PDA

View Full Version : LED flasher relays

neilbaldry
16-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I need some of the above, and am not sure what to get. Could someone link me some off ebay or something pls? These are all I need to get my bike roadworthy for when I have a week off next week!

Stafford
16-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I thought most peeps just used resistors with the standard relay Neil.

rac3r
16-06-2010, 08:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-UNIVERSAL-LED-INDICATOR-RESISTOR-RELAY-NEW-/270582333557?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3efff6c075

Plug that in then the indicator. If you have 4 LED indis then you need 4 of them :thumbsup:

Bunny
16-06-2010, 10:22 PM
It depends whether you have LEDs all round or just front or rear.
If you have all 4 LEDs, you can get an LED flasher, but if you have standard bulbs and LEDs you need a different relay.
Is your relay 2 or 3 pin ?
I have all types here and can send you a link to ebay for the right one

neilbaldry
17-06-2010, 08:11 AM
It depends whether you have LEDs all round or just front or rear.
If you have all 4 LEDs, you can get an LED flasher, but if you have standard bulbs and LEDs you need a different relay.
Is your relay 2 or 3 pin ?
I have all types here and can send you a link to ebay for the right one

I am going for LED's front and rear. They are the 2 plug variety

Pomp1
17-06-2010, 08:25 AM
As a quick fix you could just wire a light bulb in-line.

Capo
17-06-2010, 10:18 AM
The flashers on your SCR, are controlled by a semiconductor relay on the board in your clocks, an associated comparator circuit looks at the current draw/resistance and provides an alternate input to the relay chip if the measured value falls below the value set for incandescent filament lamps, the effect of a logic 1 on the alternate input is to increase the flash rate, the intent being to warn the vehicle operator that a lamp has failed.

You could uses a secondary slave relay you'd need two and the resistance and power consumption would have to be close to the filament values.

The better solution is to put resistors in parallel with the LED's,
I put one resistor in parallel with each signal but have since discovered that they function normally with just two, one each side. Hence I have set available made up with pigtails and fitted to a mounting plates that would probably work on your S2R.

neilbaldry
17-06-2010, 02:16 PM
The flashers on your SCR, are controlled by a semiconductor relay on the board in your clocks, an associated comparator circuit looks at the current draw/resistance and provides an alternate input to the relay chip if the measured value falls below the value set for incandescent filament lamps, the effect of a logic 1 on the alternate input is to increase the flash rate, the intent being to warn the vehicle operator that a lamp has failed.

You could uses a secondary slave relay you'd need two and the resistance and power consumption would have to be close to the filament values.

The better solution is to put resistors in parallel with the LED's,
I put one resistor in parallel with each signal but have since discovered that they function normally with just two, one each side. Hence I have set available made up with pigtails and fitted to a mounting plates that would probably work on your S2R.

Being totally non-technical, I didnt get much of that!

cairojay
17-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I bought Oberon LED indicators all round and didn't need any resistors/relays for some strange reason. Flash rate is standard.

Trent
17-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Being totally non-technical, I didnt get much of that!

Basically he's saying, that if you're talking about an S2R (we are assuming this as you haven't told us which bike you're working on) then the flasher relay is built into the Clocks and cannot be changed.

You will need to add resisters instead of changing the flasher unit.

neilbaldry
17-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Being totally non-technical

How do I do that?

Trent
17-06-2010, 07:30 PM
How do I do that?

Do a search... You'll find numerous posts from others who have done it...

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/search.php?searchid=1424416

rac3r
17-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Dammit! Just buy the resistors like in my ebay link and plug that into the bike THEN the indicator

:moto:>>>resistor>>>indicator

do the same with all 4 :D