PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

stephen
09-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I had some starting problems over the weekend (Monster S4, 2002) causing much pushing and swearing.

The ignition lights came on, sometimes with a dim oil light, but when I pushed the starter they went out and I just got a click from a cylindrical relay or solonoid down on the right hand side. It's got 2 big red wires secured by nuts and a much smaller 3 pin plug. It also has 'Hitachi' on it.

Anyway, I tapped it and it started! Which was nice, after dropping it on it's side bump starting it earlier (no damage, miraculously).

Any advice? What is it and should I just replace it?

Thanks in advance.

gregski
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
sounds like a battery to me

stephen
09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Checked the battery and it's good.
It only started when I'd tapped the round thing so I was assuming that this was the problem?

Trent
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
That's the starter solenoid. When you press the starter button, it connects the +ve of the battery to the starter motor (via the 2 thick red wires), and the starter motor turns the engine over.

How did you check the battery?
Do the lights still go out now or are they normal again?

It sounds like the solenoid was just "stuck", and the tap freed it up... or it could be on it's way out and will stick again (or die completely)

You could try it as is and if it sticks again, give it another tap - at least you know what to do now! :chuckle:

Either that or replace it and (hopefully) have peace of mind...

PaulV
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Had a few issues with a pals monster recently, clean all relevant connectors in that circuit, not familiar with S4 circuitry but on early 900's there is a relay that is switched via the key switch, this effects nearly all circuits tho... also check the main earthing of the battery. Can cause issues, replaced one recently and a bike that would struggle to start and had smoke coming off the -ve terminal now starts first time!

Good luck, electrics are the devils work:banghead::banghead:

stephen
09-08-2010, 09:17 PM
The Devils work indeed! I was soooo lucky when I dropped it, it just lay down on the bar end with no damage. Phew.
I thought it was strange at first as I assumed the battery was flat, but if I put on the head light it was bright and didn't dim when I tried to start it. Put the multi-meter on and it read 13V. Charged the battery up for 4 hours anyway as I was going out but and it was still the same when I got back.

It was only when I tapped the solenoid (as I now know it to be) that it then started normaly.

Thanks for the info. I'll call the the dealer in the morning and probably get a replacement. These things never get better, do they!??

Nickj
09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Its an off the shelf motor factor part.. Search for solenoids or similar and you'll find the part number

stephen
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Good thinking. I'll have a poke about.

stephen
09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Just had a look around for this solonoid: Hitachi MS5A-181 (ebay, google etc) but had no luck so it seems I might have to go to a Ducati dealer unless anyone has any advice?

gregski
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
just spoke to moto rapido they have one on the shelf, price with postage £29.29
I will try dig a bit deeper to find a better price if you not in a hurry

gregski
10-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Alternatives to the genuine Ducati parts for starter system :

Darmah starter motor brushes: (BMW?) part number SBR 5830
Hailwood replica (Mille) starter motor - Suzuki GS400-425-450 or 500 models.
Monster starter relay: Hella 4RA 003 510-131.
Paso starter solenoid (standard fitment) = Hitachi 12V MS 5A-181.
Bevel-twins sprag clutch: Rover car part number is 22A716. Please note that the outside diameter of the cage that holds the segments together needs to be turned down to 65.5mm.
900ss, 906 Paso, Pantah engine starter sprag clutch: LC4 Freewheel bearing KTM Part No.58440026000. I just fitted one of these to the 906 Paso project, and it cost less than half the price of the original Ducati part.

so now just need to find the Paso starter solenoid (standard fitment)

stephen
10-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time gregski. I called my local dealer (Ducati Wolverhampton) and they wanted £52!

gregski
10-08-2010, 05:47 PM
no probs mate it looks like moto rapido is your best bet good luck

stephen
10-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Result. Ordered part from Moto rapido after work today and the nice man remembered your call and its on its way as we speak.
I'm £20 better off, the bloke at moto rapido seemed pleased, you have a warm fuzzy feeling from helping out a numpty and everyone is happy!
I'll def use them again too as they were on the ball and reasonable.

slob
10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
That'll be Craig, always very helpful.