PDA

View Full Version : Frame mounting a fairing - advice needed...

Cutter
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Having seen a DD racer with one, I am planning to mount a desmo replica fairing but the supplier, TGA, doesn't supply the brackets/fairing stays. Does anyone know where I can get this stuff? Also I'm guessing the bracket or stay (?) needs to mount to the headstock - is that right? Do I need to get something welded on there before I get the frame powder coated? Any help very much appreciated...:dizzy:

chris.p
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Most DD'rs use a 748/916 or even a 848/1098 one, depends on the type of rairing that you are going to fit.
I have fitted both a 1098 & a 748 fairing to a 600ss DD bike and a 748 fairing to a 620 monster, a little cut & shut is needed but overall it is pretty straight forward.

The best material to use for mounting the side panels & belly pan to the frame is from B&Q of all places, as they sell strips of annealed aluminium, just right for the job.

Chris.

Cutter
09-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the tip re the aluminium Chris, I think I actually have some of that so I know the stuff you mean. Good for brackets.
I wasn't very clear in my questions/description. I should have said Bevel style fairing, the classic old shape, therefore no side-panels. The thing is what do you actually mount fairing brackets to - I think it's to the headstock....? Anyone know?

chris.p
10-06-2010, 05:30 AM
You can make a bracket using a section of curved steel or ali so that it covers the front half of the headstock , weld the mounting lugs to it and then jubilee clip it to the headstock.
That has been done for DD bikes as well, not sure but I think Chaz on the DSC forum has done them before.

Chris.

Gilps
10-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Chris is right. We used a race type sub frame fixed to the headstock with jubille clips, then the fairing went straight on to the bracket. See if you can find the origianl fairing sub-frame for the fairing then take it from there.

Dave G
10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/pc18.html

You can get one here, how much you'll need to adapt I dont know but its bound to be easier than starting from scratch.

Cutter
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Many thanks Chris Dave and Gilps - that is really helpful. Just what I was hoping for!