PDA

View Full Version : LED Indicators

Tench1970
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
After looking for something to replace my monster after a severe falling out with it i've decided that I don't like any other bikes that a I could reasonably afford so Im sticking with it, so to the question... i want to add LED indicators to tart the bike up a bit more and want to know what is needed, I recently had problems with the standard relay and as usuall an ebay job just blew the fuse, another ducati only part! is this the same case with an LED relay, do i need an expensive ducati one or will an ebay one do the trick?

rac3r
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I have LED's all round and I only needed 2 in line resistors at the back. I bought 4 indis + 4 resistors (because I didn't know how many I needed at the time) for about £20 off ebay

buzzbomb
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
If you are fitting LED indicators you will have to fit at least 1pair of resisters other wise the flash rate will be to quick.

gregski
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
flash rate will be to quick.

is there a law for that ??

I've got LEDs in my mirrors and normal lamps in a back they do flash a bit quicker but is that illegal??

Tench1970
09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Thnks guys, i still havn't replaced my dodgy relay though so was thinking of buying a LED specific relay rather than have to replace the original relay and then buy additional resistors, or do the LED relays that you seen in ebay not work on ducati's?

rac3r
09-08-2010, 10:32 AM
is there a law for that ??

I've got LEDs in my mirrors and normal lamps in a back they do flash a bit quicker but is that illegal??

It's an MOT fail I think. I have a pair of resistors if you want them but you'll have to fit new connectors on

rac3r
09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Thnks guys, i still havn't replaced my dodgy relay though so was thinking of buying a LED specific relay rather than have to replace the original relay and then buy additional resistors, or do the LED relays that you seen in ebay not work on ducati's?

Not sure about your bike but my relay is part of the clocks so thats why people choose to use resistors instead. If you use an LED relay you won't need the resistors

gregski
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
It's an MOT fail I think. I have a pair of resistors if you want them but you'll have to fit new connectors on

mine pass every time :mand:

rac3r
09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
mine pass every time :mand:

That's alright then!

Tench1970
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info Rac3r the relay on mine is under the seat with the fuses, so i think i'll just try a new relay with the new lights, i guess it'll only be a fiver or so wasted if it doesnt work.

rac3r
09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info Rac3r the relay on mine is under the seat with the fuses, so i think i'll just try a new relay with the new lights, i guess it'll only be a fiver or so wasted if it doesnt work.

No problem. Yep just change the relay then it'll probably be easier

uksurfer
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
you might struggle with the M600 with led's, i tried everything with mine quite unsucessfully......:banghead:
(i ended up having to hide two light bulbs in a small tube behind the headlight)
the bikes with relays in the clock are easier IMHO
Good Luck!

Char
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
get some of these http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/motorcycle-indicators.html - then let me know if they are any good then i will get some :bunny:

rac3r
09-08-2010, 08:17 PM
A lot of people say they are good, they look cool. (I'm a cheapo so didn't get them :chuckle: )

Tench1970
16-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Got the new rear led light and new relay on fri, the realay was off ebay and was described as 12v 0.8 - 25w will allow mixed led and lamps which was perfect for me as i still have the normal lamps on the front at present.

All wired in easily and looked/worked great UNTIL i started the engine at which point realised that the flash rate was linked to the engine revs:spin:

The Duc relay must have something inside to get around this as i have used the original wiring and the pin polarity was the same as the bikes (the listing pointed out to check this), will ring Duc up to see if they sell a relay for LED's but don't hold much hope and if they do it'll prob cost a fortune.

Anyone got any ideas for a workaround?

rac3r
16-08-2010, 12:57 PM
All wired in easily and looked/worked great UNTIL i started the engine at which point realised that the flash rate was linked to the engine revs:spin:

Hahaha that made me laugh! :chuckle:

Erm I'm not sure really, so the higher you rev the faster it flashes?

uksurfer
16-08-2010, 02:46 PM
if you have the standard bulbs at the front it might be worth trying with the original relay, unless you have tried that already?

Tench1970
16-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah didn't think to push it out of the garage and start the engine, too busy patting myself on the back, got all kitted up for a run in the glorious sun yesterday and the pre ride check left me looking like a right tool:D

I'll try the old relay tonight but it was on its last legs when i took it off, hardly ever working so might be faulse hope, was thinking i could maybe substitute one of the + feeds to the relay with a line straight from the battery, any thoughts?

Tench1970
17-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Took the old relay to bits last night and gave it a good dousing in contact cleaner, so far seems to have a new lease of life and works with the rear LED's:thumbsup:, will have to get a spare for when it plays up again.

Barthog
20-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I have the Oberon on mine , well pleased.
Bonus the view from rear is a reminder if you leave them on.
Had to buy the resistors but found Hein G sells them V cheap afterwards.
After service excellent as I had a faulty unit they replaced immediately

banditloon
20-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I went from a set of Motrax flashy LED things which had the resistors built into the wiring to a

lhttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/IMG_0111.jpg

Lovely streamlined set of Oberon thingymagigs...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/Image0282.jpg

Wiring in was nice and easy. Top kit from Oberon