone as I guess it what I am used to.. but even I am still figuring it out !!

I had G1 smart phone... now that with its android system.. I nearly threw it at the wall.. it was crap.. Kato if I still had it I would ask you to pass that hammer...

I won't be grabbing the latest iPhone I have a 3Gs.. Its fine for what I use it for.. I thought I would fill it with apps but I haven't ..

A mix of old and new is healthy in my eyes..

I am not driven by the need to have the latest thing.... or keep up with the jones's I am what I am I have what I have ..they don't like that well thats their issue not mine :)
Simple pleasures for a simple girl I am afraid..... sometimes its the simple things that mean so much ..
Never feel bad about that :)

gremlin
25-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Everything in our house is either second hand or home made, I admit we did buy new washing machine when mine broke and a dishwasher but they were trade price so not as expensive as they should have been. When stuff breaks it is either repaired or we go on Freecycle/Ebay to find a replacement. Perhaps if it was still the norm to do it there wouldn't be so much stuff going into landfill, but there is always so much pressure to buy the latest of everything and there don't seem to be the people out there to repair stuff. My mate Rahs truck was a classic example, the ECU had packed up, a new one was £1800 which she couldn't afford so the truck would have been scrapped, luckily we know a guy who could fix it which he did quite happily, the componant needed cost 3p. So for the sake of a 3p bit a whole roadworthy vehicle would have been scrapped. How many other people have been in the same boat? No wonder there is so much junk being dumped.

Blufoot
25-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I have an iphone, as someone said earlier it's really a little computer that you can make calls on. I hardly ever make calls on it, i send a few texts but i send loads of emails, surf da net, raise invoices etc etc and i always find it hard to understand why people cant get along with it as a product, its very easy to use.

I think avoiding purchasing something 'just' coz everyone else has got one is as bad as buying something 'just' coz everyone else has one.

But i'm not trying to convert anyone or shape opinions, just saying that mine does me fine and i'm happy. Kato, if you ever need help with it just drop me a line.

Saint aka ML
25-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I am well know ihone hater on ducatisti.
I have and always had HTC phones and never had said problems all they needed in old days was a bit of google search to setup correctly. Currently stock HTC software is good but there are better free alternatives however for average user stock is ok, especially second revision or more. Before you say anything iphone software also had revisions.
Some screen shots of my customized HTC HD2 (currently fastest phone on the market after a year on the market).
I prefer Winmo as it is more business but if you want easy use and more games then android based. Hellcat G1 was first ever android and at the end it was good but new android is incredible, search for HTC Android Froyo 2.2.

Pictures:

He11cat
25-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I hated my android phone... it was always a pain in the ass..
The camera well I could wave about a box brownie and get a better shot.
It used to crash all the time.
Reception.. what reception.. it could take ten attempts to send a text message due to no signal .. in my house in the middle of a town any other phone in the house was fine.

I fixed a few bugs using on line fix's , but a couple of times it would not play ball .. took it in to T moby and they gave me a whimsickle look and said er can't sort it but we can send it away for 14 days for you and sort it!!!... errrr and what do I do without a phone ??

Web browsing.. well .. it was like a zoetrope.
It wouldn't delete text threads either.
In the end I had to just do a complete wipe and start again.
It then decided it did not want to delete texts again.. I ended up with a conversation on my phone that had been going on since Dec 2008!!!..it would not delete the dam thing, spose it would have done as a goodnight read at night if I did not have a book. "morning... hello... fine ... "

They tried to get me to have a newer android phone .. I walked out and into O2 I wanted to regain my semi sanity.
iphone touch wood no problems and its clean and uncluttered , camera works as well!!

The penguin above is me !!!! but thats not my ISP :) I am happy on safari with my dirty Mac paying a virgin to keep me happy ..

Saint aka ML
26-08-2010, 06:40 AM
I hated my android phone... it was always a pain in the ass..
The camera well I could wave about a box brownie and get a better shot.
It used to crash all the time.
Reception.. what reception.. it could take ten attempts to send a text message due to no signal .. in my house in the middle of a town any other phone in the house was fine.

I fixed a few bugs using on line fix's , but a couple of times it would not play ball .. took it in to T moby and they gave me a whimsickle look and said er can't sort it but we can send it away for 14 days for you and sort it!!!... errrr and what do I do without a phone ??

Web browsing.. well .. it was like a zoetrope.
It wouldn't delete text threads either.
In the end I had to just do a complete wipe and start again.
It then decided it did not want to delete texts again.. I ended up with a conversation on my phone that had been going on since Dec 2008!!!..it would not delete the dam thing, spose it would have done as a goodnight read at night if I did not have a book. "morning... hello... fine ... "

They tried to get me to have a newer android phone .. I walked out and into O2 I wanted to regain my semi sanity.
iphone touch wood no problems and its clean and uncluttered , camera works as well!!

The penguin above is me !!!! but thats not my ISP :) I am happy on safari with my dirty Mac paying a virgin to keep me happy ..

It gets it wrong from time time and all do not have the same message and logo, depends what ya use.

Go and try Froyo Andoid 2.2 or motorola droid phone it is great.

He11cat
26-08-2010, 01:19 PM
The G1 is gone... hoooray!!!..

its like the PC Mac war.... If your a PC person I reckon your happier with a droid phone.
And obviously if your a Maccy person you'l be at home with the iPhone.
Guess who is not looking forward to going back to work and sharing her day with her PC .....

gary tompkins
26-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that Kato.

Will bear it in mind.

Cheers
Stuart

Says the man that's only just upgraded from sending smoke signals :D

The only thing that's missing from most iphone 'Aps' is the letters C & R

JR
26-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Glad I am old and dont have those kind of problems. I have a Nokia 6310, which can only receive very short text messages, cant take photo's nor make tea! Last week it got soaked in my pocket while I was out on the bike. Next morning it was somewhat dead,with no sign of life, so into the fan oven for 10 minutes of intensive care on a low light! Still using the same battery for the past 7 or 8 years while being used and abused so after the oven treatment it switched on OK - quality.