PDA

View Full Version : Handle bar grips

electech7
14-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Is it easy to change grips on handle bars, getting mixed feedback from people i've asked so far, any tips for changing them?

motojohn
14-08-2010, 07:26 AM
if we are talking about the rubber grips the best way to remove them is a sharp knife run along the lenth and then peel them off . to replace with new a little soapy water on the bars and the new ones will just slip on give them a twist or two till they stick and presto , if you want to keep the old grips push a screw driver between the grip and the bars spray a little WD40 under the grip and twist it off :thumbsup::thumbsup:

rossifumi
14-08-2010, 09:23 AM
My left hand grip came off in my hand after it had been standing in the rain all day :shocked:

Dried grip and bar and it was fine again

gregski
14-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I've got heated grips and water with soap don't work because when grips gets hot they slide out of the bar only way is the heat resistant glue

Char
14-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Just bought some of these gel grips - hoping to stop the dead arm syndrome

Titanium & Black finish - but there are loads of colours

gary tompkins
14-08-2010, 11:45 AM
A lot of people get hand, wrist and arm cramps just because they grip the bars to tightly

Relaxing the muscles, especially on long rides makes a big difference. As does having a nice tacky surface to hold to start with - I favour Renthal medium compound grips

Darkness
14-08-2010, 12:45 PM
if we are talking about the rubber grips the best way to remove them is a sharp knife run along the lenth and then peel them off . to replace with new a little soapy water on the bars and the new ones will just slip on give them a twist or two till they stick and presto , if you want to keep the old grips push a screw driver between the grip and the bars spray a little WD40 under the grip and twist it off :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I use the same method to get them off [Stanley knife], but use the daughter's hair spray as a lube when putting the new ones on. This helps them slip on, but sets to a weak glue to help stop them sliding off again.

:spin::spin:

slob
14-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Like Darkness, I always use hair spray for fitting grips, just squirt some inside the new grip immediately before fitting.
If you use WD40 to get the old ones off, make sure you get all traces of it off before you put the new grips on.

Paranoid Dave
14-08-2010, 03:32 PM
I tried to fit new ones in the week and though i've done it many times, the new ones were so tight i just couldn't get them to fit. The same ones Char has a pic of. The metal part mean the rubber couldn't expand enough to slide on.