PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ireland..First ducati..many questions!

bonesaw
27-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Hello folks,

Well done on the site..Just bought my first Ducati, 2003 Monster S4. It came over here from the UK and has UKMOC stamped on it so here I am with the first of many stupid questions. Please bear with me as Ducati's are not very popular over here so I don't have anyone to ask. The one and only Ducati shop in Ireland is 170 miles away.

As I am only familiar with Japanese bikes, I am finding the gearing a little odd but very enjoyable. The only problems I am having are at very low speeds,ie turning at junctions in town and at cross roads..Second is too fast but I'm reluctant to go to first while moving..Is it ok to go to first while approaching a junction or should I grow a pair and corner faster in second!

Any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks..

desmo
27-06-2010, 11:21 AM
The gearing on Ducati's is quite tall, some people change the front sprocket from the standard 15 tooth to a 14 tooth to cope better with town riding.
Until you get used to it, Ducati's can be a bit snatchy around town, after a while you just get used to it, there is no problem with selecting 1st gear whilst moving, you may even on occasions have to slip the clutch on a very low speed manouver.

Nickj
27-06-2010, 01:58 PM
And the motors toss out more torque so do pull from very low revs, it just sounds a lot busier (OK clattery comapired to a jap) if you go into first. A bit of practice and you won't need to bother anyway.
Maybe undiscovered by the discerning is better than unpopular ;)

bonesaw
28-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks fellas..

Albie
28-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I did go down one tooth on my s4 and yes it makes a difference. Unless you want to do 140 mph you wont miss it. Smoother round roundabouts and slightly swifter acceleration.

One thing is make sure you regularly adjust your chain tension with a 14 tooth as the tighter radius brings the chain nearer to swingarm rub strips. Not a problem but a good maintainance point to save your swingarm wearers and bolts.

ricky
28-06-2010, 08:16 PM
hi ya mate im ricky the northern ireland rep..... welcome to the club!!!!!

im in enniskillen but am in grim reapers mcc so be all over ireland doing rallies and stuff!! so might see ya about!!!

bonesaw
29-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks Ricky,
I'm down in Limerick..Let me know if you're heading down these parts..I'll be the guy stalling the monster!!

utopia
10-07-2010, 02:47 AM
My mother was a Dungarvan girl. I'm bound to be over sometime. Maybe for a road race. Anyway, my 750 is more docile I guess, but I found that a swift half dip of the clutch on slow 1st or 2nd gear turns, just before picking up the throttle is enough to smooth things out and then enjoy the torque pulling a nice long gear.....kinda what its all about :-) Balanced fuelling (mine has carbs) will help. Good chain care...I rate scotoilers. Also maybe a freer-flowing exhaust...mine was loads better at very low revs after I fitted high level Termis, tho the extra length may have helped too. They may be a tad loud...... Last but not least, cambelts. Be certain of their service history, or change them now. There are good videos if you do your own spannering. Its a breeze on my 2 valver.

bonesaw
13-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the info so far lads..
I had it out at the weekend for the first long spin to a road race..I'm getting used to the gearing and town driving and am very happy all round..The only problem I had was that when I slowed down to stop or nearly stop, the bike was cutting out..As the day went on I found myself having to keep hitting the throttle and slipping the clutch in towns to keep it from stalling in first gear..Any ideas?..It's due new belts which are going on this week.