PDA

View Full Version : slave cylinder advice

analogue_rogue
22-05-2010, 06:34 PM
ok so i fitted a secondhand slave cylinder to my 97/98 (friday afternoon half one year half the other year) monster as the first one has leaked air in.. bled the system and its stiff as hell but works.. there is no free paly on the lever and after a few weeks use its started to slip at high revs.. i bled a little fluid out.. no air came out and the slipping stopped....

so far then i can conclude that the piston in the slave cylinder must be a smaller diameter and the clutch springs arent strong enough to push it all the way back.... and/or its not the right one for the bike because the push rod is clearly too long....

question is..... best way round this.... original from dealer replacement ? after market performance part? or second hand one thats meant to fit the bike...

Dookbob
22-05-2010, 08:52 PM
aftermarket

Pedro
22-05-2010, 09:54 PM
check the threaded adjuster in the lever hasn't wound out - it may not be letting the master cylinder return to it's resting position

analogue_rogue
23-05-2010, 06:35 AM
we looked over that bit too.. its looks like it would need winding out lots to allow the free play..... its sitting flush with the lever at the minute and hasnt moved... but i have no idea where it should be set as default

analogue_rogue
29-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Ok update. Got me a secondhand slave cylinder from identical bike fitted andd bled. Clutch is working fine. Looked at old slave cylinder and it looks like its seized . Well enough to stop it returning properly. Thank god!