PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts whats the story

iev
20-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I was in a garage yesterday and was told that I couldn't improve the horse power on my old 94 M600 by adding new cans! Is this true? While I know the bike will look better with new cans I want it to perform better and I cant afford a full system. Cheers P.S. It was a Triumph dealer as well as a garage!!??!!??

slob
20-06-2010, 09:47 AM
You may get a modest increase if you adjust the carbs/air filter to match. Don't expect more than a couple of HP though, you may also remove a few kilos.

iev
20-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I was going to change the sprokets so I got a bit more acceleration which is what I'm trying for. An exhaust change seems the next improvement but it has to give me so extra go!

slob
20-06-2010, 10:34 AM
You're unlikely to get a significant difference, although the extra noise may make you think you have.
Might also be worth considering how much you (dis)like your neighbours and what your local plod are like.
Going down a tooth on the front will make the bike smoother at low revs and is definitely worth doing.

CK & AK
20-06-2010, 10:36 AM
As Slob says above - you'll lose weight if you lose the std cans, thus increasing the power to weight & getting more oomph in a minute way.
Just changing the cans will not increase your noticable acceleration - you will possibly gain up to 1rwbhp at best.

johnsy
20-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry to high jack the thread, but what is the best way to increase HP/top-end, after removing my airbox, dyno-jetting, standard front spocket i can now get 7.5k revs in top, so figure i can't increase top speed anymore or can i ?
Anyone tried going up 1 tooth on the front?

slob
20-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Think you'd have to drop one at the rear, not sure you'd fit a 16 in the gap, I had trouble slotting a case saver in round a 15. The thou goes to 8.5k and personally I'd rather have the smoothness of the 14 than 140mph performance on an unfaired bike.

iev
20-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I want more low end grunt as I'm looking to get my front wheel up and for the love of me I can't at the moment. Not looking for straight line top end speed I want acceleration for around town High-jinks and bendy road thrashing. Where you're just not going to get break-neck speed so I was hoping for break-neck acceleration(ish). Going to do a tail chop so that should loose some weight! Going to do the sprockets but want more!!!!

gary tompkins
20-06-2010, 06:02 PM
50bhp won't provide break neck acceleration even with sprocket swaps

There is no substitute for cc's which is why many upgrade to bigger monsters

johnsy
20-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Think you'd have to drop one at the rear, not sure you'd fit a 16 in the gap, I had trouble slotting a case saver in round a 15. The thou goes to 8.5k and personally I'd rather have the smoothness of the 14 than 140mph performance on an unfaired bike.

I'm just greedy, i want the performance of a S4r, but without the plumbing or changing bikes. I've never had a bike that i've felt so good/ confident on. My only regret is i didn't get a Monster earlier rather than Jap bikes

crust
20-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Johnsy, it is possible to take an M900 motor from the standard 70odd bhp to just over a 100bhp.

From where you are now

a lightweight flywheel will enable the motor to spin up a bit quicker

Hi-comp pistons will give it a bit more punch

FCR41 carbs give a lot better acceleration and better fuel consumption - yes a perforance mod that pays for itself.

944 oversize bore

ST2 cams apparently these give a big power boost

CA Cycleworks red heads with split FCR41s

Depends how much you've got to spend, I've done the FCRs and have been well impressed with the boost plus the increased tank range is well worth it. I can get 160 miles to the tank even caning it.

iev
20-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I thought the m900 was 80bhp! well 78 anyway. I think what were saying here is Ian get a m900

crust
20-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I thought the m900 was 80bhp! well 78 anyway

On a good day when they were new, the IE model, down a hill, maybe.

To be fair I did say odd bhp

Having seen dynos deliver differing figures on different days and different dynos deliver different figures again I don't believe any of them.

As a tool for measuring differences on the same machine they are usefull ie improvements or otherwise due to tuning as an means of giving a definitive power output they're about as belivable as a politician.

Paranoid Dave
21-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Back to the 600, years ago I was always told you need to adjust the set up (or power commander) when you put performance cans on a bike, but not to worry about it on the M600 as the difference was not enough to worry about.
Says it all really but nice to know you can play with the looks all you like and not have to worry about fueling. :D

johnsy
21-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Johnsy, it is possible to take an M900 motor from the standard 70odd bhp to just over a 100bhp.

From where you are now

a lightweight flywheel will enable the motor to spin up a bit quicker

Hi-comp pistons will give it a bit more punch

FCR41 carbs give a lot better acceleration and better fuel consumption - yes a perforance mod that pays for itself.

944 oversize bore

ST2 cams apparently these give a big power boost

CA Cycleworks red heads with split FCR41s

Depends how much you've got to spend, I've done the FCRs and have been well impressed with the boost plus the increased tank range is well worth it. I can get 160 miles to the tank even caning it.

Cheers Crust, i've coped this list, i'll now start hunting, roll on more ponies :thumbsup:

Blah blah
21-06-2010, 06:59 PM
If you're adding cans then you need the filter, big hole in the top of the airbox and Stage 2 Dynojet to really notice the difference apart from noise.

Then braided brake hoses and suspension set up and you'll be embarasing in-line jap 4s on most of the twisties anyway (which is what it's all about)

Albie
21-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Even the new 1100 ds engine only puts out 95 in standard form. Not bad considering its 6hp down on a 4 valve 916 s4 engine. I wonder what someone will tune a 1100 too with lots of money. Maybe 120 do you think or maybe more.:idea:

Nickj
21-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Have a look at http://www.bikeboy.org/performance.html Johnsey, lots of info on mods made to 2V engines and what happened to the power output.
Don't be put off by the title, when Brad was getting sett up the web site he said he had to put in three options, put his best option first and this one for a bit of a joke.... LOL He is now bikeboy