PDA

View Full Version : Feet on the floor?

bex
16-08-2010, 05:41 PM
I was trying a few bikes at the weekend, thing is my heart is typically set on the one where I'm probably a bit short for the bike... I'm mostly tip toes with the standard seat from what I remember, and with the lower seat option, which drops it by only 2cm, they're still not flat on the floor, which is a bit annoying.

If I just go for it anyway am I going to regret it later? They're hard enough for me to move around as it is.... oh don't what to do :grump:

I'd like to keep standard seat as the lower one is no where near as nice either. Is it daft / expensive to get bike lowered by a couple of inches and a bad thing to do with regard to how its meant to feel/handle?

Thanks

Grumpy
16-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Check if the bike has ride height adjustment, as per the later monsters, this could help you with your decision. Otherwise think on, there's nothing worse then dropping you pride and joy because maneuvering it is challenging.

Rally
16-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Beck,
It is relatively easy to lower a bike by dropping the forks through the yokes and lowering the rear end as well. it does make a big difference to confidence for a shorter rider. The only downside is that it will ground out a bit quicker with 'spirited' riding. You need to do both front and rear to the same amount, or it will speed up or slow down the steering otherwise and give you a feeling of dropping into corners or running wide.
It easy to do though. Let me know if you need a hand and want a ride to Wiltshire! :)

rac3r
16-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I can flat foot the 620 and even bend my knees slightly but that didn't help when I got stuck doing a U turn on burnt oak broadway :look:

bex
16-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I have a tradition of dropping bikes the first day I get them for some reason, and then not again. I'm almost sentimental about it, however I bloody hope this time will be different!

Thanks guys, food for thought for sure, I need to do a proper test ride and just practice some backing up into parking spots etc and see how it feels and then I guess I'll know for sure. Cheers Rally I may well be taking you up on that! :biggrin:

rac3r
16-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Any clues as to which bike? :D

Grumpy
16-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I notice your bike is on e bay!
Spill the beans, whats caught your eye?:D

Snips
16-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Personally, I think being able to put feet flat on the floor is not necessary. It's an interesting test, but not one with real world relevance.

In practice, you'll lean the bike slightly to one side to steady it. As long as the angle necessary to do that is comfortable, then I'd say you should be fine.

I'm short, and was concerned about this before I bought a bike, but it soon became a non-issue.

I'm 5" 6' (on a good day), btw.

bex
16-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I notice your bike is on e bay!
Spill the beans, whats caught your eye?:D

Not telling in case it doesn't happen!
:running:

bex
16-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks Snips, you reminded me actually I hardly hard to lean over at all to get either foot flat, so thats a really good point!

I guess I just like to sit back at the traffic lights and observe!

Panther
16-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing a ducati hypermotard :p

rac3r
16-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm guessing a ducati hypermotard :p

+1 That's my guess too!

Rally
16-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Cheers Rally I may well be taking you up on that! :biggrin:

I'm doing another one tomorrow now for another UKMOC member! I'll be well practiced.

Hypermotard.......... Bring on Belgium, they go in the naughty corner, don't they? :D

Panther
16-08-2010, 08:18 PM
If it is a Hyper, I think there are a few owner on here and not all of them long legged....They might be able to share some light on riding one

bex
16-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm sure I'll end up in the naughty corner for something or other regardless of what bike I'm on :biggrin:

singletrack
16-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Bex I have 3 bikes.
One is a Ducati Hypermotard which has had the seat cut out and has been lowered. I still only get the balls of my feet down but it doesn't matter because the bike is fairly light and easy to slide off the seat.
The second is a BMW which has a lower seat and I can almost get my feet almost flat on the floor so there isn't a problem.
The third is a CBR 600RR which is too high by a couple of inches and the stretch to the bars is a bit far.
I have ordered a lowering kit and helibars for it to sort out the problem I also wear Daytona Ladystar boots to give me a little bit of extra height.
I can manage easily with the Hyper being high, because it is light. The Honda is a bit more of a problem and I am hoping the lowering will help, otherwise I might have made a big mistake! The biggest problem is the reach to the bars, rather than the seat height.
I tried an 848 but there was no way I could ever see that being the right size ( again the stretch to the bars). If you think height is the only issue and you think it can be addressed, go for the bike - or you will always regret it. If there is more to it see if you can find someone who has modded theirs and have a go/sit on that first.

