PDA

View Full Version : To motard or not to motard

DevilBoy
29-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Evening all

It's been a long while since I posted on the monster club, but I thought I'd pop back and get some advice from you knowledgable lot.

My S4 is getting on a bit now, and I'm looking for something to ignite my biking fire again.
I'm not much of a sports bike rider, and I wanna stay in the ducati family. So I'm looking at a hypermotard S.

Can anyone who owns one or has ridden one give me a few good points/ bad points?
Are they as mad as they look?
How would it compare to an s4 speed and handling wise?

Cheers dudes!
Db

Saint aka ML
29-07-2010, 11:51 PM
You just have to ride one as it is the riding position that was the thing I did not like.

Engine is the 1100DS so good fun, longer m-way is a pain.

slob
30-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Massive fun, brilliant engine. For me it'd have to be a second bike it just seems too impractical for everyday use, the odd bit of touring and two up work etc. As Saint says... you need to ride one and make your own mind up.

singletrack
30-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Fantasic bike, great fun, easy to ride slow, great to ride fast.
it gives a really good grin factor.
I love the riding position and it is very comfortable on long journeys (although you do need very strong neck muscles)
It is also fantastic on the track.

I have just had a 22 litre tank put on mine and now it is also a great touring machine. 170 miles before filling up :mand:

Cue gratuitous picture of Hypermotard:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/singletrack_photos/hyperrsedited.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/singletrack_photos/WWWW2408.jpg

buzzbomb
30-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Just like Rob says its got a great engine and is massive fun but I have to disagree with him as to being a second bike, you can make them very comfortable with a remodelled seat and normal mirrors.
My advise is don't ride one because you'll not want to give it back.

BTW Anne whats with the big fuel tank...won the lotto? :chuckle::chuckle:

slob
30-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Fair enough, the one I tried (Anne's first one) was bog standard.
I took it for a short spin... and came back an hour later having had to refill the tank.

singletrack
30-07-2010, 10:47 AM
You are right slob - a standard Hyper is ideal as a second bike. I was getting fed up of filling the tank every 80 miles or so - inconvenient for my riding buddies too.
The new tank is a revelation - but a VERY expensive one ( £650!) but I believe there is going to be a mid size tank available soon too.

buzzbomb is right - don't take one for a test ride unless you are prepared to buy it. and start spending a fortune on non-essential modifications.

samieb
30-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Oh and by the way. from a 'funny' point of view. Buzzbomb can be an expensive friend to have too sometimes, but none the less a very good and helpful mate. If any of you have seen either of his bikes you'll understand what I mean.

Thanks for the help & advice Geoff... :chuckle: :booze: :chuckle:

I'll get my coat....

The Hypers are great bikes. Never ridden anything like it before and was quite apprehensive when I bought it. After nearly 2 yrs ownership and a round trip to WDW2010, I can't part with it. Would like an M1100s, but have plenty to do on other projects presently. Maybe 1 day soon? Watch this space....

DevilBoy
30-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I've booked a test ride tomorrow on the 800 version, as they didnt have any 1100's in the cardiff ducati branch.
I might pop over to bristol and try one of their 1100s if the weather holds up.

At the moment I am riding the 2 miles into work on my S4, and I got for a blast on country roads on the weekends.
The missus has expressed an interest in coming out for a ride every now and then, so how are they with a pillion?

What im looking for is something that I can throw around corners, kill some sports bikes off the lights, and frighten children with the noise.
Oh, how is the noise with a set of termi's?
Quieter than an S4?

DB

markh
30-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I had a demo on a HM796, absolutely loved it.

buzzbomb
30-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Whats that coming over the hill, is it a monster, is it a monster...:mand:

NO its devilboy on his new hypermotard...:rolleyes:

Don't do it Brett...:worried:

DevilBoy
30-07-2010, 05:34 PM
LOL

I know, its gonna be hard not having a monster anymore.
The worst thing is I used to explain, with pride, that my bike is a MONSTER.

Now i'll have to correct people who ask if my bike is a retard.

He11cat
30-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I would like to try one .. they have grown on me.
First one I saw I pulled an ewww face but then I sort of kinda liked it..
I can't even have a go .. too short unless they make a childs version?
170 on a tank (ok you had an upgrade) thats dam good....oh not to have to stop so much!!

Scare small children , quick off the lights ..kill sports bikes... scratches head...
Got 30-50k???? buy a vyrus !! small scary and looks oodles of fun!!! ok a sports bike but different :)
I am off to do my lottery.

You know your get on that motad and like it :)

singletrack
31-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Hellcat how tall are you?

Mine is the "child's version" you are talking about. It has been lowered an the seat sculpted - i am only 5'4" and it fits fine :biggrin: I can get both feet almost flat on the floor.
Other taller people who have ridden it love the setup too because it feels like they sit in the bike rather than being perched on top.
I think they should all be like mine.

banditloon
31-07-2010, 02:31 PM
My mate Bob had an 1100 Hyper for just over five months and he is now glad to see the back of it. As Slob said, it is a second bike. The hyper fits nicely as a mad play thing as these pictures of my mate show...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/IMG_0155copy.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/IMG_0131copy.jpg

He now has an 848 and is being just as daft, but slightly more comfortable on the new bike.

slob
31-07-2010, 03:24 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/IMG_0131copy.jpg

Kneedown? I can do that with my eyes shut!

neilbaldry
31-07-2010, 04:15 PM
On pulic roads....... Surely not mister officer!

benson
31-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Ahem... I am indeed Lady Retard D'Hyper and I love my 1100S. It's nearly three years old and I love it. Did I say that already? Remodelled seat - mega gel inserts and alcantra leather stuff on the outside males it comfy for as long as you want to ride. (And it looks lovely too.....)

I have the single sided carbon termi system. It has been known to set car alarms off whilst cars are moving...GREAT sound and well - I love it. Did I say that already?

The engine is insane - and the ride is unlike anything I have ever experienced before. I have learnt to live with the tank range but if the bigger tank was less expensive I might just get one as it can be a right pain to keep stopping (more opportunity for tea and cake however...).

I ride it to work and back which can be the M25/M1 between north east London and northampton but once I'm there it comes into its own on A and B roads with a few graceful twists. :biggrin: It is easy to ride in my view - slow or fast - and actually it's the bit inbetween that makes me smile the most - the engine is simply wonderful. :eyepopping:

Did I mention that I like it a lot??? :)

I haven't ridden the smaller one, they weren't about when I bought mine but I have to say the 1100 engine is well...awesome ......DId I mention that I like it - a lot? :biggrin:

Enjoy. Buy one. Buy ear plugs. Buy it presents and you will love it forever...

There. Said it. I love my Hyper...

buzzbomb
31-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Well come on Brett you've read how much us owners love our retards so spill the beans was the demo road test good or was it GOOD...:biggrin::biggrin:

DevilBoy
31-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I thought i'd keep you guys waiting with baited breath!

As you know, I test rode the small hypermotard today.
Was out for an hour and a half, with a mixture of motorway, twisties and city riding.

The bad stuff?
The mirrors, although they look rad, are a bit on the silly side.
The ride is extremely uncomfortable on the motorway, being a 6 foot 1 bean pole, I got blown around quite a bit. I didnt think it'd be worse than a monster, being a naked bike and all, but it was far far worse.

Now, the good stuff.

I think that I would quite happily step over my dead grandmother while on the way to sell my wife and house to buy one of these, and have a lunatic crack head grin on my face the whole time.
it was just amazing.
I never thought I could ride that fast, that easily!
And that was only on the baby hyper, so I cant imagine how nuts the big boy is!

The suspension is just awesome. The breaks are like nothing on earth. The noise, even with standard cans was pretty good, but you can hear the beast trying to get out, so I bet it'd ROAR with termi's.

It feels like I have been banging around from bike to bike, trying sports bikes, trying naked bikes, doing track days, trying to get fast and feel comfortable doing it.
And I accomplished more in one test ride today than I have in the last 9 years riding.

How's that for a review?!

Needless to say, i've got my eye on two on ebay, one for £5900 and one for £6400 with all the bits. So im gonna have a sleep tonight and think about WHEN not IF I am gonna get one.

Anyone wanna buy a bike? Can't remember what one it is. Its a black think. Think its called a.... ummm... monstar or something.

scrapps
01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Mmm i was looking at hypers at the bike shop yesterday and fancy a test ride on one. I think the 796 would be my first choice. sadly they had sold the 796 monster so could no have a closer look at that for now.

benson
01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
So pleased you enjoyed it. I have never regretted the hyper, it's a special bike in many different ways. Wish you well with the sale!

simon_g
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Mirrors are easily replaced with conventional ones.

I stumbled across this MCN article (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/staff-test-motorcycles/staff-bike-blog-ducati-hypermotard-796/may0610-staff-bikes-ducati-hypremotard-9-ways-youre-wrong/) from their long-term testing and it makes me want one all over again. Their point about suspension is interesting - it actually has less rear suspension travel than the current Monsters (but a bit more up front, contrary to what they imply). The bigger tank (linked in the comments) in interesting too - 200+ mile range but pricey at $800.

BluprintZ
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
...The bigger tank (linked in the comments) in interesting too - 200+ mile range but pricey at $800.

I had the same delema when i bought the EX-Box for my 900 re-build.
But, i knew how i wanted the bike to look when finished, so it was through gritted teeth that i parted with £900 for it.
I think it's down to the whole concept of making the bike more user-friendly for what your needs for the bike are, so yes, the tank sounds (is) expensive but when it's bought and fitted, you soon accept the outlay i think.

This thread has caused me a delema, i have been considering a test ride on a BMW F800R lately, maybe i'll try a test ride on a HM first?...maybe!!

Damn you!

G ; ) :eyepopping:

buzzbomb
01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Come on George get your self down to your local ducati dealer and give Dangerous Dave a chance to twist your arm, they've got a hypermotard demo, it's only money...:mand:

singletrack
02-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I had the same delema when i bought the EX-Box for my 900 re-build.
But, i knew how i wanted the bike to look when finished, so it was through gritted teeth that i parted with £900 for it.
I think it's down to the whole concept of making the bike more user-friendly for what your needs for the bike are, so yes, the tank sounds (is) expensive but when it's bought and fitted, you soon accept the outlay i think.

This thread has caused me a delema, i have been considering a test ride on a BMW F800R lately, maybe i'll try a test ride on a HM first?...maybe!!

Damn you!

G ; ) :eyepopping:

I have ridden both the 800R and the Hypermotard. The Hyper leaves the BMW standing on all accounts. - Now the K1300R - that might be worth trying :cool: but I wouldn't swap my Hypermotard for one.

BluprintZ
02-08-2010, 07:49 AM
You aren't wrong Anne, BMW have brought out some awesome looking bikes out over the last few years, the K1300R is deffinately a fine looking bike.
The Monnie was giving me problems with my hips, due to the riding position, so i bought the Thruxton because i needed something which gave a more "sat up" riding position, it's a very nice bike but it's also very heavy.
I do like the look of the F800R but i'm thiking the seat/footrest/handlebar position may well be similar to the Monnie, so the idea of a test ride was to confirm this, one way or t`other.

The HM riding layout looks to be more simpathetic to those of us with ageing joints but i certainly don't need the 1100, it would be wasted on me really, so the 796 is probably a more attractive option, we'll see!

G ; ) :mand:

buzzbomb
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
George the hyper up right riding position is perfect, I found that the bars were to wide and the mirrors not my cup of tea so I replaced the bars with rizoma black bars and the mirrors are from DP with indicators built in and had the seat remodeled, job done.
I first test rode the hyper from your friendly local dealer and went for a blat around some of your local roads with an old friend following me and he told me that he'd never seen me so comfortable and relaxed on any bike as I was on that retard, the seed was sown and the rest is history.
Get down and see dangerous Dave and have a demo I'm sure you won't regret it.

BluprintZ
02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Get down and see dangerous Dave and have a demo I'm sure you won't regret it.

Cheers Geoff, although i'm not sure who D Dave actually is...!!:confused:.

My local Ducati/Triumph dealer is Woods, up in Abergele.
They are only 45 mins away and i do pop in there quite regular for bits and pieces...and a do-it-yerself brew.
The weather has been really sh!te here for the last few weeks, high summer?..ha, i spit at it!
Anyway, i'll probably have a run up to Woods in the near future and have a chat about the HM, i get on pretty well with them, although rather than part ex the Thruxton, i would most likely sell it privately and then try and do a cash deal for the HM.
The 796 is actually priced quite well, pretty much in line with the F800R, so i'll probably test both bikes and make a decision from that.

G ; )

DevilBoy
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
My advice is dont test ride a hypermotard unless you are prepared to buy one.

Because from the moment you step off it, you will think of nothing else but getting back on, until the desire consumes you and your life is left in ruins.

That's my advice.

rac3r
02-08-2010, 12:48 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/DavePrsv/Milan%202008/DSCF0042-1.jpg

http://www.ncrfactory.com/eng/html/19.00.shtml

WANT!!!!!!

BluprintZ
02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
That's right...rub salt in the wound!

Point taken, watch this space!!

G ; ) :mand:.

DevilBoy
05-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Done!!
I'm picking up a 2007 hypermotard S tomorrow.

5000 miles, termignonis, no cat, high lift cams, carbon everywhere!

Got it for £6200.

Pictures to follow. So excited!!!
:)

BluprintZ
05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Got it for £6200.
Pictures to follow. So excited!!!
:)

Well done DB, not a bad price mate, looking forward to the piccies.

G ; ) :thumbsup:.

benson
06-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Brilliant news - you will not be disappointed... I think to get some gel in that seat is also a good move - Stan, leather tailor (!) sorted mine out and I got in touch with him through Rosso Corse- I've got his number if you want it.....

Enjoy!!!

BluprintZ
06-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Brilliant news - you will not be disappointed... I think to get some gel in that seat is also a good move - Stan, leather tailor (!) sorted mine out and I got in touch with him through Rosso Corse- I've got his number if you want it.....

Enjoy!!!

Now, now Rachel, stop winding him up already, the poor lad will be bankrupt by the time he's finished with the mods.

G ; ) :chuckle:.

benson
06-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Nooo - these bikes need presents and for you to adore them!!!
Buy gifts for the Hyper - Buy gifts for the Hyper! :mand::mand::mand:

buzzbomb
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Nooo - these bikes need presents and for you to adore them!!!
Buy gifts for the Hyper - Buy gifts for the Hyper! :mand::mand::mand:

#1 on that Rachel...:chuckle::chuckle:

Only thing is, just when do I stop?...:banghead:

buzzbomb
06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Congrats Brett todays the day, come on tell all, is it as good as you thought and weres the pics.

If you want any help spending your money on mods give me a call, my friends say that I'm an expensive friend to have so be warned...:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:::chu ckle:

BluprintZ
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Only thing is, just when do I stop?...:banghead:

Like i said..., when you're bankrupt!

G ; ) :chuckle:.

DevilBoy
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
It is just madness. So different from the baby hyper.
I am almost inclined to say the baby hyper is easier to ride.
But the noise this thing kicks out is just scary!
Makes me jump!

I don't think I need to do anything to it! It's got all the mods I can think of.
Maybe get a ducati corse stripe kit, but it's perfect apart from that.

Pictures to follow when I get on my computer.
iPhone doesn't like the ukmonster site!

DevilBoy
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
And here it is!

What do y'all think?

(Does anyone know how to get large pictures into a post?)

steeevvvooo
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
love it! REALLY want one, but not sure I could ever sell the monster.

It's on my list for when I have a garage...

buzzbomb
06-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Nice one Brett, now let the modding begin...:chuckle::chuckle:

No seriously the bike looks the "DOG'S", and like you say its manic to ride.

Have a look on the motografix web-site, they have a front number board sticker kit.

BluprintZ
06-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice one DB, looking good mate.
Hope you have loads of fun on it.

The woodburner in the third pic, is exactly like the one i have in the workshop!

G ; )

singletrack
07-08-2010, 08:47 AM
It looks great. You won't be disappointed.
But don't ever believe that you do not need to mod it!

1st step - get rid of the built in handguards/mirrors/indicators - you can't filter with them!

(To get the pictures larger it is easiest if you put them on a website such as photobucket or flickr and attach a them as a link.)