PDA

View Full Version : Reg plates

Char
05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
more questions (bored at work)

small reg plates - yes/no/ - ?? guess the are against the law but what happens if you get stopped
:bunny:

Kato
05-08-2010, 05:01 PM
If you ever get stopped....and I never have (10yrs +) its normaly either a slapped wrist or a £30 ticket and told to change it ......

steeevvvooo
05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I had one on another bike (think it was 8x6, but may have been 7x5?) and never had trouble in 6 months. I “think” you can get on the spot fine, but not points? See link below

http://http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2010/July/jul2410-stopped-for-small-plate/ (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2010/July/jul2410-stopped-for-small-plate/)

It’s one of those things that some people get away with, others don’t. Same with baffles, bike areas/stop lines etc.

If you had an 8x6, no baffles, and stopped over the line at a front of a queue of traffic, I suppose you could get shafted, but I’ve done all of these (even squeezed past cop cars to the front of the queue at lights) and so far have been ok ***touches wood***

London seems to be more tolerant to these things though... :thumbsup:

Pomp1
05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Last time I got stopped (about 6 months ago) I got told that now DVLA can actually take the plate off you at the 2nd/3rd time. Still, I've never changed the plate and being stopped was down to being unlucky really. Used to be 30 quid on the spot, easily offset by the petrol saved in reduced drag.. Just don't take the pi$$ with size/font and shouldn't be a problem (although still an offence..)

Char
05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
OK that seems fair enought - not much has changed in the last 25 years

buzzbomb
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I got stopped by a right tw*t in uniform who got out of the volvo aready with his pad open and proceeded to measure the numbers and letters which were 5mm under size on a 8x6.
By the time I'd got my gloves and helmet off he was half way through writing the ticket and when he clocked me he dropped his pen, "not expecting an old age pensioner" I said that suprised you but he said he didn't know what I meant, any way 30quid and a photo for the record.
Number plate replaced with another 8x6 with a GB on it ready for belgium and correct size numbers and letters.
He also told me that he was a biker to which I replied that I hope I never meet him when I'm out socially because that would really **** me off.

Robot
05-08-2010, 09:15 PM
A*sehole !

He11cat
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I rode with a ickle plate for a few years.. I did have a one liner long skinny plate for a week but it was asking for it really...

Can't see the issue myself if its a little bit smaller and not in some stupid handwriting script... long as its readable from a distance.

I smashed my plate, nice big wheel mark through it in a nice arc shape..
plate place at bike shop would only make me a real size one!!!.. hmmph

Looked stupid on a german stubby streetfighter with his upturned tail!!
But seeing as I had ridden um many miles on no plate as it was up the A14 somewhere I was lucky I spose not to get stopped.

One lad has magnectic ones which he just changes if 1. asked or 2. has MOT... :)
just can reach round and slap it on genius..

Why do they do that???????? I hear that so much .. they book you for something trivial and then say I am biker you know!! ... err like it makes it any better!!!

We had two cops in our local club ... and they where never anal about things or jobsworths.
Usually tell you off and send you on your way... as long as you where not being a total idiot and going to kill someone in the process.
They would not put up with drunk driving/ riding but to be honest most of us would take the keys off someone about to get on a bike after a skinful you just would.

I don't think I would want such a person socially mixing with me ... not when one of your own is looking to book you as soon as he gets his uniform on... no thanks!!

Rally
05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I use to own R11 LLY that when in a straight line with a bolt in the right place read "RALLY". I was pulled up and the copper said I can't read your number plate, I asked him "What do you think it says?" he replied "R11 LLY". With that I said, yes well done. No problem then! He was lost for words and let me go.
A couple of months later I was told to sell it or it would be conviscated, sadly Subaru Pro Drive now own it.

BluprintZ
05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
It's probably easier to just buy a private plate, then if you change the bike, you just transfer the number to the new bike, my mates had the same number for years.

There was an article from a reader in this weeks MCN.
He said one of the plod that pulled him, engaged him in conversation whilst the other one measured the number plate...it was 1cm undersize.
£30 on the spot fine, no endorsements for this type of offence.

Thing is, the rider had the proper size plate under his seat!!!
His reason for the undersized plate, was that it enhanced the bikes sporty appearance and that he wasn't trying to evade capture...?!!

I don't wish to give the cops any reason whatsoever to pull me over, i don't want them clocking me in any way, i don't trust the feckers.
Therefore, i try to keep the bike as legal as i think fit, meaning anything that could give plod reason to stop me, then i'll make sure they have the least reason possible.
My plate is standard size and to be honest, it's never really entered my head to have a smaller plate, i'm not sure i understand why anyone would....or am i missing something here?!

G ; ) :scratch:.

Char
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Your right - problem is I still think i'm 19 sometimes - had a police escourt into Poole Quay the other night - just sat right in my blind spot with a big grin on his face - Dork

walpole68
06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I keep my full size,cant be doing with being pulled and then they start sniffing around your bike and note no baffles in,pipe says for race use only etc,small plate is the quickest way to get pulled.

Darkness
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I keep my full size,cant be doing with being pulled and then they start sniffing around your bike and note no baffles in,pipe says for race use only etc,small plate is the quickest way to get pulled.

Not so easy with hi-level Termis though as the gap between the cans is too small for a standard plate!

BluprintZ
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM

I agree, i rplaced my cans with a set of louder ones, sounds like it should do now.
Same problem with "not for road use" stamped on them, so don't want plod copping (sic) them.

G ; ) :mand:.

rac3r
06-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Not so easy with hi-level Termis though as the gap between the cans is too small for a standard plate!

This is what I have. I can live with it but it's annoying :chuckle:

Yorkie
06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
The cops usually hear me before they clock my rear plate, by then its too late.

Loud cans save lives and small plates look cool!

Yorkie

He11cat
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Not for road use fell off my cans dunno how... But then so did half the can

utopia
08-08-2010, 01:39 AM

I cut my std plate down to 221mm x 152mm and that just fits between my high level termis. Been running the plate for 2 or 3 yrs with no problem, but didn't expect any cos it still looks kinda legal. Mind you, the cans only went on recently and they are maybe a tad loud. Mine are marked "for race use only", which I've heard is more acceptable (?) than "not for road use". Anyone know more on this ?

Saint aka ML
08-08-2010, 03:00 AM
Not for road use fell off my cans dunno how... But then so did half the can

Yep some vandal ripped off half of my logo of my exhaust which by accident did say not for road use, I have no idea who would be such a areshole?! :)

Lack of baffles is not illegal if your cans do not have the not for road use or race use only logo.

I had been stopped but not done for a size smaller plate on 749 two times.

I have a stupidly small plate on a monster and no one gives a crap.