PDA

View Full Version : is 750 engine an interferance engine

daz7505
27-05-2010, 09:24 PM
the woodruff key sheared on the verticle cam this evening on way home from work.
had to limp home on 1 cylinder. and before any one has a go at me for limping home instead of stopping, i had no choice, as i was on motorway at time of this happening doing 70ish, so any damage will already be done :(
got home and stripped cam covers off, and found top pully loose. and thats when i realised what had happened.

what i need to know, is the ducati engine an interferance engine or not?
i need to know a deffo yes or no, no maybe's please.

i need to know if i will get away with replacing belts and all pulleys, or will i have to do some head work due to possible bent valves.

my bike is a 98 r plate 750 monster

analogue_rogue
27-05-2010, 09:55 PM
yes its an interference engine.. but as you need all those parts anyway it cant hurt to just fit them and take a chance??

daz7505
27-05-2010, 10:01 PM
yes its an interference engine.. but as you need all those parts anyway it cant hurt to just fit them and take a chance??

the nut holding the top pulley on, i removed it quite easily, the cam shaft did not seem to move, i am thinking that this is a bad thing????? ie the valves are bent and stuck maybe?????

gary tompkins
27-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Might be the cam has seized in the head shearing the key on the pully?

Pop the valve covers off and you'll be able to see the cam & followers

daz7505
27-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Might be the cam has seized in the head shearing the key on the pully?
Pop the valve covers off and you'll be able to see the cam & followers

i took belt covers off, and started bike up, and cam pulley and shaft span. but shaft will not move by hand unlike other cam shaft.

just found a complete head on ebay for a 97 600 monster, will it fit my 98 750 monster?

as far as i am aware the valves are the same size, and i think its only the pistons that differ in size, but thn i maybe wrong. will get haynes manual out to check valve sizes?

this as happened at a really bad time, and cant afford to be sending bike into a shop. in 2 minds as to repair, (lack of spare money), or strip bike down and sell, a lot of custom bits on it including a m900 chromo tank (ducati rrp around 2 grand)

dunlop0_1
28-05-2010, 05:35 AM
I would put money on one or both valves being bent. I had a similar thing happen around 5 years ago. One of the valves had only the smallest bend in it but prevented the cam from turning. Once apart I fixed it with two second hand valves.

600 heads i think have a smaller cylinder diameter/bore than the 750.

Ducmon
28-05-2010, 11:56 AM
here in Germany there are two 750 heads for sale at 125 € each buy now or you can make an offer. They are brand new. the ebay number is 190378319489, you could ask about the valves as he appears to be a ducati dealer.
David

analogue_rogue
28-05-2010, 06:28 PM
whip the head off and pull the falves out.. you can check easily by rolling them on a flat bench to see if they are bent.. (that is if its not obvious) lol

daz7505
28-05-2010, 09:23 PM
head will be coming off this weekend.
but am looking for a complete sechond hand head to bolt straight on

analogue_rogue
29-05-2010, 09:49 AM
to be honest it might be cheaper to just lap the new valves in.. as long as it hasnt cracked the piston head....

daz7505
29-05-2010, 07:08 PM
just stripped the head off, and its not good.
the exhaust valve has snapped and is embedded about half inch into the top of the piston,
the inside of the cylinder head is battered beyond repair, so is the piston.
the cylinder wall is also damaged.

so new piston + new cylinder + new cylinder head = a lot of money that i dont have
and if i did have the spare cash, i would buy a second hand engine for probably similar money.

so have decided to strip my beloved monster :( and sell all the parts.
so any one that wants or needs anything, let me know.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/daz7505/Image076.jpg

analogue_rogue
29-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Mate how much for whole bike as is. Ill pm details

Rockhopper
30-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I would have thought you'd be able to fix that up for a couple of hundred quid.

daz7505
30-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I would have thought you'd be able to fix that up for a couple of hundred quid.

priced it all up, and looking in excess of £700 just for parts, similar price to a second hand engine. i just dont have that sort of money at the moment, mortgage and 3 kids means i generally dont see any of my wage lol.
bike is worth more stripped and sold in bits.
at least then i can get a new bike

Rockhopper
30-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeh but you don't buy new parts, Ebay is your friend plus I'd be sure that someone on the DSC forum has a barrel and piston they don't need (probably a head as well although there are a few on ebay at the moment).