PDA

View Full Version : Loosening lock-tited mesh oil filter - any tips?

Gunsoku
28-06-2010, 08:23 AM
http://thingymadoodle.com/monster/img/mesh.jpg

I'm having a bit of an issue, trying to loosen the plug that 'hides' the mesh filter (4). :(
Not being 100% sure if I needed to unscrew the sensor plug (6) on the cover as well, I thought I might as well ask here - I did it anyway, but no luck unscrewing the actual cover (3).

Also, there seems to be an additional sump plug, below the mesh filter thingymajingle (7) - I unscrewed and refitted this, as I thought this might have been the cause the cover didn't come off, but it was just a wee sump plug. Anyone know what this does?

I did a search on the forums and apparently this is a known issue, the mesh filter being a bit of a pain to remove. Also, the workshop manual states using lock-tite to refit it again, so it's no wonder the bugger won't come loose.

Does anyone have any tips on loosening the darn thing? My clutch cover is off for the next couple of days anyway and the oil is drained, so I might as well give it another go. I've put some penetrating oil on it, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for that to work...

Also, clutch cover is off (http://thingymadoodle.com/monster/refreshing-clutch-cover/) - after some budging with a hammer. :dizzy:

Gunsoku
28-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Bollocks, I just realised this post may have been better off in a different Technical sub-forum - if any of the mods would like to move it, please feel free to do so. :)

slob
28-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Obviously you need to unplug the wire to get a socket on the plug but you don't need to remove the sensor itself to the remove the plug. "7" is just a blanking plug where an oil gallery is drilled in production, don't need to touch that either. Other than a good quality socket on a long lever can't offer any further advice, sorry.

Trent
28-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Obviously a bit late now that the cover is off, but some heat (ie run the engine up to normal temp) can help to loosen it.

Now that the cover is off, a 1/2" drive impact driver with the correct size socket will probably break the seal if you give it a decent whack (don't hit it so hard that you crack the case though!)

Nickj
28-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I've never loctited these in, they come out so often it never seemed worth the bother, not had one loosen either so even less worth the bother.
Seems a bad idea in anycase as it's soft alloy so just a nice hand tight fit and it won't be going anywhere.

Gunsoku
28-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Cheers for the replies - the engine was warm when I tried, as I just heated it up to let the oil drain. I guess I'll have to try with a bigger lever...

On another note: anyone know what Ducati recommends/uses to seal the clutch cover? When I took it off, there were some remains of some kind of rubbery/silicone stuff, as opposed of a gasket like I expected.

Sorry for the nooby questions, I'm sure I'm not the first, nor the last. :)

slob
28-06-2010, 04:57 PM
3bond ducati gasket.
it's about £15 a tube but a worthwhile investment if you're doing your own engine work.

Gunsoku
28-06-2010, 05:23 PM
3bond ducati gasket.
it's about £15 a tube but a worthwhile investment if you're doing your own engine work.

Awesome, cheers for the info - just ordered a tube/thingy of ThreeBond 1215.

Another 25 quid ... /sigh