PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow - hotels and parking

MrsC_772
07-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Anyone got any recommendations for hotels in central Glasgow with their own parking (for cars or bikes) or for hotels which don't have their own car park but where there's a nearby car park which is ok to leave a niceish car or bikes in?

Glasgow council website only mentions a couple of car parks that have specific bike parking, otherwise there are on street bike bays. Would I be mad to leave a Monster in a Glasgow on street bike parking bay overnight?

Last time we were in Glasgow we stayed in a pub called the Babbity Bowster which had a little car park. Rooms were nothing special, but it was in a reasonably convenient location (Merchant Quarter - east of main city centre). Wondering if there's anywhere better (especially if we turn up on bikes this time).

dam
09-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi,

Not city centre, but the West End (on Byers Road, lots of pubs & restaurants nearby). Has its own car park which is above Waitrose.

http://www.hilton.co.uk/glasgowgrosvenor

dam

big pete
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Premier inn just off high street in the Merchant city, doesnt get much more central! good resteraunts and pubs right close by and there is a watched car park Immediately over the road from it. I use it all the time when I stay in Glasgow. Ask for a room over looking the churchyard as well, really quiet.

Gordon H
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
And of course if you're in Glasgow for an overnight and fancy a couple of beers in a pub wi character - The Scotia Bar in Stockwell Street is no to be missed. If you are of a literary bent, The Clutha over the street is worth a wee look.

Cheers

G

MrsC_772
12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Cheers guys,

Will make a note of the pub names! A wee beer or two will definitely be on the agenda.

I liked the Merchant City last time we were in Glasgow. Found a nice pub/bar doing good Belgian beers but can't remember the name. (Because the first bottle the barman opened went was a bit lively and went everywhere, he let me have the remains of that one for free and gave me another one). There's also a South Indian restaurant I want to try (went to the North Indian one in the same group and that was good - think it was called dhabba after North Indian roadside cafes). The other half will be on a haggis-quest again, but I'd rather have a masala dosa!

After Glasgow, off up to the Priory Hotel in Beauly, and a couple of days exploring Highland roads and splendid scenery (and hoping the midgies will have packed up for the winter!)

Gordon H
13-08-2010, 07:31 AM
If you're in Beauly, have a look at the Clachnaharry Inn on that side of Inverness - great views from the rear bar, good food, good spread of beers and "interesting" character........ (Jealous in the extreme - enjoy!!)