PDA

View Full Version : 600 cltch slipping

Albie
15-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Well as Im new to owning a 600 Im having a weird time with the clutch. I went out today for a blat at regular speeds on the 600ss and got 15 miles and clutch starting to slip. Made it to destination and then reset off with a almost complete slip. Managed to crawl 1/2 mile to hein gerickes and the guys lent me a flat screwdriver so I backed off the screw at the bar. It seems ok agin for now.
When I got the bike it was being sorted for the clutch and has a new one in and a service. It also happened a few weeks ago on the way to see Shuffy. We backed it off then two turns and was fine. Why is this self adjusting. I much prefer a open clutch to at least see whats going on.

Any advice taken .

Got home ok and alls well.

CK & AK
15-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Possibly when it got hot the fluid expanded & started disengaging the clutch so when you backed it off, it gave it free play again.
Could well have been over adjusted on the push rod Albie

Albie
15-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks.
Yes its a weird one. It was fine when I left. I wonder why the thread the hose right close to the engine. Surely it would be better a bit further away.Its the original rubber hose so Im considering changing it for braided hose. Just need to know the reason why so I can sort it. It seems to have a history with this as Steve Randall had the bike in his hands for this problem when I saw it. It pulls well now so it seems to be something stupid.

Great fun to ride though and very comfy. :D

Gilps
15-05-2010, 05:17 PM
It could be a pressure build up in the cable. Does your lever have the screw in type adjuster which varies the depth of the pin? If so it may be that the screw in the lever is not actually coming unwound? There is a known problem/issue/feature with the screws in the levers on the Brembo master cylinders. When the pin pushes in to the master clyinder it closes a return hole and allows pressure to build up. When the lever is released the pin moves out and hole opens up allowing the fluid to return. If the pin is screwed in too tight then when the lever is released the pin does not exit the cylinder sufficiently to allow fluid to return thus maintaining the pressure.
This is why the factory glue up the screws to stop people playing with them. If the clutch was adjusted incorrectly then no major problem, but on the brake lever it could lead to the brakes locking on.

Albie
15-05-2010, 05:24 PM
It could be a pressure build up in the cable. Does your lever have the screw in type adjuster which varies the depth of the pin? If so it may be that the screw in the lever is not actually coming unwound? There is a known problem/issue/feature with the screws in the levers on the Brembo master cylinders. When the pin pushes in to the master clyinder it closes a return hole and allows pressure to build up. When the lever is released the pin moves out and hole opens up allowing the fluid to return. If the pin is screwed in too tight then when the lever is released the pin does not exit the cylinder sufficiently to allow fluid to return thus maintaining the pressure.
This is why the factory glue up the screws to stop people playing with them. If the clutch was adjusted incorrectly then no major problem, but on the brake lever it could lead to the brakes locking on.

Yes it does. Thats the strange thing. Ducati trained Steve thought he had sorted it. He changed the plates too. I will keep a look out for that . I will also be on the lookout for some 916 style reservoirs too. Much nicer too. The brakes work fine and no problem there.

If I just need a new reservoir and cylinder I may get one.

Thanks for info

analogue_rogue
16-05-2010, 06:52 AM
i have the same 600 and i i had exactly the same problem... i had to wind the screw out and then back in until the lever play was where it needed to be and the clutch slip was gone (it was a fine balance) but several times i wound it in and it seemed fine then 10 min later it was slipping... i found winding it out flush and then back in about 1 3/4 turns was just right... i also upgraded to a braided hose because the clutch was a bit spongey and it has a distinct bite point now. althoughh if anyone can tell me how to soften up the lever i would be grateful cos its giving my left hand a work out!!!!

adam15
17-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I had a similar problem with the clutch slipping on mine a few years ago and after some investigation it turned out to be that the master cylinder was failing so on the early 600s with the wet clutch that seems to be the weak point.

analogue_rogue
29-05-2010, 11:57 AM
bump!! now im having the same problems!!!!! argh!!!