PDA

View Full Version : disc skimming

gregski
12-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Is anyone know good place to get my discs skimmed ??

Cheers Greg

crust
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
No where, if they're warped enough to detect then by the time they've been skimmed flat and to an even thickness then they'll be below the wear limit.

Once they get too thin then they'll overheat more easily and warp again.

Check its not the bobbins got dirt behind them causing them to be misaligned.

gregski
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
it is a bit deferent in my case front some time age when my bike was of the road front pads sized on the disc and I've got a rusty mark on the disc and when I brake my bike is jumping like BMW with a faulty ABS heheh
the rear one just been changed and it is a bit to thick as it touch is the bracket whitch colds the caliper
even after a short ride the rear disc is very hot

simons
12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I used to run a caterham track car with an big ap brake set up. they would glaze when cold and rust instantly when left standing, but a good clean up with emery paper would sort them, might be worth a try on your fronts. just make sure that you sand across the disc mating surface.

Nickj
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
The patch of rust is standing a little proud of the rest of the disk and is rougher. Problem is that it's going to be a really small difference and skimming takes off a fair chunk.
Try simons rubbing or a small diameter disk at low speed and run round the whole disk with a bit more attention to the proud area. Use the first method first!!

CK & AK
13-07-2010, 08:23 PM
No where, if they're warped enough to detect then by the time they've been skimmed flat and to an even thickness then they'll be below the wear limit.

Once they get too thin then they'll overheat more easily and warp again.

Check its not the bobbins got dirt behind them causing them to be misaligned.

Spot on advice :)

it is a bit deferent in my case front some time age when my bike was of the road front pads sized on the disc and I've got a rusty mark on the disc and when I brake my bike is jumping like BMW with a faulty ABS heheh
the rear one just been changed and it is a bit to thick as it touch is the bracket whitch colds the caliper
even after a short ride the rear disc is very hot

Do what Simon says below for the front.
There is something wrong with the rear - its either the wrong disc for your bike, or something is not aligned properly. If an aftermarket one I'd check its actually the correct one for your bike.
If a genuine one, then you need to re-check to see what is out of alignment.

I used to run a caterham track car with an big ap brake set up. they would glaze when cold and rust instantly when left standing, but a good clean up with emery paper would sort them, might be worth a try on your fronts.

AK