PDA

View Full Version : M600 insurance

He11cat
26-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Bloody Insurance company just automatically renewed and took my money!

I have argued with them saying its not on.. I just sold the bike concerned and to get out of loosing the fees they are now taking from me (robbers) they said get insurance for the Monny from them.

Well Bennets quoted me got to laugh £250 for a 1999 M600 ... which is £60 more then what I pay through Carol Nash .. oh they put my premium up as well despite me being older and hopefully wiser..oh thats not including the adds on like personnel accident..

Im 38 so not a kiddy and a girl... (yeah ok ok this should add danger money clause for us terrible women drivers ! :rolleyes:)..

So anyone about my age paid less then £200 for their fully comp insurance??? or am I paying about the right price..

Not using Footman James either... 3 cock ups they have made this year and I have just gone to get a tax disc and got hauled in as they got one digit of my reg wrong so cock up number 4.

I won't use Bennets again Its wrong they just automatically renew your insurance and take what they like from your account .. try and argue and they wont budge..
Think of how many folks that happens to .. money for nothing.

My fault for not checking the date but I really disagree with then just automatically being able to help themselves to my private bank account!!!. :mad:

lisyloo
26-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry that you don't like auto-renew.
But you would have agreed to it upfront when you took the insurance.

If you have a problem with remebering when your insurance is due for renewal (diary??) then why don't you use an insurer that doesn't use automatic renewal.
One I can mention is ebike if you pay up front.
They have pros and cons that I'd be pleased to explain if you are interested.

But unfortuantely auto-renewal is very common now on recovery, home and motor insurance.
If you don't like it then take your business to a company that doesn't do it.

However you will have maximum choice if you put the dates into a diary and lapse the policy at the appropriate time.
I would have thought most people who can remeber MOTs, dental appointments and familt bithdays shouldn't have too much problem with recording the dates.
Sp my advice is that you need to deal with it.
If you restrict yourself to companies that don't do it, that will be very restricitve in your choice.

He11cat
26-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I have had that insurance for a while .. don't recall.. still a bloody cheek as far as I am concerned.

Yes I am forgetful. But when you have what I have going on at the moment its a wonder I recall anything.

Actually none of my other insurers have automatic renewal and never have done..
So its the first time I have come across it.

I just don't like giving someone money for a service I do not want or require anymore and I don't like people dipping into my account..

Its my choice when I renew .. and if I renew.. and then to charge me a bloody admin fee.. because they are shut on the day my renewal was up and I had to wait til they where open .. not on.

I know other people have issues with this as well...

I also don't like dealing with a bunch of idiots who cock up my insurance 4 times in 3 months... its cost me 5 hours of calls to sort out..

No joke... if I pay for a service I expect it to be dealt with in a decent manor.... one mistake ok .. but 4 !!??? I am not rude on the phone but how close I was ...

take it your an insurance worked then :)

All I can say is I hope you do a better job then the dimmies who have caused me so much agro this year...

gremlin
26-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Hate to rub salt in but I paid £89 fully comp but then added protected no claims and leathers cover which was only about £50 I think. I am ten years older but haven't had a licence for so long so one should cancel the other out. I use our local broker and it doesn't matter what quotes we've got in the past they've always worst case matched or at best beaten anything we've thrown at them. I'm sure they'd be able to do you a good deal. I can pm details and see if they can help if you like.

He11cat
26-07-2010, 10:22 AM
yes please!! had my licence since 1993..

I would like cover for leathers my jacket is pants but as my boots are much needed and cost £300 to replace !!... I was fully comp with leathers last year on the monny for under £200 but this year its shot up..
I feel about 80 today... il pm you...im climbing the walls ..wonder if I hook up to a car battery will it act like a huge tenns machine ??

Nonnie
26-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey! I've paid about £50 for fully comp. Got £30 cashback, got Rod on the insurance too for 19p. Got 3 months free life insurance too and already got legal cover and helmets and leathers.

I will look it up and send you the details Mel.

And I haven't forgotten the other stuff either! I was in Ipswich at the weekend and forgot to bring with me. Sorry xx

lisyloo
26-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Did you get a renewal letter at all?
You should have got a letter about 3 weeks beforehand telling you that they were going to renew. It's generally one side of A4 with "WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NEXT" in bold, so it's not one where it's hidden in the small print.
It does happen that they get "lost in the post" sometimes either genuinely or cynically, but you should have had this soemwhere between about 2-4 weeks before hand.

