PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak on day 1.

markh
10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I finally got round to picking up my 796 yesterday afternoon.

50 miles later i fill up with fuel; the fuel then begins to leak from what appears to be the back of the tank, under the seat. Due to the location, the fuel was dripping onto the hot exhaust. It's fair to say I was cacking it.

After a 1 hr wait the recovery van arrived; Without a trailer! 2 hrs later a recovery truck arrived and I got the bike home at around midnight.

I checked this morning and it's still leaking.

I'm looking forward to 10 o'clock when the dealer opens.

Welcome to Ducati eh!

Stuart42
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi Mark

welcome to the club and the world of Ducati.

As I understand it this is a common problem, but luckily you've got a dealer who should fix it for you.

Best of luck and hopefully you'll join us on a Hampshire run?

Cheers
Stuart

markh
10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Cheers mate. It's with the dealer now.

I'm looking forward to getting out with new faces.

Albie
10-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi Mark

welcome to the club and the world of Ducati.

As I understand it this is a common problem, but luckily you've got a dealer who should fix it for you.

Best of luck and hopefully you'll join us on a Hampshire run?

Cheers
Stuart

Well I dont know if the fuel leaks a common problem on new monsters for tank leaks. Are you thinking steel ones at the hinge. These are blow moulded and extend down to under the front of seat. I do know there are times where fuel vapour smell it noticable on these models as I have smelt it myself.

I trust you didnt over fill the tank and that bad luck is happening either with a pinhole or a leaky connector seal etc.

motojohn
25-07-2010, 08:06 AM
i bought a 2001 s4 on friday and could not help but but notice the stick of petrol in the van on the way home .
on closer inspection i found the bike had been leaking for some time even staining the frame . it looks like it been leaking from the fuel pump sender but time will tell

slob
25-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Quite common on older monsters John.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=38203&highlight=leak

gary tompkins
25-07-2010, 11:39 AM
i bought a 2001 s4 on friday and could not help but but notice the stick of petrol in the van on the way home .
on closer inspection i found the bike had been leaking for some time even staining the frame . it looks like it been leaking from the fuel pump sender but time will tell

Theres a sealing washer in there that often fails, especially if sender is removed and replaced. Grumpy just had to buy one to fix a leak on his S4, and it took ages to track down parts via Ducati.

markh
17-08-2010, 06:54 PM
It turned out to be a defective batch of tanks, there's since been a recall of affected bikes.

gary tompkins
18-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Nice to see the quality control issues at factory have been sorted :rolleyes: