PDA

View Full Version : Hypermotard after 2 weeks

DevilBoy
18-08-2010, 12:27 PM
hiya dudes

I've had the Hypermoard S for a couple of weeks now. Went out for the first proper day long blast around the welsh countryside last weekend, and I thought I'd report what its like to be a proud Hypermotard owner!

I can definitely confirm that the motard is extremely uncomfortable on the motorway. In fact, if you have to go in any straight line at speed, it doesnt feel very nice at all. Its mega windy, and the bike has such short gearing that you are in 6th and topping out at 120mph in no time.
On the monster I could go up to 130+ with a gear to spare. And cruise at 90 quite comfortably.

All this adds up to a good thing though, as it'll save my licence! And I very rarely do those speeds on motorways.

Hitting the twisty back roads is a different story.
I found myself thinking that I was going really slowly through the lanes, meandering around the corners without a care in the world.
Then I realised that i'd overtaken about 9 sports bikes who looked like they where standing still.
A quick glance at the clock confirmed that i was actually ripping along at quite a speed, and it felt effortless!

The bike eats up roundabouts and twisties, and gives you more space to think about how you are riding, rather than worrying about what the bike is doing.
you KNOW that it'll handle anything you can throw at it, so you can just concentrate on going faster!

I think all this adds up to what could be an amazing track bike. And I am now thinking I might get back into track days. I think the motard would just kill on the track!

Other points that others have probably mentioned are the mirrors, which are just silly, and first gear is just a pain in traffic.
Hit a bump, and the throttle kicks in, trying to shift you off the back of the bike.
From 2nd though its nice smooth power all the way up.

In fact, I took it onto the dyno last weekend, and the torque and BHP lines went almost in tandem in a smooth line all the way up.
The guy mentioned that its unusual for a bike to have almost the same torque as BHP.

All in all, I am very very happy with this bike. It out monsters my monster, out corners a sports bike, and im sure it'd give a few supermotos something to worry about.

Right. I'm going for a lunchtime blast.
Db

rossifumi
18-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Did't fancy a Hyper...i got a Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 in March...its fun!

Paranoid Dave
18-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that, if you ride like that all the time then stick to the hyper and stop giving us monsters a bad name. ;)

singletrack
18-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Glad you are enjoying it. Try a 14T sprocket - it will make the lower gears a bit more manageable.

And yes! The Hyper is great on a track!

Capo
18-08-2010, 08:25 PM
hiya dudes
In fact, I took it onto the dyno last weekend, and the torque and BHP lines went almost in tandem in a smooth line all the way up.
The guy mentioned that its unusual for a bike to have almost the same torque as BHP.

HP is a function of torque and rpm. the hp curve climbs away from the torque curve as the rpm rises. I would think the hyper would have a relatively flat torque curve.