If this is your first time, then be aware that it's becoming more common on houshold, car, bike, recovery (AA/RAC etc.) and magazine subscriptions or indded anything annuial or renewable.
You have a couple of choices.

1) Go with insurers that don't do this (like ebike). This will restrict your choice of insurers and possibly mean your quotes are less competitive through less choice.

2) Go round to your local insurance brokers office and give them cash over the counter. If you give them cash, then they can't dip into your account. This doesn't mean they won't renew your contract and pursue you for the money, but they can't dip into your account.

3) Most practical suggestion to give you access to ALL insurers and most competitive quotes is to put the date in your diary one month ahead. That gives you time to shop around and either continue or lapse the policy. Make sure you lapse and not cancel the policy. Cancel can mean stop immnediately. Lapse means let it run through to completion but don't renew. Words can be important when dealing with call center operators. I suggest sending instructions by recorded delivery (75p) to ensure they aren't lost. Phone instructions can and do get lost. If you insist on using the phone then get a name,date and time, so recordings could be checked if there was a problem. Some companies will cynically lose all cancellation instructions unless you have some form of receipt so snail mail with delivery receipt is safest (keep the receipt).

Hope that helps someone

He11cat
26-07-2010, 10:57 AM
No worries .. cheers I am not paying £250!!!..lol..
Thats a lot of angel delight !!! :)

scrapps
26-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Hc have you tried Ducati insurance ? I have found them very helpfull and have been with them 3 years now.(mmm must remember to phone them and take the ss off)

STIVH
26-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Another tick here for Ducati Insurance however it's the opposite with them if you do not ring and confirm and sort payment before renewal then they up the cost or you lose your no claims so you need to be on your toes.
The insurance offered is also suitable for up to 4 bikes so is amazingly cost effective.

Something else to remember is your location as this has a huge effect on your cost I am in the most expensive Manchester Post Code so always pay a premium even though I live in a relatively quite area for vehicle crime/accidents.

Liz
26-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I paid about £250 for the '94 M600 and the '06 S2R together with Carole Nash, (it should be cheap as the S2R never makes it back from anywhere - it seems to like their recovery service!!!).

Gordon H
26-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I managed to get under £95 for the 900, but add recovery / legal / presonal / leathers etc. and it worked out around £150 ish...... but then being an old fart helps too...........

One thing i noticed though was how little effect reducing the voluntary excess level had on the premium.....

Gordon H
26-07-2010, 12:15 PM
(it should be cheap as the S2R never makes it back from anywhere - it seems to like their recovery service!!!).

You'll be having your own dedicated recovery vehicle at this rate.......

He11cat
26-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Poor Liz .. :( my ER5 was like that... got to be a standing joke never even got out of town half the time!
I had one trip I think when it didn't break down!!!!... it even died when I brought it .. bike of the damned that bloody thing.

Im with Carol Nash on the monster..and thats now nearly £200 without some add ons..
Maybe when I hit the 40 then itl go down some more :)

Il get some quotes.....

As for the other firm... oh look here my renewal paper work has just plopped on the door mat... funny that .. but the money for admin and everything has gone from my account... it ran out yesterday and they where shut.... dunno what happened to the other stuff.. but the cert is being cent back recorded delivery...

Location is little town... lol not major city and not on the west side like!!

Lesson learnt anyhow...

lisyloo
26-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Looks like your renewal notice was "lost in the post".
I am very cynical about that.
I think some companies don't send them and then can easily blame Royal Mail.

For folks that don't like auto-renew then you need to be pro-active as I'm afraid you cannot rely on getting a renewal notice.

I do think this is bad and cynical but there is nothing you can do about it as they will simply say they sent it.

I am not paying £250!!!

Have they agreed to refund everything?
Or are they charging you cancellation fees and high rates for short term cover?

doobury
26-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I got mine from here £86 Fully comp on my M600

http://quotes.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/quote/default.aspx

CK & AK
26-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Noted on my insurance cert paper work in spring 2008 for the car (then was with M & S insurance) that UNLESS I contacted them, the car ins would automatically be renewed the following year.
I promptly contacted them to cancel this 'feature' and asked for confirmation in writing too.
Was worth getting the confirmation, as I was able to use it when they took money in spring 2009 from my bank card :rolleyes: 2 days after I had paid out to go with another company.

Managed to get compensation too, but it didnt help at the time as my account was zero'd for 5 working days, so M & S (eventually) paid out for the charges they incurred for me too :mad:

I now peruse ALL insurance paperwork - its suprising how many do auto renew, particularly if you sign up on the internet, its there on the completion or in small type - so do read all you can!

CK

He11cat
27-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Yup I think cancellation charge and the price of 2 days insurance... sunday and monday..

I will keep an eye on that one.. I am not happy...
Never had a problem with insurers and this year its been a total mare with mistakes galore...
I am pretty good now and each vehicle has its own little folder which when I renew goes to the bottom of the pile .. so the one on top is the one next for renewal.. and I keep the previous two years paperwork if I have it for quotes to compare..

I do keep an eye on when my tax is due... mot's as well and have never fallen foul of it before.

This year paper work has gone missing .. wrong details .. wrong quotes not even for the right bike.. wrong reg numbers on paperwork despite it being the same reg and bike as they had last year.
They mis quoted me 3 times.. for wrong bikes .. bikes that must be from a data base..that I have never insured with them??

Oh well I will be ultra careful from now on.. thanks for the advice on insurers I will have a ring round before the monster id due shortly!
And I will check thats not on auto renew!!

nope Carol Nash actually say this year you are not on auto renew.

lisyloo
28-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Make sure you keep your renewal notice(s) even if not biking for a while.
They are generally valid for 2 years for proof of no claims discount.
Originals may be required so it's really important to keep them.

Lots of people assume ex-companies will be helpful or that there is a national database with this information.
Not unreasonable assumptions but wrong on both counts, so keep the renewal notices as they are really important.

I don't have a car right now, but may well have one inside the 2 year period so I'm keep mine safe as I have 7 years NCD.
Generally after 2 years it's expired. There are some companies that accept it after that but no guarantee they will be any good or competitive.

BluprintZ
28-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I paid £98 with ebike, download and print the certificate, plus you can add extra bikes.
I got fed up with silly quotes and add-on's that i didn't ask for from other companies.

G ; )

lisyloo
28-07-2010, 10:32 AM
ebike have some pros and cons but I have been with them a few years.
All insurance is some sort of trade-ff in my opinion.
No policy has everything, so this isn't a criticism, just information.

pros are

competitive prices
up to 4 bikes and 4 riders (yes a couple can ride 2 bikes at the same time)
Protected NCD after 4 years
365 foreign cover
can make changes on line including weekends and often no silly fees as there is no manual involvement
breakdown and legal included

cons

Nightmare if you need to speak to someone. It's online only. They are meant to anwswer emails in 4 hours but won't if your query takes longer than that. Really hard to speak to anyone about your policy.
No 3rd party cover
No rallys (even non-competitive ones)

He11cat
28-07-2010, 06:43 PM
"rallys" .. I always wonder about that...

is that the sort I go to ie park and pitch..
or bike trials ...?? always wonder..
Although I have seen many a person dump a bike riding out on grass... ouch..

I have a few numbers to call... so will sit one day and see whats what!! ..

Thanks for that :)

iev
29-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Have you tried Dial Direct i paid £82 for my 94' M600 fully comp. I'm 38 and only have one year no claims, pehaps you should give them a try?

He11cat
29-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a good list to try now thank you!!!.. I have 2 years no claims now..
Had things gone to plan would have been 17 years no claims now that would have been good !!!

lisyloo
30-07-2010, 07:48 AM
A rally is something not this, not just a meeting of bikes
http://www.nationalroadrally.co.uk/2010/index.php
but if in doubt you need to ask the insurer and send them details of the event.
ebike are a bit of a pain on that as many rallys aren't competitive and you do them on your own not in a group.

In general NCD after 5 doesn't result in much discount.
So 5 years often = 70% discount.
Some companies go to 75% for 10 years, but the differences in discount are tiny.

Be aware that some companies have a max of 5.
So if you go in with 17 they will consider it 5 and your next renewal notice will say 6.
If this really bothers you, then you need to check out their max up front, but after 5 it makes little difference to the discount.

Ducmon
30-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I wish that I could get insurance that cheap. Here in Germany fully comp for my m600 would cost 600 € with 3 years no claims. :nash: