PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed re sprag orientation...

Cutter
17-08-2010, 10:44 PM
So before I could mark the sprag clutch I "collected" it with the magnetism of the stator rotor I was waving about in the vicinity :banghead:

I have looked in the Snyder book, and in the workshop manual and in the Haynes manual and am still confused as how to know if it's in the right way round. If I turn the flywheel clockwise the big cog (timing gear?) behind it turns with it. If I turn it counterclockwise it doesn't. I have feeling based on the slighty confusing explanations in Snyder and Ducati books that that is the wrong way round - anyone know?

Trent
18-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Sounds OK to me...
When the engine is running (ie flywheel is turning anticlockwise) the "big cog" shouldn't move.

The big cog connects with the starter motor (via an idler gear) - when the starter motor spins, it turns the idler gear. The idler gear turns the big cog which, as it turns, activates the sprag clutch and locks the big cog to the flywheel. The engine will now start to turn over.

If it was in the wrong way round, when you press the starter button, the starter motor and big cog would spin, but the engine wouldn't turn over.

You could try it (don't actually start the engine!) before you put the cover back on if you're still unsure...

Cutter
18-08-2010, 08:05 AM
That's really helpful mate. The engine is out of the frame, carbs off etc etc, awaiting the cover back on so I can clean the exterior up a bit. I had taken the decision to go for it and loctite and torque up the crankshaft nut, and then started worrying... (Still if the worst comes to the worst it will probably be easier to re-do it in the frame if it is in the wrong way round re lockiong the transmission to untorque nut.) I tried hooking it up but the battery is shagged(not responding to prolonged optimate treatment) so not a useful test until I get a new one. Many thanks for the info!!:thumbsup:

Pomp1
19-08-2010, 07:22 AM
run the starter motor off a battery and work it out that way?

Cutter
19-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Tried that Pomp but new battery on shopping list as one that came with the bike not responding to Optimate treatment and didn't have enough welly. I might borrow the one out of the Firestorm to try it though...

Pomp1
19-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I might borrow the one out of the Firestorm to try it though...

Heresy!
Are this of any help?
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pomp_one/996/sprag1.jpg
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pomp_one/996/sprag2.jpg
BTW they're for a 996 but me think are basically the same..

Cutter
23-08-2010, 10:42 PM
It would have been Pomp especially as I had seen the tiny arrow on the sprag and found a site where someone showed it installed, either visible or not - can't remember now as was a while ago (I am building this project at a geologically slow pace). However, as it's all torqued up and locktite'd I am just going to go on with the build and if it's wrong I will fix it in the bike. I used the unfinished frame and my son to get the torque on, but after rebuild I can use the timber through back wheel method. Many thanks anyway though...fingers crossed. Got a new tech question but will post under new heading!:chuckle:

Gamsa
24-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Any pictures of the project, Cutter?

Cutter
24-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I posted the original bike ages ago and then gave a link to my blog which had pictures of it being stripped etc. I am both a lazy git and busy (family, work, plus guitarist in a band, fettle my own guitars, amps etc) so blog has not been updated for months and bike build proceeds at snails pace. http://www.chickenshackducatiproject.blogspot.com

I should update blog with pics of Keihin flatsides, and of recent powder-coating of front wheel, swing arm, frame and yokes. Things holding me up right now on build are:
Only some of the parts to replace swing arm bearings have arrived - rest have been delayed for couple of months (half the bearings and all the seals)!
Was about to put casing back on so i could clean engine exterior up a bit but realised crankcase bearing running a bit rough so need to order that (plus a few other OEM bits like seals and washers etc)
Didn't get rear wheel powder coated as already black but realised it can't match the gloss of coated parts - need a puller of some sort to get cush units out pre powder coating.
Basically I am administering myself a kick up the backside as I know people here have stripped and rebuilt things in days! The plan is get seat re-covered and possible re-profiled, have stock forks fettled by MCT as I have ohlins for the rear, get non standard paint job and decals, and fit digital dash, plus flatside carbs, SILS, rearsets and clipons which I already have:thumbsup:..... sorry for splurge:chuckle:

Gamsa
25-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Oh yes, I remember looking at your blog now. Hope the bits arrive soon, so you can get on!

Cutter
25-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Cheers mate - will post on the forum when I update blog. Any info/nice piccies on your bike?