PDA

View Full Version : Protect the Electrics

robodonkey
14-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Anyone keep their Monster outdoors?
I've no garage, and we do (it is Ireland) get quite a bit of rain. A soft day is how we like to say it.
Anyway, been looking around the bike for places to spray up/protect and can see quite a few wires that look like they'd be better wrapped up / sealed somehow.
Anyone done a "weatherproofing" job on theirs?
Are the junction boxes weather proof enough?

:thumbsup:

Qba
14-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm using wd40 - that seems to work so far

Ducmon
14-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I use a cover when the bike is dry and when it is raining wd 40 protects the electrics and I have never had any problems. (touch wood)

analogue_rogue
14-06-2010, 01:59 PM
damp start!!! i use it.. it puts a layer of thin plastic like laquer over the connections.. works a treat

Nickj
14-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Give the connections a going over.. Seperate and clean the contacts then add a teensy smear of BP jelly or similar, stick back together and then you can squirt a bit of WD or damp start on if you feel the need. If they are dry and water does get in it can form that yucky green corrosion that will give you problems.
Did this on my IE and it was running fine with water up to the headstock :thumbsup: LOL Before you ask it also continued to run as nicely after too

Nickj
14-06-2010, 07:21 PM
OH OH Dont forget the power lead to the starter motor, the rubber seal traps water and the buggers corrode badly.. Clean till shiny then refit and shove thick sticky waterproof grease in till it oozes out of all the gaps is a really good idea .

the_adam
14-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Haven't had any problems with mine yet, it gets kept outside all the time unfortunately. When I put the new headlight on I discovered self-amalgamating electricians tape and got slightly obsessed with using it on everything :) Does make things look a bit tidier and helps to keep the water out.

He11cat
15-06-2010, 12:20 AM
I was a muppet and got some damp start on my kats paint.. its turned it matt white and has messed up the paint.
Me being over zealous and stupid but just a word of warning and t cut hasn't shifted it either :(

analogue_rogue
16-06-2010, 05:50 AM
how is the paint electrical? :P

He11cat
16-06-2010, 01:06 PM
lol... um... maybe its special light up paint ...
Kind of explains why my wheelie bin glows in the dark .. and nearly next doors cat.
:spin:

Gareth
17-06-2010, 08:48 PM
other thing to watch out for is leaking clocks - mine steam up horribly if left out in anything like heavy rain, nothing bads ever come this - yet, just takes a couple of days in the sun to clear it up.

rac3r
17-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Reading the back of the ACF50 can last time and it says it can be used on electrics so that should be pretty good