PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Triple

rac3r
13-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I know this isn't the best place to ask but has anyone on here had any experience with the triumph triple engined bikes? or triumphs in general?

I think I might have fallen for a bike I shouldn't have :D

(please forgive any mistakes as I had to use my phone)

Rally
13-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I have a Triumph Tiger 1050 and it is a fantastic engine / bike, torque in oodles and smooth as butter to ride with a chorus fit for St Pauls cathedral! A highly recommended purchase.

I had a Rocket 3 before that as well and that also had good torque!!!!

slob
13-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Have you ridden one, or is it just the look that gets you?
Very different character to a v-twin. Still nicer to ride than an an online 4, IMO.

rac3r
13-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. At the moments it's just on looks, i'm guessing you know which one i'm thinking of? :chuckle:

Trent
13-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I had a Daytona T595 for a while - The Strontium Yellow one.

As said above, different to a v-twin, but still much more chatacter than a 4. Loved it, especially the sound.

Never had any problems with it while I had it - sold it to buy an adventure bike...

J.P
13-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I had the Triumph Sprint ST 1050. Lovely engine as it was smooth and plenty of drive.
I didn't like the fact that you had to get the rev's right up to really get it moving quickly though, overtakes required a good gear or two downshift, but then I've grown to love the shunt of a v-twin.

gary tompkins
13-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Shuffy owned a speed triple for several years

I also think Benson has some experience of them - maybe the street triple?

markh
13-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I had a demo on a street triple R and loved the ride. Prefer the looks of my monster though. :)

uksurfer
13-08-2010, 12:05 PM
i think 'foresterone' swapped his monster for one a while back, might be worth sending him a pm

MrsJel
13-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Husband rides a 1050 tiger - can't reach the floor meself so have to rely on pillion experience - agree - lovely engine, pulls well (2 up).

But I have test ridden both the street triple and the triple r - both were good rides - engine sweet and also makes you smile, not as much as the twin though.

If the 696 hadn't come out, would probably have gone for the street triple r instead of another monster.

We can tell you all sorts, only way to tell really is to ride one

Carole

Shuffy
13-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Shuffy owned a speed triple for several years

I also think Benson has some experience of them - maybe the street triple?

I did indeed! It was a 955i Speed Triple. I enjoyed it, I did about 15,000 on it and it was fairly reliable (apart from a few niggles including the starter clutch failing) and practical bike. The engine was very smooth and torquey, but compared to the Monster it was bit of a lump and it didn't handle anywhere near as well. The later bikes are meant to be better in terms of reliability, I seem to remember the 595 had a nasty habit of blowing 4th gear apart. Also the starter clutches on the pre 20002 bikes also were known to fail, a big job as they were located inside the engine, not like my one on the outside. I think they're great bikes just not as 'involving' to own as a Duke. Does that help?

LouSCannon
13-08-2010, 04:12 PM
...just not as 'involving' to own as a Duke.

Involving, I like that, I'll remember to use that next time I'm in the garage or shelling out for a service... it's not a ' ****ing pain in the arse' it's 'involving'

rac3r
13-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Shuffy that was helpful :thumbsup:

Basically I want to go and try something different, a sportsbike because that's what I've always wanted. IL4 won't suite me and I LOVE the Daytona 675 so that's what I want. I know I love Ducati's but I want to try the 'other stuff' out and I could do with something that is a little cheaper to maintain until I get a proper job

So yeah that's my reasoning behind it :D

Rally
13-08-2010, 09:19 PM
cheaper to maintain until I get a proper job

So yeah that's my reasoning behind it :D

Reasoning? That sounds more like justification to me..............................:D

Paranoid Dave
13-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Pudding-Head has a speed and she loves it.

rac3r
13-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Reasoning? That sounds more like justification to me..............................:D

You know how it works when you want something! :chuckle:

Honestly if I could have 2 bikes I would. I'm gussing most of you guys have tried all the other stuff and decided Monsters are 'the one'. For me apart from a few 125's the Monster is the only bike I've ridden!!! I love it but I feel the need to explore :D

He11cat
13-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Its whatever floats your boat really isn't it...
Monster is my 15th bike and I am happy with it :)

In the ideal world where I had long legs and a healthy bank balance Id be buying a nice yellow Superlight as another bike but sadly no...

Pomp1
14-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I've tested both the Daytona and the Street Triple last year for a good few hours each, as I really wanted the Daytona. Went back to the dealership, handed the keys and said no thanks. Didn't think the engine was all the hype the mags make it up to be, not that great torque. Very linear, good midrange but no punch. I've also tried my friend old 955 and that was a much better engine, but with a chassis that felt a bit too lazy and heavy. Go and try one, but don't just go around the block, take it for a proper couple of hours spin.
Oh and if you really want a three-pot engine 675cc MV Agusta will be selling them(reasonably cheap)from next year..
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/mv-agusta-f3-details/

rac3r
14-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Interesting info there Pomp. I've never test ridden a bike but I might have to make this my first!

big pete
14-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Be aware that when you buy a triumph you cant tune it yourself with out buying a tune boy/pc which is specific to the one bike . You also need it for diagnostics, mine cost £275 for my Daytona, Pig to start but stunning to look at.

He11cat
14-08-2010, 05:43 PM
What are the servicing and running/parts costs like Pete ?
Dearer then a jap bike I reckon or are they about the same?

Obviously that has to factor in as well doesn't it.

rac3r
14-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Be aware that when you buy a triumph you cant tune it yourself with out buying a tune boy/pc which is specific to the one bike . You also need it for diagnostics, mine cost £275 for my Daytona, Pig to start but stunning to look at.

What do you mean by tuning? Adding an end can?

Like he11cat said more info on what you think about the bike please! :thumbsup:

dunlop0_1
14-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I worked in Triumph dealership for a year (2008-2009) on the parts/workshop and after sales. Like some of the bikes mentioned i too test rode most of them. The Daytona 675 was the most fun, seemed to rev forever and handled very well (remember it looks so good because it was styled in Italy). The Street triple IMO is much better than it's bigger brother the Speed triple as it is lighter and less cumbersome in corners and the Bonny has perfect gearing just puts a big grin on yer face.

The biggest problem was build quality. I delt with dozens of bikes with corrosion/oxidisation issues even after as little as 2 weeks old. Triumph most of the time did nothing about it stating it was down to the customer not looking after the bike properly.
One bike even went rusty in the showroom!

As regards tuning. If you fitted a race can then the fueling had to be remapped by the dealer, they used to charge £40 + vat.

Service costs for the 675/1050 engine bikes started at
£60 @ 600 miles
£260 @ 6000 miles
£450 @ 12000 miles inc valve check
Extra on the Daytona due to the fully synthetic oil.
Probably all a tad more now as it's 2 years later.

Very good parts service, order from Triumph before 2pm and it would come the next day.

Alas none of them came close enough to a Ducati for me to change, ever.

rac3r
14-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks Dunlop :thumbsup:

I didn't know they were that bad on corrosion the other bike I was looking at before (749) wasn't that great either also the service costs seem to be similar with the Duc being a little more ££ because of belts I guess.

The + point on the Duc is that it's cheaper to buy but then wouldn't the service costs make up the difference

He11cat
14-08-2010, 08:06 PM
With any bike with a bit of soul you pay more.

Italian bikes, Triumphs (not the old forgiving ones :) ) ..

I know I said a swear word mentioning the Cagiva (sorry!!!) the reason I asked about that was I liked its monsterish rip off style but it has a suzi twin engine I was just interested by that.
My other real passion which I can't indulge in is big Suzi Muscle bikes EFE'S and Kats being my bag.
I also have a grey import suzi so I have a bit of a thing for some Suzi's.

Can't afford another bike !!! But was intrigued to see if anyone had any dealings with one.

