PDA

View Full Version : Is this bike UK or USA?

granturismo
05-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Hello All

A quick question regarding the provenance of the M900 I just bought....

When I test rode the bike, It had the standard white speedo face but has the '55' limit usually marked on US speedos. Straight away I thought, 'hello, US import?'. I also noticed on the exhaust cans some text that ended in the words 'federal law'. Again, US import?

I mentioned it to the salesman and he couldn't explain it. The log book showed it as being registered from new in the UK and has only one previous owner. It is registered on a UK plate and has been since the previous owner bought it as new. The bike was so damned good and exactly what I wanted that I bought it anyway.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these bikes being imported as new to the UK from the US? Maybe it's had parts from the US fitted through the years. I'm a bit worried that I've told my insurance company it's a UK bike, so any input would be gratefully received. Many thanks. :confused:

Gilps
05-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Bikes in the US now have orange reflectors on the sides of the front forks so that's usually a giveaway. Not sure how old that bit of law is so maybe earlier bikes don't have them fitted. If yours does though then it's a fair indicator that it's a US bike.

jimbo696
05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
orange side reflectors have been on US bikes since the 70s....
I wouldn't worry; why would the insurance co care?

AndyP
05-08-2010, 07:21 AM
US bikes also had extra emission controls, a canister behind one of the side panels IRC.

Pomp1
05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
The stamp on the exhaust is only a warning that is an offence to tamper/modify the exhaust under federal law(noise emission).My 996 has that and is not an import. The speedo is probably a part bin/replacement job, however it should say on the V5..

slob
05-08-2010, 07:53 AM
US bikes also had extra emission controls, a canister behind one of the side panels IRC.

I think that's just California.

giler
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Speedo could have been fitted from new. My 900 has it but is definately UK and speedo is original, knowing Ducati it's what speedo they had in stock on the Friday afternoon:chuckle:

Fugly
05-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I used to have a 906 Paso (yep I was the one who bought one ;o) and it was a UK bike via 3X and had the 55mph speedo and exhaust markings.

I think Ducati did UK & US variants as one in the same, don't worry about it just enjoy the beast

Fugly

granturismo
05-08-2010, 09:07 AM
That's answered my question guys, many thanks. personally I'm not bothered if it was an import, but you know how these slimy insurance companies can be - "oh well you said it was a uk bike so we're not paying out..."!

Yep, I'm going to enjoy the beast. Thanks again. :mand:

w108rna
05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
That's answered my question guys, many thanks. personally I'm not bothered if it was an import, but you know how these slimy insurance companies can be - "oh well you said it was a uk bike so we're not paying out..."!

Yep, I'm going to enjoy the beast. Thanks again. :mand:

I had a '97 M750 with the 55mph clocks. Mine was a full UK bike, so i wouldn't worry about it.
On a side note, i see you are in Little Neston, i assume you mean the one on the Wirral? I am down there all the time for an Ice Cream at Parkgate, so look out/listen for me on my Monster.
What spec/colour bike have you bought?
Mark

granturismo
05-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeh, Little Neston on the Wirral. I'm about 1 mile from Parkgate. I take it you get your ice cream from the post office (that's the best)!

I've bought a 2001 registered (although probably an older model 'cos it has carbs) yellow M900. Quite nice with a white power rear shock and corbin seat. I've taken the nose fairing/screen off 'cos it was directing the wind blast right into my helmet. Much better now. What about that dry clutch clatter??!! I love her already!

I'll keep an eye out when I'm next in Parkgate. Take care.

w108rna
05-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeh, Little Neston on the Wirral. I'm about 1 mile from Parkgate. I take it you get your ice cream from the post office (that's the best)!

I've bought a 2001 registered (although probably an older model 'cos it has carbs) yellow M900. Quite nice with a white power rear shock and corbin seat. I've taken the nose fairing/screen off 'cos it was directing the wind blast right into my helmet. Much better now. What about that dry clutch clatter??!! I love her already!

I'll keep an eye out when I'm next in Parkgate. Take care.
All the lads i ride with hate/laugh at the sound my bikes make with their open clutch covers. I forget how many times i've been stopped by people who ask 'is it supposed to sound like that?'. Dry clutches all the way!!!

Fugly
05-08-2010, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=w108rna;358627]All the lads i ride with hate/laugh at the sound my bikes make with their open clutch covers.

hahaha there's nothing funnier than rolling up behind another bike at a set of lights whne they've not seen you coming and let the clutch out, they nearly always start looking around there bike for the nasty rattle :chuckle:

The look of relief when they see a Ducati sat there is really funny. I see it as another positive aspect of owning a Ducati

Darkness
05-08-2010, 06:26 PM
:spin::spin:[QUOTE=w108rna;358627]All the lads i ride with hate/laugh at the sound my bikes make with their open clutch covers.

hahaha there's nothing funnier than rolling up behind another bike at a set of lights whne they've not seen you coming and let the clutch out, they nearly always start looking around there bike for the nasty rattle :chuckle:

The look of relief when they see a Ducati sat there is really funny. I see it as another positive aspect of owning a Ducati

It works for me!

Though a pilot in a chinook got me worried when he snook up behind me on the M3!

:spin::spin: