PDA

View Full Version : What do I want

Albie
19-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I want more people to turn up at organised events. I know there are those that cannot for reasons. I want those that have to think about it, then dont, then wished they had when they hear and see how good it was.

Dont be offended by this. Just try and join in when you can. Being off the road last year for 9 weeks was the worst thing i possible for me at the time.

Read the events pages and go along and you might enjoy yourselfs:D:D

Stuart42
19-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Uksurfer and myself had a similar chat the other day, about the balance of things to do, regular brekkie runs and 'events'.

We basically said we'd punt stuff out as and when it happens and those that can come and those that can't will make it when they can.

Hampshire has come on leaps and bounds since Autumn and we now have hardcore regulars and everytime we've met we've had new faces turn up.

Hopefully now the weather is getting better, touch wood, we'll have a few more and some of those I'm sure will become hardcore hampsters.

As to getting more people interested then as long as the high standards of write ups continues we'll get more people involved.

The new business cards, thanks Rob, have come into good use. I gave one to a chap at MR and Martin carded all at Poole. This is the best time of year to get newcomers interested as people are slowly dusting off their bikes and starting to use them again.

It is testamony to how good the events are when you look at the weekender and Belgium as to how quick people booked.

Here's to a great Summer and meeting loads of new faces.

Cheers
Stuart

LVC
19-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Would love to but still not quite got the S4 up to enough speed to jump the channel - failing that "geet yaw Rses ovra ere" for a Le Mans run - Moto GP this weekend anyone, 24 hours cars 12 &13 June etc or just holidaying .... always happy to meet, drink with and natter to anyone passing through :mand:

Albie
19-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I may take you up on that sometime if not next year. How about you popping down to Belgium in september on the Sunday maybe. How long would it take you to get to nr dendermonde ??

Mr.Number
19-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Id love to get more involved, love my bike and will ride at any opportunity, but time is difficult for alot of people. Im trying to get to oganised events this year, but i think next year is going to be easier for me.

Capo
19-05-2010, 06:03 PM
How about a good presence at the Buell V Twin day at East Kirkby, there's even a low pass by a Spitfire this year. I'm not much of a social animal these days but I really enjoyed the event last year.

Albie
19-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Is that the one PD does with the plane pics with the bikes in front. I cant go to that one but we kenties are going to Duxford on 11th July. All welcome to arrive on masse.

Panther
21-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Albie I think your 100% correct, I've been on the forum a few years now and not made it to organized events, (I deserve to be in the naughty corner).

I do need to make a lot more of an effort. I think it has something to do with me getting carried away with mods (all inspired by the posts on here) that my bike spends more time in bits than on the road.

thanks UKMOC's.

p.s not been on the forum in week Wills posts has sent board me. :toilet:

Albie
21-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Well Im glad I haven't upset anyone so far. It wasn't my intention too. I have no doubt I am guilty myself. I never got to the weekender for the first 2 years and when I did it rained but I had a great time. You know sometimes people shy away because they dont know anyone and miss opportunities to make new friends. Luckily this site is very friendly and hopefully safe. Never heard of any UKMOC's dissapearing.

What I want to know is the general reason when something big happens like Arrow Mill or events up in North like Rivington Barn is how many want to come but dont because of weather, or they are new,Or is it something else. I must admit years ago I was away most weekends down to Hampshire in sun, cold and rain and -0 temps sometimes. Kent was dead then and I had some good friends to see. 500 miles a weekend was normal.

Duxfords soon and is two countys away but a mere 70 miles. Be great to see some more faces turn up.

Please use this thread to be honest with your thoughts. Some areas may have members who want to do stuff but dont know who to talk too.

uksurfer
22-05-2010, 08:59 PM
My thoughts....

Maybe more members posting up on the regions would bring people together, and i think the problem, looking through the regional threads, is that occasionally people post up ideas and suggestions, and then they get no replies, and then they wander off and look elsewhere, i have been there and done it!
Last year i never went to the Mill, i didn't know anyone really so didn't think about going, this year i went, but i knew alot more people and have met before, much easier for me that way. And next year i will go, and i would recommend it to everyone.

Theres people out there with there monsters gleaming, just waiting for a ride out with the club which needs arranging, all we need to do is pair them up, and off they go into the sunset..... Sorted!!

But i would to say to members who live in areas that aren't doing much, do try and start something going, pester the 'Reps', try and meet up with other monster owners in your area!
I used to sit by the computer and look at the Kent region, and think, another thing going on down there yet again, nothing happens in my area .....
This is the thread that kicked it all off - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=34434

Tomorrow i'm going out for brekkie and a spin with maybe 6 other bikes, possibly more, and thats because nothing was happening in Hants, and now there is.
Ride Safe
martin

MrsC_772
22-05-2010, 09:22 PM
One thing that might put some people off, in terms of group rides, is the fear that they'll be left behind - that the group will be going at licence losing speeds, and they won't keep up. Given that the Monster is a popular choice among less confident riders (whether new to bikes, or the shorter of leg like myself) it might be an issue.

I don't know if any of the other regions use the IAM system (constant leader, constant tail ender, 2nd from front stops at each junction to point out the direction to everyone else and then rejoins the group when tailender arrives) but it might be worth trying on group rides.

A good mixture of group rides, and meets (where everyone makes their own way to and from e.g. a cafe at their own pace) might be another answer for regions trying to attract newbies.

I think I was just lucky that the time when I got my Monster last year (September) was about the same time that the Hampsters were getting organised, and with a shiny new toy to show off, I thought what had I got to lose by turning up to a meet.

Albie
23-05-2010, 08:55 AM
One thing that might put some people off, in terms of group rides, is the fear that they'll be left behind - that the group will be going at licence losing speeds, and they won't keep up. Given that the Monster is a popular choice among less confident riders (whether new to bikes, or the shorter of leg like myself) it might be an issue.

I don't know if any of the other regions use the IAM system (constant leader, constant tail ender, 2nd from front stops at each junction to point out the direction to everyone else and then rejoins the group when tailender arrives) but it might be worth trying on group rides.

A good mixture of group rides, and meets (where everyone makes their own way to and from e.g. a cafe at their own pace) might be another answer for regions trying to attract newbies.

I think I was just lucky that the time when I got my Monster last year (September) was about the same time that the Hampsters were getting organised, and with a shiny new toy to show off, I thought what had I got to lose by turning up to a meet.

Your quite right Eleanor. Some members are new to bikes and they need to be broken in gently knowing that no ones going to leave them behind.Im not fast and never have been. I may have a fast bike but its only fast to me in a straight line. I dont always keep up with the groups but I tend to ride at the back in Kent runs as I know the area.What needs to be said is the truth. If your not confident you must say and if someone says No they are not doing their job properly. We did try and get the ride group better organised this year but there were slower riders misplaced. They need to be at the front of the pack not with their friends as such. This may seem weird but it does work.The fast ones go at the back because they are the ones who can easily and not be afraid of gunning it to catch back up.

When you see the pack dissapear behind you you need to back off and then the pack can then re catch you.

buzzbomb
23-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Andy you mentioned Rivi Barn,well the ducati truck is at the barn on monday 31st (bank holiday) and on saturday 29th its at the Ponderossa cafe on the Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen, so be there or be square...:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

animaluk
23-05-2010, 09:28 AM
My thoughts on this are:

You all appear to be in little clicks already there is at least three very disgusible one on the forum that would put people off (not me i may add but just some people)

organized ride out are always ball breakingly early in the morning meeting a 7/8 in the morning is not acceptible especilly if you have to ride hour and a half to the meet point (are you lot all milkmen of somthing) !!! I for one dont like getting up early at the weekends

The riding part dont worry me and IAM so would be of some use i think and like albie im not a mad charger about been there done that paid for it, But i can understand that it would worry some people riding in a group it takes a while to build up trust and confidence this may also stop people wanting to meet up

desmo
23-05-2010, 10:11 AM
My thoughts on this are:

You all appear to be in little clicks already there is at least three very disgusible one on the forum that would put people off (not me i may add but just some people)

organized ride out are always ball breakingly early in the morning meeting a 7/8 in the morning is not acceptible especilly if you have to ride hour and a half to the meet point (are you lot all milkmen of somthing) !!! I for one dont like getting up early at the weekends

The riding part dont worry me and IAM so would be of some use i think and like albie im not a mad charger about been there done that paid for it, But i can understand that it would worry some people riding in a group it takes a while to build up trust and confidence this may also stop people wanting to meet up

Don't think the clicks are intentional, it's just a question of distance between various concentrated groups of Monster owners, maybe once in a while we should all try to meet up in a central area?

I to am wary of getting involved with group riding, as I like to ride at my own pace & stop when I want, also I think large groups of riders tend to attract unwanted attention, that said I am happy to meet up with other members or to do a short ride in to an event.

animaluk
23-05-2010, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=desmo;350763]Don't think the clicks are intentional, it's just a question of distance between various concentrated groups of Monster owners, maybe once in a while we should all try to meet up in a central area?

I know Desmo I was just trying to look at it as newer people to the forum might veiw it :)

Capo
23-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I prefer riding out to a meet, I don't like group rides, the HD brigade do these a lot ending with attention getting 'the ride into town' that makes me cringe a bit. I have my monster to ride fast and am almost allways alone when I do.

He11cat
23-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I have to say I am not a confident rider and do worry about holding people up or doing something daft.
I did when I met with some people I stalled... I had new clutch slave and I had the biting point to close it was totally my fault and boy did I feel a total div.
I felt so silly.

Also I worry who I ride with.. Ive ridden with a couple of groups who have been great.(Not Monster folk)
Then once a group who I thought sorry guys your a bunch of C**ks and see ya bye go on without me please.(Also not monster folk).

Also early starts.... I am hopeless first thing.. I am nocturnal see.
So weekends are the holy grail of lay ins. I honestly don't function early in the day thats the truth.

A central meet would be good once in a while ... or at a certain cafe Albie :) I am sure people could meet and travel down together on route if they wanted.

Like wise if someone is holidaying or plans being in another area .. may be good to say. Hi I am in Surrey next Saturday does anyone fancy a cuppa.
May get zero replies but hey you tried!

I have had random cups of tea and met people and its been lovely , I really enjoy doing that.
What was really nice was someone local to me said hello when I joined and came to show me their bike and have a brew. It was really nice and I really enjoy going for a ride with them now or having a chat and am very glad they made the effort.. although I prob drive him mental.. I am grateful they made the effort to say Hi.

I have met some really great people like that and some I now class as good friends of mine.
One who I couldn't really imagine being not about even though is a flaming nuisance was a cup of tea person so to speak.
Ok not everyone you meet your going to get on with but thats life.

We are all different in our ways and riding and abilities but I challenge anyone to say no to a brew and some cake of some kind or chips at the seaside even!

The other thing is you don't want to tread on peoples toes or your local reps toes..
I for one would worry about that.
I would gladly say ok who's up for chips at Felixstowe saturday.. as long as it wasn't seen as me being pushy or funny.

Albie
23-05-2010, 09:11 PM
My thoughts on this are:

I never get up early as Caroline wont. I always feel 10 onwards on a sunday is early enough unless Im having to travel far. I feel that the thread is while still on a good course that my original intention was to ask why some dont turn up at big events and if so how can we can a better attendance. I even feel that maybe I shouldn't ask the question in case it annoys those above. I for one would never have a problem if someone rides up alone and goes home alone because thats what they do. Sometimes I feel like splitting from the group because either I cant keep up or Im bored myself.

The real point of this was NOT to upset anyone who doesn't do meets but talking today to some relative newbies of a year that told me they were new to bikes and were afraid of either screwing everyone else up or that they did not have any experiance.

We bumped into a guy today that obviously doesnt do meets but rides his bike where and when he pleases. I doubt he will be joining in the jaunts of Kent but thats his choice.