Hope you get the bike you want.

A x

Nickj
16-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I had a Jota, that was tall, pretty much a tippy toe job when stopped. Never dropped it but came close, it was one heavy sucker.
You might need to plan a bit more to start with but you'll adapt.

gremlin
16-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Also if you have to stretch to the bars it tilts your hips which shortens your legs so bar risers which tilt the bars back help no end. I can get both feet down but only on the balls or one foot flat now after much jiggery pokery, I feel way better than when I had just tiptoes. Can sometimes paddle back wards but due to frailty of spine etc I tend not to where possible! Planning does help, staying away from cambers etc but it is nicer if you don't have to get paranoid about falling over each time you stop! Of course at traffic lights you could always lean on the car next to you, as long as he's not turning before your lights change!

He11cat
17-08-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm loing into having my shock adjusted for more drop .. I don't paddle bikes about I push em . I'm too short to paddle them safely I'd rather look stupid getting off and pushing it about then drop my bike. My iams instructor used me as an example said watch her move her bike she does it correctly:) at least I do something right at last.

gary tompkins
17-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I can flat foot mine

But I tend to run my legs over ;)

Half Pint
17-08-2010, 01:41 PM
what i would consider is where you ride, most london junctions have heavy tracks embedded due to the lorries which make the road surface much lower in places. if i had a pound for every time i have put my foot down expecting the road to appear and finding I end up with the bike at an angle i would be rich....

If you are already unsteady on the bike with a flat surface consider the problems you may face with such junctions and ability to steady the bike when stationary.

I remember a friend who looked like he was falling off the bike when at traffic lights to touch the floor, and thats who i went for the moster as being short and skinny and weighing in at 7 1/2 stone it was the best option especially for a first bike

SlowLearner
17-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Having test ridden the Hyper 1100 and the 796 there is a big difference in height.

Well at least it seemed that way to me !

On the 1100 doing a U turn was fraught, on the 796 it was only tricky !

HTH

PS, quite envious as fancy a 796 myself......

singletrack
17-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Having test ridden the Hyper 1100 and the 796 there is a big difference in height.

Well at least it seemed that way to me !

On the 1100 doing a U turn was fraught, on the 796 it was only tricky !

HTH

PS, quite envious as fancy a 796 myself......

I don't have a problem on mine - although I can't do a U turn on a Monster :thumbsdown:

lisyloo
17-08-2010, 02:19 PM
You don't need to be completely flat on the floor to be confident.

I find the stock suspension on the 696 too ahrd so I had my rear suspensions adjusted which lowered it a bit.

Would also suggest higher boots,
Daytona do a LadyStar GTX boot. It's expensive at £300 but they are really good boots.
Gives an extra inch.

Another option is to get Boots built up by a cobbler. My sister did this with success and I suspect it was a lot cheaper.

Well done for moving you bike properly He11cat.
I paddle mine as I'm a weak and feeble woman and feel safer doing it that way.

SlowLearner
17-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't have a problem on mine - although I can't do a U turn on a Monster :thumbsdown:

I found the H1100 harder to get a grip of than my Tricolore or 696 !

I very nearly bought the 796 despite not having the cash ..... it was a hoot :shocked:

Must be me :dunce:

He11cat
17-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I push mine as my feet are not flat enough for me to paddle safely.

Ok it doesn't look cool me jumping off and moving my bike against my hip but nor would it look good if I binned my bike trying to paddle it about miss footing it and dumping it.
Worse binning it on a bike parked next to me.

So I move it in a way I know I safely can.
I have very short legs and know my ability... and its that I am not entirely safe trying to paddle it even on my tip toes.

So I am more then happy to continue looking like a total pleb pushing my bike .. better then me trying to pick it up off the floor or explaining to someone why my bike has caused the domino effect.

I was not blessed with long legs .. so I just get on a deal with being a short ass as best I can.