I would never part with my Hector and I suspect if he did go to the great scrap yard in the sky another Ducati would fill his space.
Someone on here showed me their monster and I was really impressed and kind of fell in love with it.
But its a posh big blingy monster.

Cost is a real issue for me major now as I have gone down to half the income I had, and my Ducati is poxy family now. Its rooted itself in my heart (dam you Ducati!) and my bedroom may as well be its garage for it.

I have been lucky as had a lot of kind help and I am so grateful for that.
Well bike was brought as he is staying matt black with a dent... like that worked.

They are not like a jap bike (all bikes need attention) you can be a bit more lazy with some jap bikes.
I sold my bestest china and things to pour into bloody Hector!!.. I have no gold teeth or they would go on him as well.

But I think thats the thing .. they are more involved , they have charm and they need love and TLC.
They wiggle your way into your heart and thats why we love them.

If you need something to blat about on and sometimes you are not flush and you need something thats not so involved then buy a jap bike they do the job and can be great fun.
There are some fab jap bikes out there that look ok and are affordable.

Look at the streetfighter culture most now use bandits (there was a 996 a while back that I would like to go and shake the brains out of the guy who butchered it !! I sat with my mouth open and nearly cried).
The money poured into some of those bikes..
But at the end of the day a reliable bike, forgiving , and so much trick stuff out there now so you can moddy it up to how you want it to look and for not much lolly.

Ok still a bandit but you can do stuff to them.
I think you need to think what can I afford to run... what will do the job of getting me to work.
Then ok what can I make look good on a budget or twek to suit.

Thats why I ride a shed to work and keep the Duke for best :)

It would be mental to buy a lovely looking bike then trash it on a commute in the winter or not be able to keep it going.
I have that risk but when it comes to my little Ducati I will do anything to keep him running.
I was without mine for 3 weeks apparently I had a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp and a temper to match worst I have been about a bike or lack of! I know how scrapps feels!

Then when you can afford it buy something really nice !!!.. You will appreciate it a lot more.

Slap my face did I just say be sensible !! .. honestly needs and musts.

In brief buy something that you can keep running at a reasonable cost , maybe trick it up if you want and then when your no longer a student go buy something really really nice

Saint aka ML
14-08-2010, 08:13 PM
You want a sport bike then get a 749s if Ducati. Less possible problems then 748/916 as no apparent rocker issue glooming. Get a 2005 up if you can and "s" if you can as well.
A late 2004 "s" model will have the same engine as 2005 "s" but older swing-arm and panels.

They are great bikes on the road as enough power to go fast but still will forgive some mistakes. If setup well it handles sublime.

Gordon H
14-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I've mentioned it before but when I set out to get a bike this time round, Monsters were not even in the top 5 - had a limited budget and looked at Speed 4, but didn't like it and had eventually after lots of logic / head over heart type stuff plumbed for a Bonneville.

I was in the dealers ready to close the deal when I clocked a rather tidy m900 in the showroom - 60 miles of test ride later and I was hooked.

Can't see me shifting off of Ducati's now but still looking around for another one to keep the Monster company in the garage. :hail:

rac3r
14-08-2010, 10:48 PM
That's my point, I actually love the Ducati and all the stuff that comes with owning one (except maybe some of the costs :chuckle: ) I don't know! Some days I think I want a 749 or 675 and other days I think I want one of the SSS Monsters :D

One day I'll decide, One day....

animaluk
14-08-2010, 11:09 PM
my boss has had two 1050 speed triples both have had electrical problems

rac3r
15-08-2010, 05:10 PM
You want a sport bike then get a 749s if Ducati. Less possible problems then 748/916 as no apparent rocker issue glooming. Get a 2005 up if you can and "s" if you can as well.
A late 2004 "s" model will have the same engine as 2005 "s" but older swing-arm and panels.

They are great bikes on the road as enough power to go fast but still will forgive some mistakes. If setup well it handles sublime.

Hi saint, Have you ridden one?

claicerrig
15-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Well i had my Monster 7yrs and even now after 2yrs without her i miss her .

I dabbled with a DRZ 400 and a CCM644ds but the medical problems continued so i sold everything .

3 weeks later Mrs Cerrig gave me an envelope with my cash init and said go buy a bike you miserable git :spin:

So off to Woods of North Wales and set up a few test rides (Even a red one with no Rad :p )

As much as my heart said another Ducati my head ruled (Or rather the vibrations through my re-built Bum did;) ) and i settled on a 1050 Speed Triple .

No problems to report so far after 4 mths but even now when i hear sound of a Ducati my heart still beats faster

rac3r
15-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Ducati's definitely have something about them

I've just seen several very tasty 749's for just under 4k.......

animaluk
16-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I've tested both the Daytona and the Street Triple last year for a good few hours each, as I really wanted the Daytona. Went back to the dealership, handed the keys and said no thanks. Didn't think the engine was all the hype the mags make it up to be, not that great torque. Very linear, good midrange but no punch. I've also tried my friend old 955 and that was a much better engine, but with a chassis that felt a bit too lazy and heavy. Go and try one, but don't just go around the block, take it for a proper couple of hours spin.
Oh and if you really want a three-pot engine 675cc MV Agusta will be selling them(reasonably cheap)from next year..
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/mv-agusta-f3-details/

or indeed the benelli triples the tre and TnT are both fantastic bikes

Pomp1
16-08-2010, 07:57 AM
or indeed the benelli triples the tre and TnT are both fantastic bikes

Looking stunning, I agree..And you'll spend a lot of time looking at them as they won't start;)

rac3r
16-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I saw a Benelli in the Triumph showroom the other day. Not sure what it was but it only looked nice from the back :chuckle:

animaluk
16-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Looking stunning, I agree..And you'll spend a lot of time looking at them as they won't start;)

ITs the italian magic max

Pomp1
16-08-2010, 02:53 PM
ITs the italian magic max

More like a bloody curse:D

Thirdway
20-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, owned both the older 955i speed and the 675 Street Triple. Both had Maxton shocks on the rear and completely new fork internals by the same company.

Speed Trip didn't do it for me, the new ones are supposed to be better. Big lardy beast that held a line through corners like a Ducati (once suspension was sorted), snorting engine but it's not the fire breather that most people think it is, somewhat like a I4 with a flatter torque curve, less top, slightly more bottom and mid.

The 675 was brilliant (except for the poor suspension). Quick steering maybe a bit flighty. It has an incredibly torquey motor which can hold high gears at low revs better than most things I have ridden and a nice top end. Better than a Speed Triple IMO (and a circuit of Nurburgring by a 'ring rider' proved it was actually faster).

Got rid of it to buy the Monster 1100S which is an entirely different experience compared to the little Street, it's a much more involving ride. I ride out with the Street Triple forum riders, we both arrive at the same place at the same time, had a lot of fun getting there.

One's not any better than the other but IMO the Ducati is more desirable in looks and sound. Several of the ST riders have started asking questions about price as it has proved to be reliable in the hours of rain sodden riding we have done despite some waiting for it to spill it's guts.

I wouldn't be upset if I had another 675 tomorrow (suspension sorted out first) but I would miss the Ducati badly.

BluprintZ
20-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Most of you know my story, sold the Monnie last October, due to the riding position affecting my hip joints and then bought the Thruxton.
After ten months, i'm just getting to know it better, there was a time a few months back that i was considering selling it and maybe getting a Hyper or a BMW800R but it's started to feel more settled lately, i'm enjoying riding it more than i did a while back.
Now i know what Claicerrig has got, i shall visit him very soon and blag a go on the Speedy.

G ; )

He11cat
20-08-2010, 11:42 PM
The Thruxton is a lovely beasty... and stylish to boot. :)

rac3r
20-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Turns out insurance is crap for me on every bike apart from Monsters at the moment so I'm going to hold out until next year and buy another Ducati of some sort :D