PDA

View Full Version : Multistrada oil pipes

scrapps
01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a 03 Multistrada and its started to blow oil from the oil cooler pipes.
I had a look and the pipes connect to two elbows on the engine front and its coming from the joint from the hard elbow to the flex pipe. (top pipe) on inspection the pipe is loose and the joint moves. before I start fiddling with it and trying to tighten I just wondered if its just a screw fit and can just be cleaned and tightened or if its not going to be that simple ?:confused:

Trent
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
You should be OK just tightening it up again.

My Multi did the same thing where the oil pipe connects to the oil cooler - tightened it up and had no further problem.

PaulV
01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
There was a recall for something to do with the oil cooler on early multi's. Might be worth checking with a dealer to see if yours has been looked at.

scrapps
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Just had another look and can't see any way of tightening that joint ?

Trent
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Ahhh... You're right.
I just had a look at the parts manual - looks like it has the hose crimped onto the end of the solid pipe. ( I assumed it was a male / female mechanical type joint)

Looks like you'll either need to:

A: Replace the pipe with a new / used Ducati part

B: Take it to a hydraulic hose manufacturer / repairer and get them to repair it. (crimp a new steel sleeve on it, or try to re-crimp the existing one)

C: Carefully cut the crimped steel casing off and replace it with a hose clip (jubilee clip).

scrapps
02-07-2010, 07:37 AM
That's what I feared. I have gone from 3 working bikes to having no working bikes on a sunny weekend. Grrrr
The monster has still not been sorted and it is sat at dhracing I have sold the ss and now the multi has a oil leak.
You have got to love Ducatis !

He11cat
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
:( is always the way..
I hope you get one sorted fast.

I understand but at least I have a runner...
I have a Carb problem with one.. one needs work to put it up for sale, and my commute bike needs fork seals , chain and sprocket kit and has a oil leak...
Then its MOT and insurance on 3 of the bikes... in July. what a smart move that was not...

I am seriously thinking of selling my bikes and keeping my commuter and the monster... sadly I am not a flush as I was when I brought them and its bleeding me dry at the moment... as well as the car!! grrr
My outgoings for vehicles now its crazy.

I hope the sparkly one comes back good as new and quickly!!! :)

gary tompkins
02-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Scrapps - try the guys that made up Max's (Pomp1) oil cooler pipes

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=37035&page=2

http://www.pirtek.co.uk/

They looked great, were made to measure and possibly cheaper than Ducati's originals? They have branches in Ashford and Sittingbourne too ;)

Pomp1
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Pirtek are really good, and use traders' prices.A stainless set should set you back around 70 quid. suggestion: get both pipes down at the same time and save £££. THe only thing I've never got round to ask them is if they could sleeve them with plastic.
Oh, and they've got the biggest catalogue of parts ever..

scrapps
02-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I will contact them and see what they can do.
Protwin have them on the shelf but are £65.00 +vat for one and £75.00 +vat for the other :eyepopping:
I still dont know what its going to cost to get the monster fixed as they havent started it yet....:grump:

scrapps
02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
:( is always the way..
I hope you get one sorted fast.

I understand but at least I have a runner...
I have a Carb problem with one.. one needs work to put it up for sale, and my commute bike needs fork seals , chain and sprocket kit and has a oil leak...
Then its MOT and insurance on 3 of the bikes... in July. what a smart move that was not...

I am seriously thinking of selling my bikes and keeping my commuter and the monster... sadly I am not a flush as I was when I brought them and its bleeding me dry at the moment... as well as the car!! grrr
My outgoings for vehicles now its crazy.

I hope the sparkly one comes back good as new and quickly!!! :)

The sparkly one is living on borrowed time.....if it does not run smooooother than a very smooth thing covered in very smooth stuff upon its return I will pull it to bits and sell it all off cheap on ebay and buy a jap bike from the money made. grrrrrr grrrr grrrr
and as for the numptystrooodle that may not live long at this rate :grump:

sorry rant over :hissy:

PaulV
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
as I previously said.....
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=2025E99980FDE38E80256F5F0037AC 53&freeText=Blank

Go and check with a dealer before you splash the cash.;)

He11cat
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
lol..... now you don't mean that... :eyepopping:
I could break my kitty but I just couldn't do that to a rare bike...
Has the most fussy carb set up ever but once done they run well but you have to use them!
At this rate I may have to sell the katana .. lovely bike but its needs to be ridden and I am not riding it to work.. I can't even get in and out of our bike sheds due to people blocking you in... breaks my heart.

Maybe its the curse of the shiny things .... I am getting worried now...
Maybe if I paint mine its going to kick up a stink as well... maybe they get a prima donna attitude...

maybe you should spray your monster matt black itl work then lol!!

Do black bikes work better then silver bikes ??? oh btw my Kat is silver ... curse of the silver & shiny bike syndrome.

Plus better the devil you know!!!..

scrapps
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM
as I previously said.....
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=2025E99980FDE38E80256F5F0037AC 53&freeText=Blank

Go and check with a dealer before you splash the cash.;)

Thanks PaulV I have checked and mine is a very early multi and is on the recall list.
spoken to Ducati in Ashford and they are going to get back to me later.
If they do sort it I will owe you a large drink :)

Albie
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks PaulV I have checked and mine is a very early multi and is on the recall list.

That maybe a good result for you. Only thing is you may have to wait and obviously trailer it then.

PaulV
03-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Pleased to help. Hopefully you'll get a result and I'll get a drink!:biggrin:

He11cat
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Hope it get fixed under warranty !

Guess what the curse of the shiny bike struck today... mines broked... so now I am 3 bikes down and one half running... :( :(...

scrapps
06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Still no news on the recall they have found it and ashford said it looks like it should be covered but are still waiting for the reply from Ducati.
I just want to be able to ride one of my bloody bikes maybe I should not have only purchased Ducati's :hissy:

scrapps
14-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I seem to have a good result on this one. Ducati have agreed to sort the recall and are sending the bits to the very helpfull and nice people at Laguna Ashford.
I am happy that Ducati have offerd to do this 6 years after the recall and that my local(ish) Ducati dealer has taken the time and trouble to deal with this for me.:hail:

PaulV I owe you a very large drink thank you for the info :spin:

PaulV
14-07-2010, 02:24 PM
no probs, I knew from previous experience that the recall wasn't exactly priority and owners were not aggresively chased up. Mine only got done 18 months ago...