PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings

Johnnyrob
18-07-2010, 06:48 PM
The M600 failed the MOT last week as too much play on front wheel bearings. Once the wheel was off I could see loads of play on one side.

For the life of me I cannot drift the bearing out via the notch in the wheel spacer. I've tried all manner of bent and straight drivers and drifts.

I figure for £30 this should work -

http://1sttools.co.uk/det-0-0-26649_DRAPER-EXPERT-SMALL-INSERT-BEARING-PULLER.html?search=14173&type=all&schcat=0&schlow=0&schhigh=0

- anyone own/tried this tool?

Albie
18-07-2010, 06:58 PM
I managed it ok on my s4. I had to grind a kind of hook onto a chunky screwdriver but they came out easy enough. I drove them out from the back through the groove.

That kit looks like a cheap investment for doing it the right way maybe. Give it a go.

crust
18-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Place the wheel on an old tyre with the notch at the top.

Use a drift/old screwdriver, hammer it down a couple of times, rotate the inner sleeve 180 degrees, give it another couple of whacks, rotate sleeve 180 degrees, repeat.

If this doesn't work, heat the area around the bearing gently with blow torch, repeat above.

Those bearing tools are a pain, as you have to insert the ball part into the bearing, to do this you have to remove the plastic seal (easy) then the bearing cage - not so easy, shuffle the bearings round a bit then insert the ball ended bit.

An easier way if the top method doesn't work then I'd insert a rawlbolt and tighten it on the inner bearing race, making sure not to grip the spacer sleeve and wack it from the other side.

Bunny
18-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Not sure what you will pull against with that set ?
The bearings will drift out. Heat up the housing first if you need to:mand:

Nickj
18-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I've got one of those (Problem with a puller is actually having anything to pull against) but just use an old long screwdriver with the end ground down to fit into the slot.

Once the spacer was out I also made the slot a little bigger so it would be easier next time.

Johnnyrob
19-07-2010, 06:57 AM
NickJ - Will it not pull against the hub where the disc mounts? If you can confirm, that'd be great.

I'll enlarge the slot once out; that's good advice.

Johnnyrob
20-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Bit the bullet and dropped the wheel off at the bike shop. Easiest option & now sorted! :)