PDA

View Full Version : WDW 10 # Rescued by UKMOC

Simon A
18-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Thought I'd join the forum in order to say a big :biggrin: thank you to Max, Nick and the gang for getting me back on the road when the Foggy Rep 'died’ right outside their hotel :hissy:

She had been running like a dream through France and Switzerland, but deteriorated during the hot Italian weather and eventually a battery charging problem inflicted a mortal blow (first major mechanical failure in 3 years, so can’t really complain!)

Suffice to say the problem did not go away and once again unfortunately I broke down (terminally) on Swiss/German Border. After 36 hours in Ducati Basel, the problem was apparently fixed and after 55 miles I broke down again near Strasbourg. Another 5 hours in a Ducati garage and after covering another 300 miles during my final ‘drive’ to Calais, another dead battery. Jump started by a kind trucker and then had to bump start off the ferry. Being pulled by the Police at 0100 near Maidstone with virtually no lights and no number plate (fell off near Lake Como) was the last straw.

Anyway, it was a trip I will remember mainly for meeting a great bunch of people, being able to ride on some sublime road, riding through week long tunnels, drinking some good wine and generally eating excellent food.

:ukm:were fantastic! Many thanks again for your support and the friendly banter. Hopefully the attached pics will give a flavour of the 'highs and lows' of my trip.

Simon A
18-06-2010, 06:25 PM
More pics . . . .

Pomp1
18-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Simon, you've been monstered!
Max

rac3r
18-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice bike!

gary tompkins
19-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Ahh.. the Ducati bike wash

I think Skanks camera went into meltdown :woot:

Stafford
19-06-2010, 07:40 AM
That's one hell of a jump start Simon, is this what Ducati's are all about the experience?

neilbaldry
19-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Ahh.. the Ducati bike wash

And all I get round here are a load of burly Eastern European blokes with a jet wash!

Great story and pics!

crust
19-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow, epic trip home. I see from the pics you did Muraglione, superb bit of road or what.

Glad you made it eventually.

oh, and cheers for the beer, thought we had it solved with the battery.

Simon A
21-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Think I've found the problem :nash:

Spent 6 hours giving the 'old girl' a good clean over the weekend and the following pics of what hides behind the battery tell a story. Also fitted a nice carbon insert around the clocks.

seby
21-06-2010, 07:51 PM
hi mate
hope you deicide to get a gel battery for your next trip :drunk:

gary tompkins
21-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Stafford's 888 had a very similar section of loom cooked in France

Nickj
21-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Looks a loom I had on a CBRR melted a treat, the electronics were never the same again.
Also had similar on a 600 Supersport, it was pretty the way that the connectors out of the alternator sometimes sparkled in the dark ;)
Also had similar sparklies from a helicopter the other day, for those who look at electric bikes a short on a 2200mAH battery was spectacular, I wouldn't want to be sitting over a big bank of the suckers!!! (a 2200 3 cell set will drop 50 amps easily.. then it burns)
Hope alls sorted and settled soon

Simon A
11-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Dropped the bike off in the local dealers (SNELL, Alton: excellent family firm), everything felt fine, but noticed the tail-tail 'flutter' of the rev counter when I switched on the lights. Returned the bike to the garage, only to breakdown on arrival (quite lucky really), so test rode a new Multistrada while they fixed it.

I think the problem only reveals itself when hot so a cold test of the system was not sufficent. Ho Hum!

Anyway, just sold the SP-2 and may buy the basic Multi + full termi (for the next WDW) ~ don't know yet, Mrs A doesn't know what I'm planning :rolleyes:

neilbaldry
11-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Pearly white S4Rs' are pretty!

Grumpy
11-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Mrs A doesn't know what I'm planning :rolleyes:

Simon, try the tactic a friend of mine uses with his wife......change the bike, put it in the garage, and see how long it takes the good lady to notice !:D:D

Lowsider
11-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi simon sorry to hear you trip home got worse... Those electrics look slightly knackered..

Don't be shy and do vidsit us on here as we don't bite... well most of us don't...

I'd love to upgrade my monster for something shiney and new but the wife would have my balls in a glass beside the bed before the deposit had cleared the bank...

BluprintZ
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm sure that not all of the lady's are as gullable as that, athough my youngest daughter lives next door to me and she thought i had got a fresh bike last week!
I'd had the tank cover on the bike for several months, then last week i took it off to give the bike a good clean, daughter came home from work and was convinced that i had bought a fresh bike.

G ; )

He11cat
11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I would notice!!

and the old trick of wait til she has a crap day and get something as she will be too grumpy to notice or not bother to say anything.. or wait til she is really really happy so she will say "thats ok dear enjoy" doesn't work either !!!...

New bike I wouldn't moan about at all...
But if its gadgets and stuff my top tip gentlemen is hide the box!!!!... a woman will spot the box either in the house or in the bin!