PDA

View Full Version : M600 Chain and spockets

Ginger
27-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi Guys,
I was in riders in Bristol today getting a front tyre put on when they advised me that I needed a new chain and sprocket (obviously cant replace one without the other).

They've quoted me £250 to supply and fit which I think is extortionate.

I'm thinking that I could probably do the job myself because from what I can see it won't be a difficult job. (Famous last words!) What sort of price should I be looking at for chain and sprockets? I think Riders said that the parts were about £130 for genuine Ducati but I wouldn't be fussed about putting on aftermarket parts as long as they are not made of cheese.

I'd really appreciate any help that I can get on this as I really can't afford £250 at the moment. I'm owed 2 months wages and I'm living off beans! :(

desmo
27-07-2010, 06:16 PM
The price you have been quoted sounds about right for the parts & labour.
Don't skimp on a cheap chain & sprockets, it's not worth it.
You could do it yourself & save about £100 on the labour charge, but you will need a good quality chain breaker/riveter which will cost you anything up to £80 for a decent one, unless you can borrow one from somewhere.

crust
27-07-2010, 06:58 PM
These people will sell you a kit for about £100

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/drive-kits.html

The quality will be as good as original.

You then have two choices

1. fit the chain with a split link, some people will say this is akin to jumping off clifton bridge naked, me, I'd happily fit one to my GSXR1000 because I've seen drag bikes making massive power use them, had many on my bikes over the years, never had a problem.

2. Ask B and C to rivet it for you, then fit it yourself, to do this you'll have to take off the suspension hoop and hugger. Not too difficult.

I'd say try doing the job yourself, there's plenty of people on here will give you support

Ginger
27-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Split links can hold. I'm an engineer and I've spent quite a bit of time working on chain driven winches that are used to lift jet engines and missles on fighter jets so expensive stuff hence you need to know that they can hold.
I'm thinking the B&C kit and from as far as I can see it's not too hard of a job just a case of removing the rear wheel really. Any tricky parts that I sould be warned of?

andie
28-07-2010, 01:50 AM
I got my chain and sprockets replaced for £165 by a mechanic

BluprintZ
28-07-2010, 05:06 AM
I paid around £115 for an X ring renthal chain and sprocket kit last year.
Fitting it yourself will obviously depend on your level of competence and confidence.
The hardest bit will be breaking the chain and replacing the blind link that comes with the chain kit.
Any decent bike shop will have a link extractor and when replacing the blind link, i make sure the link is on the rear sprocket, to give it support and then i use a wide-ish screwdriver and give each link pin a sharp hit in the middle, this will spread it and should be fine.
I doubt if a split-pin can be used on an O or X ring chain, for obvious reasons.

G ; )

Ducmon
28-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi,

you can get a cheap rivetor from Louis here in Germany for DID chains.

http://www.louis.de/_40506d87bed9881c49b2847f4eb8904a72/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10003170

David

BluprintZ
28-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi,

you can get a cheap rivetor from Louis here in Germany for DID chains.

http://www.louis.de/_40506d87bed9881c49b2847f4eb8904a72/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10003170

David

How much?....:eek:

G ; )

adam15
28-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I've replaced mine twice now and you'll probably be looking at about £110-120 for gold x ring chain and sprockets.
It also worth consider dropping a tooth on the front which increases the acceleration and makes it a smoother ride round town, just thought I'd mention it.

Ducmon
28-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi George it cost 49.95 € but it worth getting some spare pins at the same time. I think they cost about 3-4 €. If you would like one I could go and buy it for you and post it to you.
Thanks for the pods. They make my bike run a lot better.
Pm me but I will be away for a week.
David

gary tompkins
28-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I bought this kit from M&P over ten years ago - cost £30 then

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/500600/Chains-and-Sprockets/Chain-Tools/Motion-Pro

Used it to replace about a dozen chains on mine or Sandra's bikes since. It's also been borrowed by several UKMOCers, and currently on loan to Shuffy. Might seem an expensive purchase but it's paid for itself 10 times over in saved labour charges. Splitting the original chain is much easier if you grind the pins down first with an angle grinder or dremel.

Doesn't get much use on my own bikes now - thanks to Scottoilers ;)

desmo
28-07-2010, 03:24 PM
TBH, I don't bother trying to push the pins out of the old chain, I find it's more hassle than it's worth.
What I do is drop the old chain off both sprockets & let it hang down on the floor, I then just put an angle grinder straight through it (no point faffing about, the old chain is scrap anyway)

When I fit the new one, I just make sure that I just flare the soft link pins a little at a time so that I don't over do it & end up with stiff link in the chain.

Shuffy
28-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I bought this kit from M&P over ten years ago - cost £30 then

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/500600/Chains-and-Sprockets/Chain-Tools/Motion-Pro

Used it to replace about a dozen chains on mine or Sandra's bikes since. It's also been borrowed by several UKMOCers, and currently on loan to Shuffy. Might seem an expensive purchase but it's paid for itself 10 times over in saved labour charges. Splitting the original chain is much easier if you grind the pins down first with an angle grinder or dremel.

Doesn't get much use on my own bikes now - thanks to Scottoilers ;)

I've done two chains using this (one on my 750ss and the other on my old Speed Triple) and I have to agree with Gary it works really well and is very easy to use, providing you carefully grind the original soft link down first. The only slightly 'tricky' bit is putting the outer plate on over the O rings, but you can use the tool without the pin in to push each side of the plate down. When you've finished riveting the soft link make sure the link isn't stiff, if it is tap a blunt screwdriver between the outer plates (being careful not to damage the O rings) to loosen it a little.

slob
28-07-2010, 04:01 PM
worth buying an new plate for the front sprocket if there are any signs of wear on the existing one
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=37963

Gareth
28-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Worth a good look at your suspension layout - With the swinging arm mounted on the rear of the engine, I found that I could pull the old chain off intact complete with engine sprocket - so I got new chain riveted by the dealer I bought it from - X-ring chain + sprocket kit - about £120 in 2008. Bike is 2002 M750, so not sure if/how relevant, so hope useful. Gareth

slob
28-07-2010, 09:36 PM
That's a little easier on injected monsters, on carbed models the chain passes inside the rear suspension hoop.

Zimbo
28-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Tsubaki X-ring chain and renthal sprockets from B&C Express and get them fitted by your local independant bike shop if you don't want to do the job yourself. Higher quality than the Ducati genuine one and half the cost.

gary tompkins
29-07-2010, 10:00 AM
That's a little easier on injected monsters, on carbed models the chain passes inside the rear suspension hoop.

Depends on frame type

My 2001 900ie still has hoop rear suspension, but a year later they switched to non-hoop rear end

jerry
29-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Split links are fine for all power IMHO I have had 3 chains break over the years all with rivet links and it was the rivet link that flew off all properly fitted with correct tools and peened ...so now i only use split links !!!!!!!

Phatty
29-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I just fitted a DID ZVM2 x ring gold to my S4, with jt sprockets. £123 plus £22 for the tool from bikespeed.

Feels like a new bike, old one must have been knackered a year at least!