PDA

View Full Version : Low budget painting

Qba
16-08-2010, 04:17 PM
After last winter, front, rear end and the bottom of my bike needs some painting as paint is flacking quite badly. As the title suggests I decided to do it myself :shocked:

The only thing is, I've never dealt with this subject except painting the walls in my flat. Saw a few threads about it, but none of it was saying about the technical side of it i.e. preparation, and some general tips, dos and don'ts. I can't take the bike into pieces and go for a major painting, as a) I don't have enough space and b) I wouldn't have a clue how to put it all back together, so it's really only cosmetic.
I already ordered some paint and lacquer from RS Bike Paint but didn't go for aerosol… don't ask me why.

Any tips would be much appreciated… if there're any other than clean, sand and paint :)

rac3r
16-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Mine is flaking real bad as well but I decided I'd probably mess it up so I left it :chuckle: Let us know how you get on with some pictures too! :thumbsup:

Qba
16-08-2010, 04:54 PM
That's fine, but only if it will look better then it does now :)

Nickj
16-08-2010, 08:59 PM
As one of those rountuit jobs I'm going to do the casings.
If I can get the time I'll have them lightly fine shot blasted to take off the surface corrosion.
To get it to stick a coat of acid etch then a few layers of paint and some oven time to flash off the solvents...
Oh that will be after enough time in the warm that they don't ignite!!

Diego
17-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Yo Kuba...

If you change your mind have a look at these chaps. get your white wheels done at the same time ;-)

http://www.altamura.co.uk/motorbikes.php

Qba
17-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Cheers Diego,

I might actually go for it in some time and for this year's winter I'll just spray it with ACF50 to secure it. It's not about painting, but sanding I'm worried about. I might screw up the surface permanently if going too much with it.

motojohn
21-08-2010, 04:40 PM
any thing is better than Ducatis crap paint i have just done my 620 .
the paint was like paper as it came off in sheets , the best way is clean as much of the oxidation off with a wire brush ,prime the alloy with a etching primer and then a light coat of halfords best i used a nice ford silver with a light top coat of clear you dont need a heat proof paint as it will bake on just fine and it will not flake off like like mr ducatis does .
just remember to take your time and mask up all you can and light coats :thumbsup:

gregski
21-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Siema Kuba

as always very handy you tube and google have a look at some of the links on this site they might be handy

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+paint+a+motorcycle&aq=f

Powodzenia

Qba
22-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks John, paint from RS Bike Paint just arrived. The thing is they've send me water basecoat and satin lacquer with hardener & thinners separately :scratch:

Does any one know how to use it? Should I add hardner and thinners to both, paint and lacquer or only to one of the above and in what proportions (there is no info on the bottle)?

Grzechu, I was searching YouTube already, but there is not much about painting engine casings, etc… it's mainly about body work. Not sure if there is much difference in terms of preparation, technique.

rollo22
22-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Have a butchers at their web site can download instructios

rac3r
22-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Yo Kuba...

If you change your mind have a look at these chaps. get your white wheels done at the same time ;-)

http://www.altamura.co.uk/motorbikes.php

Some cool stuff on there

Qba
22-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I should think about it before :fou: thanks

Qba
22-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Azhar, as far as I remember Diego was happy with the results of their job. They also picked up the bike and delivered it back after finished work. I ask them for a quote.
To Paint wheels in a single colour gloss black would cost £140+ vat per wheel, painted pinstripe on the rim to break up the colour is £160+ vat per wheel.
To paint engine casings would cost £180+ vat plus the cost for a technician to strip/rebuild the casings from the engine at £55 per hour.
I suppose it's a fair price, but I just can't effort it at the moment.

StuartJames
22-08-2010, 03:52 PM
You should get a 696, no paint, it's all plastic :)

Qba
22-08-2010, 04:16 PM
No way! It's nice, but I prefer more classic look, even with the flacking paint mate, love it! ;)

FrankensteinMPD
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi I've just bought an n reg m600 in red and I've got the same problem as some of you guys as in flaky paint on the tank. I'm a panel beater so can get my bits painted professionally done at work but I was just wondering whether any one knows what the colour code is for ducati red???

gary tompkins
12-10-2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=37802&highlight=paint+codes

The shade of red varied over the years - I think earlier monsters are a darker red

Albie
12-10-2010, 04:38 PM
You should get a 696, no paint, it's all plastic :)

Bet we still get engine paint flaking still. I have noticed on rocker covers slight pitting and I clean it properly and hardly ride in winter.

benson
12-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I know that my 07 hypermotard is probably made of cheese and not real metal I suspect - I'm afraid I'm saving up to send it into Rosso Corse over winter for professional adoration and some new paint. ACF50 saved it last winter but I can't let it go another year...

Good luck!

Nickj
12-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Any foray onto the roads in winter here is almost equivalent to a dip in a mix only lightly less saline than the dead sea.
It would help if Ducati managed to use paint that actually stayed on the surface of the casings rather than float arund on a haze of corrosion.. may of course be the casings?

gregski
13-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I think all my paint is gone by now but I'm worried that I can loose my engine this winter so any one use this ACF50 stuff ?? and can share any tips ??

steeevvvooo
13-10-2010, 07:44 PM
so any one use this ACF50 stuff ?? and can share any tips ??

Wash bike
Spray ACF 50 everywhere except brakes and tyres
Wipe onto wheels using a cloth (I avoid the paint, sticking to resin polish for that)
Start up engine, try not to breath in the fumes

That's about all I do, and seems to work ok for me! :woot: