PDA

View Full Version : HELP stubborn uppper triple!

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Anyone got any suggestions to getting the bloody thing back on, I've painted it black, it came off fairly easy but its not going on so easily.

I've greased the forks and am giving it a wack with a rubber mallet with a towel on the clamp. Its about half way there but it won't budge much more!!!

apply a little heat?
open up the clamps?

obvoulsly I don't want to ruin my nice new paint job

any suggestions!

Tench1970
17-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I had to tap a screwdriver into the clamp gap to open them a bit (chipped the paint but couldnt find another way), be careful though dont splay them too much, wear gogles too the screw driver can ping outwhen your tapping the forks in!!

put the screwdriver or whatever you use as a wedge in from unerneath that way the paint touch up is hidden.

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 03:04 PM
good idea, I;ll let u know the outcome

mintyhit
17-05-2010, 03:15 PM
How did you paint it out of interest? I want to do my lower and upper in black and was considering getting them coated…. but I have a nice cheap rattle-can of Hammerite tempting me on the side here.

Good luck getting it back on!

James

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 03:22 PM
How did you paint it out of interest? I want to do my lower and upper in black and was considering getting them coated…. but I have a nice cheap rattle-can of Hammerite tempting me on the side here.

Good luck getting it back on!

James

Hammerite is too thick, I got a very very good finish by cleaning with white spirit, 2 coats of etch primer and then about 4 coats of Plasti-Kote 'METAL PROTEKT'. Left it over night to dry.

Its a bitch to get back on though, I'm giving it everything I've got with the mallet and it won't go on properly - looks nice though. Finish is not matt and not gloss, somewhere inbetween! although the way I'm going I'll have to do it again!!!

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 03:41 PM
aaaaahhhhhhhhh still won't budge!

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 04:03 PM
here's a pic of the finish, its a kind of graphite black

mintyhit
17-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Do you think is could be the few microns of paint on the inside where the surfaces in contact with the folks, could you perhaps polish it off with a dermal?

It’s hard to believe the tolerances are really that tight though.

Lovely finish by the way! Is that an S4 yolk... looks exactly the same as mine?

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Do you think is could be the few microns of paint on the inside where the surfaces in contact with the folks, could you perhaps polish it off with a dermal?

It’s hard to believe the tolerances are really that tight though.

Lovely finish by the way! Is that an S4 yolk... looks exactly the same as mine?

Your right, I took it off, cleaned it and gave it another coat to get rid of the damage from attempt number one. Gonna polish off tommorrow, re-grease and try again.

Yes its an s4, the finish is 'batman black' I really like it. I was going to get my engine casings and various other bits powder coated but with that kind of finish I don't think I'll bother.

Nickj
17-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Post up how the casings go as I'm looking to do something to mine later in the year, that looks like a nice colour and finish.. Could be happy with that :)

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 07:54 PM
After much mucking about here's the finished article, well worth the effort

Albie
17-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Looks great . Well done for persevering

rac3r
17-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Looks great. I might change mine because of the riser bits. I just want to ride the damn thing first!

littlejimmy12
17-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Looks great. I might change mine because of the riser bits. I just want to ride the damn thing first!

u could grind them off BUT remember if u ever sell and want to return to stock your stuck, speedymoto do a gorgeous upper but its not cheap

rac3r
17-05-2010, 09:43 PM
u could grind them off BUT remember if u ever sell and want to return to stock your stuck, speedymoto do a gorgeous upper but its not cheap

Nah I don't want to mess about doing that kind of stuff I'll either change it for another or keep it as it is and just buy a nice clamp thing to cover the holes.