PDA

View Full Version : Fake Levers

rac3r
10-07-2010, 12:22 PM
There was someone on here who bought those Chinese Pazzo copies off ebay has anyone else bought a pair? Are they any good?

I've got a set but they haven't arrived yet

Stafford
10-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I might have a set of those and they are blooming good
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/S2R_Lever_1.jpg

Saint aka ML
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Guys I know that some will not agree but levers, especially brake but on italian bikes clutch as well, live under hard stress and such cheap levers would worry me in regard of strength and possibility of snapping while using them, brakes mainly.

I would still have a pair as spare under seat.

Nickj
10-07-2010, 07:57 PM
You get the same on RC helicopter forums, if it's not branded then its automatically bad .... Like everything you pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
Some stuff will be good, others look identical but be appallingly bad .. Some will be off the same production line that makes branded originals, some stuff seconds and others made of cheese.

I remember the same being said about Benelli with their 4's and Sei, wonder where they copied them from, just can't put my finger on it

rac3r
10-07-2010, 07:58 PM
From what I've heard on the other forum they are as solid as the Pazzo's and made from the same stuff. The only negatives are regards to fitting on some bikes and anodizing.

I'll post up when mine arrive

CK & AK
10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Lucaz (Saint) - we have cheap as chips levers on the race monsters, cost about £15 - £20 a pair but do the job well. They are a consumable item when racing......they are not good qual finish but they work & stand up to the stresses of racing - and break just the same as OEM or DP ones when the bikes hit the deck

rac3r
10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Lucaz (Saint) - we have cheap as chips levers on the race monsters, cost about £15 - £20 a pair but do the job well. They are a consumable item when racing......they are not good qual finish but they work & stand up to the stresses of racing - and break just the same as OEM or DP ones when the bikes hit the deck

How do you think they would stand up to normal use?

Saint aka ML
10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
You get the same on RC helicopter forums, if it's not branded then its automatically bad .... Like everything you pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
Some stuff will be good, others look identical but be appallingly bad .. Some will be off the same production line that makes branded originals, some stuff seconds and others made of cheese.

I remember the same being said about Benelli with their 4's and Sei, wonder where they copied them from, just can't put my finger on it

Nickj, CK & AK I know that there will be some cheap good ones. Problem is some one has to test it first. You use cheap ones on race bikes and yep fully agree consumables in such conditions. What brand or where do you get them from as others could try them as well.
I have plenty of items made in china on my bike, mainly anodised items, and most of them are very good quality said that none of htem are stress bearing items. I would not want to be the one who finds out that my front brake lever was not up to the job when needed.
That is only point I am making you never know.

Saint aka ML
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I guess it is the same situation as with exhaust or CF mud-guards/belly pans.

Some will say Termi as that is the best, DP CF for the same reason. Some will get exhaust they like/can afford over termi and CF that is of good value for money.

It is one argument that is hard to settle as it comes down to personal choice.

CK & AK
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM

well, they stand the stresses of racing - so under much more load than in 'normal' use.
Bike-it are the usual suppliers

scrapps
11-07-2010, 08:03 AM
I needed a new lever for the multistroode and Ducati wanted 59 pounds for a clutch lever so I ordered a cheaper copy for just 15.00 it fitted fine and looks just as good as the original.

jimz750
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
These cheapie levers - where from? Web or the bay? Info PLEASE X

rac3r
01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Ebay. I got sent 2 sets by mistake :chuckle: The ones I got weren't that great so I didn't use them but the best brand I think is called M-Label so look for them, don't by from 'shine trust'

LouSCannon
01-10-2010, 10:32 AM
If we were to always take the cheap sensible cost effective route I'm pretty certain there would be a lot less members of Ducati clubs.

Don't cheapen the name of Ducati with some cheap Chinese muck, treat her to some proper jewelry FFS!

Char
01-10-2010, 10:48 AM
If we were to always take the cheap sensible cost effective route I'm pretty certain there would be a lot less members of Ducati clubs.

Don't cheapen the name of Ducati with some cheap Chinese muck, treat her to some proper jewelry FFS!

cubic zirconia or diamonds - personally I rather not bother if I couldnt have the real thing :rolleyes:

He11cat
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I got some nice ones from spareshack got to get em on the bike as yet lol!!

Also depends what you like ... Like with jewels and stuff if I like something il buy it be it 50p or 2grand what ever floats my boat and does the job!

Diamonds and gold not for this girl .,, I only wear silver not expensive but that's what I like :)

jimz750
14-10-2010, 10:44 AM
:spin:Just bought and fitted some m-label £59 for the pair off ebay - Bloody good levers. Great quality (as good as my mates £130 Pazzos) excellent communications and took 8 days from Hong Kong.

Would recommend

gregski
14-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I might have a set of those and they are blooming good
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/S2R_Lever_1.jpg

"might have a set " are they for sale ??

jimz750
15-10-2010, 07:06 AM
they are on ebay.
Search Seller m-label parts?
Ducati Monster levers and it should come up. There is another company selling a load for £29 a pair but they are pants.

mit
16-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I ordered the £59 mlabel ones a couple of days ago - waiting my 2 weeks delivery time for them to arrive. Will report back. My original ducati brake lever seemed to be made of plasticine and the brake pedal snapped right off, so if the mlabel ones are even 20% stronger I'll be happy.

CoolHands
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Here's the shop for anyone searching

http://stores.ebay.com/Mlabel-parts

and here's an example of a listing with the brake levers for a monster
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-Monster-900-1000-01-02-00-05-Brake-Clutch-Levers-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a1c1e173QQitemZ29047 6646771QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

approx £57 inc shipping at current rates

popelli
08-11-2010, 07:15 AM

have a pattern brake lever on my wifes monster, apart from the word ducati missing off it it is identical and probably out of the same production line as the original

re benelli sei's and what they are copied from, I have riden both, one I was impressed with and the other I wondered what all the fuss was about, it was slow, gutless and like riding a barrel of lard

I'd happliy park a benelli in my garage but there would never be room for what it was copied from, in some cases the copies are better than the original

scrapps
08-11-2010, 11:41 AM

I dont think keeping a Ducati on the road on a budget is a bad thing :grump: I would rather that than have to ride a honda so i could afford the original spares :eyepopping:

Dookbob
08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I,m thinking that we are all going to have to get over this story about the Chinese stuff being junk. I remember how we used to say the same about the Japanese stuff. Little did we know that we all had our heads stuffed up our ( you know whats ). The Chinks will get better year on year just the same as the nips did.

samieb
09-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Not everybody can trust the cheap stuff. My friend is the main importer for Pazzo's into the UK and he has a very plausable point. Would you trust a cheap copy brake lever on a very expensive bike? Say a 1098R/1198S Corse Edition or a Desmo for EG.

Personally speaking no 'I' wouldn't. However there are people that have to use the cheaper option because its the only way others can afford there bikes. I do think that from a racing perspective its feesable to use the less cheap levers considering how many you may use in a season.

In the end of the day its each and everyone to there own. You pays your money and you takes your choice, we're all different.

Having had an off with a Pazzo lever 3/4 years ago I know that in 99% of the time it'll still be usable, so long as the bar end hasn't snapped off ofcourse. They can be scratched like mad or ground down to a fashion and still get you where you need to be. Like most 'new to the market items from a new supplier'. You never can be sure just how 'much trust' you can put into it, especially when not many people have tested the items.

jimz750
09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a friend who does amatuerish club racing and uses copies from a cost point of view.
Racers use levers a lot harder and more often than the likes of you and I - Point is if they hold out for racing they SHOULD be more than OK for general use.

If the lever breaks in a spill - My view would be thank F***K I'm still in one piece and not be wondering if the lever would be in one piece if had bought the more expensive lever.

utopia
09-11-2010, 04:18 PM
I see it like this.....
These levers (the M.label ones) are cnc machined from exactly the same grade of alloy as more expensive ones and they use stainless steel fittings. I can't see there being any difference whatsoever in materials quality or manufacturing tolerances. The anodising may be of lower quality, but I kinda doubt that would be a major issue. Seems to me that its only the design itself where there's much likelyhood of lower quality, but as they are to a large extent copies of a proven, quality design, I can't see that being a huge issue either.
I may be wrong, but my judgement would be that they are extremely unlikely to fail under normal usage, ie to snap or bend under heavy braking.
As far as their ability to stand up to a crash is concerned, it is actually more important that they don't......levers such as this are designed to break rather than transfer stress to the next component, ie the master cyl assembly which would be much more costly (and hassle) to replace.
And I can't be doing with the view that somehow only the ones with the expensive label are worthy. If they're good, they're good..and if they're bad, they're bad. The label makes no difference.
I agree with Hellcat that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I prefer silver too).
And I agree with Dookbob's views on chinese manufacture.

He11cat
26-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I just looked for the store given on here for ebay for m label ..
I had some levers (not those) and they don't fit my bike :(

It said store doesn't exist now. I saw some copy ones for a bike the other day and asked the chap about them and he said he took them apart and had a look .. was happy with them and had been using them.

utopia
26-03-2011, 11:10 PM
I just searched for 'ducati monster 750' on ebay and they came up on the first page.
They seem to be available for £37 now, too......:biggrin:

He11cat
27-03-2011, 12:02 AM
M label ones ?? I really do need to go to specsavers soon!