PDA

View Full Version : 20 Trackdays in 3 years ....

J.P
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I was working it out last night after the last my jaunt to Cadwell Park on Monday this week.

Twenty, that's how many I've done since I started riding motorcycles at the end of 2006, having never been on a motorbike before.

7 in 2007 which was a mix of trackdays on my 695 and then the 998 S4R.
8 in 2008 which included three days doing the California Superbike School, crashing and fraturing one rib.
3 in 2009 (plus a session at the Knee Down School at Mallory Park)
3 in 2010 (1 this September at Brands hatch)

I've riden my bike to every one of the tracks & ridden it home again,(apart from the one I trashed at the CSS which was their bike not mine). No trailers, no vans.

Is that too many ? Am I mad to spend the money for the thrill & risk ?
Have I become a controlled adrenaline junkie ?//?////??//???/// :booze:

LouSCannon
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Can't wait to meet the sucker who buys your bike!

J.P
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't think I'll be selling it through the UKMOC ever as 'One Careful Owner'.

LouSCannon
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
We'd all stay quiet, I'm sure no one would breathe a word..... (They'd all be too busy laughing)!

alan c
11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
We'd all stay quiet, I'm sure no one would breathe a word..... (They'd all be too busy laughing)!

i will not say a word - how much :mand:

slob
11-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Addictive ain't it, I make it 22.

2005 3 (crashed at Donington on 3rd one... first time in inters, down to inexperience, no serious damage done)
2006 9 (back into novices until open pit lane experience at Cartagena)
2007 3 (big highside at Mallory, 2 broken ribs... overconfidence, ran out of ability)
2008 0 (year off to consider the error of my ways)
2009 3 (right back into it)
2010 4 (can't get enough, need a faster bike... murdering half the inters in the corners before losing out on the straights)

It's interesting trying to lose 1/4 of a century of habits that keep you aliive on the road, in order to go faster on track (even though the increased skills and 'close to the edge' experience affords you a much larger margin of error back on the road).
I love the mixture of mad adrenalin rush, combined with the meditation like attempt to perform each corner in perfect sequence lap after lap.

slob
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
plus the Nurburgring in 2009 and one session at Misano this year.

Will probably have to give my 620 away rather than sell it but I've had my money's worth out of it.

gary tompkins
11-08-2010, 11:18 PM

You could always try some phrases like well run in or nicely loosened up :rolleyes:

Wouldn't convince me to part with cash though - way too much plumbing and not enough wheels

dunlop0_1
12-08-2010, 05:35 AM
I was working it out last night after the last my jaunt to Cadwell Park on Monday this week.

Twenty, that's how many I've done since I started riding motorcycles at the end of 2006, having never been on a motorbike before.

7 in 2007 which was a mix of trackdays on my 695 and then the 998 S4R.
8 in 2008 which included three days doing the California Superbike School, crashing and fraturing one rib.
3 in 2009 (plus a session at the Knee Down School at Mallory Park)
3 in 2010 (1 this September at Brands hatch)

I've riden my bike to every one of the tracks & ridden it home again,(apart from the one I trashed at the CSS which was their bike not mine). No trailers, no vans.

Is that too many ? Am I mad to spend the money for the thrill & risk ?
Have I become a controlled adrenaline junkie ?//?////??//???/// :booze:

Why not have a go at DD racing next year?
Always cheap race bikes for sale (class B around £1200 or less) and a typical meet of 2 qualifers and 3 races is around £150. :mand:

scrapps
12-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Not done that many trackdays but hope to do some more next summer and try some new tracks.
Maybe we should try and sort a plan for next year and some group bookings :idea:

steeevvvooo
12-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Judging by the declining trend JP, I guess Cadwell will be your last and you'll be hanging up your race gloves??

That is a LOT of track time, but seems to have done the trick in terms of getting your riding to a good standard in almost no time at all! :thumbsup:

J.P
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Stevoo. At least when I offer advice I'm not talking out of my a*se, all the time.

Mr Cake
28-08-2010, 03:56 PM
At least when I offer advice I'm not talking out of my a*se, all the time.
... That'll be my cue then.

2007 3 (big highside at Mallory, 2 broken ribs... overconfidence, ran out of ability)

...and ground clearance! The horn button was trapped against the tank as I recall. That'll effin' learn yer to take the mick out of someone else's (very recent at the time) highside :look: ;)

I've only done two. Both at Oulton Park, and both last year. I used to thrill-seek on the open road but since I did a trackday I soon learned that the road really isn't for pissing about with. So for me it's more about comfort on the road and leaving the sports bike for the track. I haven't ridden at all for almost 12 months though :(

Cakey Spooner

Black Bob
14-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Actually, I'd rather buy yours than something that has only done 1000 miles a year or less.

I didn't realise you'd only been riding since 2006... that's impressive judging by yesterday's display.

I hadn't done a track day since 2001, so I'd booked the last novice slot. With hindsight, a mistake. Was a wee bit like filtering through London in rush hour. (Damn, that sounds big-headed... I really aren't, honest.)

J.P
14-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks Bob, I'll send you a mail if I ever get to selling it !?!?!?!