Don't think the clicks are intentional, it's just a question of distance between various concentrated groups of Monster owners, maybe once in a while we should all try to meet up in a central area?

I to am wary of getting involved with group riding, as I like to ride at my own pace & stop when I want, also I think large groups of riders tend to attract unwanted attention, that said I am happy to meet up with other members or to do a short ride in to an event.

I agree with you and I know you went to Arrow Mill and you did what you wanted to do. I have never seen anyone with a gun to their head making anyone ride out with the UKMOC. I have only seen a massed ride go t1ts up because it was too big and too fast and I slowed down and went at my pace and was followed by others caught up in the melee who had no idea where they were.
We have tried to have better organised rideouts this year and were very successful.

My ideal day is about having somewhere to go and knowing that I will be meeting some similar minded mates and having a laugh and a nose at what they have done and what we might go and do together. I was so scared going to Belgium but I love going there now.

Capo
23-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I would have been at the weekender but the bike wasn't finished.
I'm thinking about belgium but I won't ride it there.

uksurfer
23-05-2010, 09:34 PM
how about when rides or meets are organised, there can be a time for people wishing to meet up to ride in to the event, or breakfast or whatever, and then an expected time that the group will arrive to the event?

Then whoever doesn't feel confident riding in a group, or would rather ride at there own pace be it fast or slow, can meet up with the others at the destination point?

But would more people turn up?:scratch:

Albie
23-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I would have been at the weekender but the bike wasn't finished.
I'm thinking about belgium but I won't ride it there.

Please come to Belgium. If you bring a van thats great. They would appreciate your bike for sure.

The belgians bring a van to Arrow not only incase of a breakdown but also for gear and pregnant wives . We always try and put up people in Kent on a friday if travelling down. Its what we do .

The hotel is 15 mins from the event so you ride to the event.

Capo
23-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Geoff is going in his van but he's taking his missus, so I'll have to rent one. I'm no good at backing up the trailer and wouldnt want to get ferked up on the chunnel. I could cart gear and do the breakdown thing. Will have to buy europe maps for me tom tom tho.

The more I think of it the more I like it, When is it exactly Albie

desmo
24-05-2010, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=Albie;350840] my original intention was to ask why some dont turn up at big events and if so how can we can a better attendance. I even feel that maybe I shouldn't ask the question in case it annoys those above.

The real point of this was NOT to upset anyone who doesn't do meets

My ideal day is about having somewhere to go and knowing that I will be meeting some similar minded mates and having a laugh and a nose at what they have done QUOTE]

I think most people like & appriciate the club as it is (i know i do)
You are right to ask the question about attendance of events, unfortunately there is no one answer to this as everyone has their own reasons for attending or non attending events.
We have pockets of members spread fairly thinly all over the uk, for a large attendance of members to an event means a very long ride for some people, also maybe cost is a factor, with the price of fuel now, a day out one the bike is no longer a cheap day out (especially if you have to fuel 2x bikes)
Nothing much happens in my area, if I want to meet other members then it means a longish ride for me, whilst on a nice day I don't mind that, but sometimes I don't have the time available to go out all day.
I think all we can do is keep plugging away arranging interesting days out / meets in different areas & encouraging members to attend, once the ice is broken & people get to know one another then I think attendance will increase.

Regarding not upsetting anyone, I wouldn't worry about that, there is nothing in your original post that could possibly offend anyone & it's obvious that you only have the best interest of the club / members at heart.

Your ideal day out is exactly the same as mine, lets hope the summer is a good one this year & we can arrange lots of different events & get as many people out to them as possible.

One event I personally want to do this year is the Buell festival at Spilsby, it sounds like something I would really enjoy, I have found some nice looking accomodation nearby, obviously an event like this is fairly weather reliant (especially if it means a round trip of about 550 miles) so I am going to leave it a while before I book any accomodation.
Maybe it would be nice to get a big group together to attend this event?

Desmo

Albie
24-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Geoff is going in his van but he's taking his missus, so I'll have to rent one. I'm no good at backing up the trailer and wouldnt want to get ferked up on the chunnel. I could cart gear and do the breakdown thing. Will have to buy europe maps for me tom tom tho.

The more I think of it the more I like it, When is it exactly Albie

Its the weekend of 18/19 september. Some will stay until monday for relaxed ride home on the 20th. Event day is the sunday the 19th

littlejimmy12
24-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Is that the one PD does with the plane pics with the bikes in front. I cant go to that one but we kenties are going to Duxford on 11th July. All welcome to arrive on masse.

I'd be up for that one, I'm originally from that area.

Kemp1
24-06-2010, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=Albie;350840] my original intention was to ask why some dont turn up at big events and if so how can we can a better attendance. I even feel that maybe I shouldn't ask the question in case it annoys those above.

The real point of this was NOT to upset anyone who doesn't do meets

Nothing much happens in my area, if I want to meet other members then it means a longish ride for me, whilst on a nice day I don't mind that, but sometimes I don't have the time available to go out all day.
I think all we can do is keep plugging away arranging interesting days out / meets in different areas & encouraging members to attend, once the ice is broken & people get to know one another then I think attendance will increase.

Desmo

Hi guys,

Apologies, I'm a little late coming to this thread but as a newbie that hasn't met anyone yet, I thought I'd add a line if that's ok? It does echo a lot of comments made but...

I would really like to join some rideouts or just meet up with some guys from the site but have to be honest, it is a little daunting meeting up with a group who all know each other -it would be good to meet one or two local people first but there dont seem to be many apart from you Desmo (but do give me a shout if you fancy meeting up). I have also ridden with quite a few individual guys (not from this site) but no groups so as others have said, it does concern me that I would hold people up or do something daft.

Being brutally honest, it's also because I'm pretty shy in groups -I ride a lot and love it but do a lot of riding alone and tend not to go to many biker places unless I'm out with someone. I don't think it's particularly because I'm a lass but I'm ashamed to say it may have a bearing..:o

Anyway, I shall try and 'man-up' and look forward to hopefully meeting some of you soon! :mand:

gary tompkins
25-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Kemp,

I have to say UKMOC is one of the most female friendly clubs I've ever seen

The Monster is a very popular bike for lady bikers, and this is obvious especially in Europe as so many seem to be ridden by women. It's not easy to break the ice at any meet but it's worth making the effort with this club. The rewards and friendship you'll receive in return are well worth it.

You'll only ever get out of a club what you are prepared to put into it - Italy trip proved that in spades

Armchair UKMOC'ers take note ;)

J.P
25-06-2010, 09:23 AM
I can echo Gary's comments.
I too was a shy and retiring type a few years back, as I'd never ridden a bike before and was sure that a) anyone that owned one had been riding all their life & had a beard, b) that an online club was full of nutters. But you can relax, this isn't facebook. The people I've met and spoken too have been extremely helpful and welcoming and its unlocked a whole new world. Sure the initial meeting up can be a bit nervous but you'll find it gets easier and the more effort you make to meet people the more you get to know them, simple.

Since joining the club three years ago I've travelled extensively in Belgium, Germany, France and Italy and seen more of the UK than I had in 37 years. I've done about 20 trackdays and owned three bikes. And I also get bragging rights, like a lot of club members, that because of being in the UKMOC, I now have a Guiness World Record !

As for liking to ride your own way, that's fine too, fast , slow, no one really cares. Start at A and get to B, doesn't matter how you do it.

Enjoy the summer and we hope to see you at some point in the future.

BluprintZ
25-06-2010, 09:38 AM
There's very little, if any rideouts in my area.
The best we have is a ride up the mountains to Betwys y coed on a Sunday, it's usually fairly packed out with bikes of all makes.
The other one is the Poderosa cafe but i haven't been there for yonks, must try and get there soon.

The only real decent ones in the North West are Rivington Barn and Devils Bridge, with upwards of 400 bikes every Sunday, so i try and get up there a couple of times a year.
I have mates up there and my son lives in Rotherham, so it's a good excuse to have a ride up.

I sold the Monnie last year for health reasons but i would still have liked to have done Arrow mill but i had already been asked to help out with the TT, so finances decreed that the Mill would have to manage without my prescence this year.
In any case, i would have had to park the Triumph in the naughty corner and that might have pi$$ed some members off, due to the crowd of admirers it would have attracted.

Seriously though, as a new member in 2008, i had only met CK & AK in person at the Anglesey Thundersport round that year, so it was good to know at least a couple of members when i did go to the Mill (and won the award)!
By the time the weekender finished, i felt i had made quite a few other friends, including Albie, Jim, Rob(s) (both of them), plus Dave and Mand cake.

So, for those who haven't yet had a run out with any of this lot, try and get to a rideout whenever you can, if nothing else it should be most entertaining.

G ; ) :biggrin:.

slob
25-06-2010, 10:43 AM
...been riding all their life & had a beard...

What are you trying to say J.P?

Kemp1
25-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Guys -you do all seem like a lovely bunch so will pull my finger out and come to something soon :)

J.P
25-06-2010, 12:42 PM
What are you trying to say J.P?

I don't know Rob, .......

slob
25-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I was running late and didn't have time to shave...

slob
25-06-2010, 12:47 PM
...for 25 years.

gary tompkins
25-06-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.theepiclist.com/images/2009/09/captain_caveman/captain-caveman.jpg

Quote:

Captain Caveman's powers include super-strength, a variety of useful objects hidden inside his fur, and a club that allows him to fly and pop out different tools he uses to fight crime. Caveman's fur served as a storage space for an incredible number of things, including living dinosaurs far larger than he was - by reaching into his chest hair he could produce almost anything!

desmo
25-06-2010, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=desmo;350899]

Hi guys,

Apologies, I'm a little late coming to this thread but as a newbie that hasn't met anyone yet, I thought I'd add a line if that's ok? It does echo a lot of comments made but...

I would really like to join some rideouts or just meet up with some guys from the site but have to be honest, it is a little daunting meeting up with a group who all know each other -it would be good to meet one or two local people first but there dont seem to be many apart from you Desmo (but do give me a shout if you fancy meeting up). I have also ridden with quite a few individual guys (not from this site) but no groups so as others have said, it does concern me that I would hold people up or do something daft.

Being brutally honest, it's also because I'm pretty shy in groups -I ride a lot and love it but do a lot of riding alone and tend not to go to many biker places unless I'm out with someone. I don't think it's particularly because I'm a lass but I'm ashamed to say it may have a bearing..:o

Anyway, I shall try and 'man-up' and look forward to hopefully meeting some of you soon! :mand:

I was going to go to Mallory Park on Sun to watch the BSB, but because they are forcasting 30 C temp (way too hot) I am going out early for a ride (7am) get back late morning & then settle down to watch England v Germany at 3pm.

You are very welcome to join me for a ride on Sun morning, also if you want to meet some fellow club members, then come along to the meeting at the Skins Cafe nr Brackley on July 10th, it's not a bad route from Bristol & you will meet some great people.

PM me if you want to do a local ride out, we have some great roads & it's always nice to have a little company.

Mand
25-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Albie, i know what you mean and what you are trying to say.

However, what we need is more of what is known as a "JULIE" - I got a pm back in 2003 asking if I wanted to meet up for chips and drink at a local bikey pub. I ummed and erred, but I'm glad I went as you know the rest is history, met ace mates, found my husband (yeah he had a monster way back then!), did a few track days, did the weekender a few times and I'd love to meet up again but things change for the older members of the forum. :)

You all need a "Julie" each in your regions, she was quite possibly the best regional rep there ever was!!!!

Yorkie
25-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Id love to be somewhere where there is tarmac, never mind other Monsters!

Get out you lot, enjoy the good weather whilst you can.

Ill see the Northern lot in October!!!

Yorkie