PDA

View Full Version : Addventure Bikes

Will
12-05-2010, 12:52 PM
The Tenere from Yamaha looks good, Moto Guzzi make the Stelvio and now Aprillia is jumping on the bandwagon of the fastest growing, recession proof sector of the bike market - led by the BMW GS.

Isn't it about time Ducati came up with something ;-)

uksurfer
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Haven't you got somewhere you would rather be?

http://www.bmw-club.org.uk/

enjoy it

desmo
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Funkatronic
12-05-2010, 05:06 PM
err have you seen the new multistroodle???

Pomp1
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
FFS Will, have you run out of pencils to sharpen again?

animaluk
12-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Everyone hates you, You must know from school

He11cat
12-05-2010, 10:10 PM
oh not him again.... numptydumpty... must dash sorry can't stay and chat got paint to watch dry :)

Will
13-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Haven't you got somewhere you would rather be?

http://www.bmw-club.org.uk/

enjoy it

Errrr no - that place is occupied mostly by the living dead :D

Will
13-05-2010, 10:39 AM
FFS Will, have you run out of pencils to sharpen again?

Had a boring 10 mins at work so had to think of something to do - and one always gets a response on this site :D

Will
13-05-2010, 10:40 AM
err have you seen the new multistroodle???

Errrr yes I have.

Stafford
13-05-2010, 10:57 AM
............. recession proof sector of the bike market
No quite so (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/adventure-sports-sales-dip-in-april-uk-registration-figures/11414.html)

He11cat
13-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Oi u with the shiny bike .... take that avitar down... its distracting me at work.

Mr William .. engineer aye?
Does this involve structual engineering work on bridges and such like?
If so please go back under your bridge :)

Sorry my paint dried .. but now teabreak is nearly over and I have spongebob squarepants pictures to go and look at.

Will
13-05-2010, 11:10 AM
No quite so (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/adventure-sports-sales-dip-in-april-uk-registration-figures/11414.html)

Errrrrr look again - they left the Adventure model out of the figures!

Will
13-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Oi u with the shiny bike .... take that avitar down... its distracting me at work.

Mr William .. engineer aye?
Does this involve structual engineering work on bridges and such like?
If so please go back under your bridge :)

Sorry my paint dried .. but now teabreak is nearly over and I have spongebob squarepants pictures to go and look at.

No Electronics.

You should use slow drying paint - will give you hours more fun :-)

giler
13-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Trouble is they are too slow/big/don't handle on road and pretty useless off road!
If I was to get one it would be KTM 990 - not that I will!

Will
13-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Trouble is they are too slow/big/don't handle on road and pretty useless off road!
If I was to get one it would be KTM 990 - not that I will!

You would hate the KTM 990 - the fueling is diabolical on a steady throttle.

The GS is hardly slow compared to an air-cooled Monster or the KTM for that matter (has more HP than either) and the standard GS is 200kg.

As far as handling goes read the latest review in SuperBike magazine or watch the MCN launch video.

As for being useless off road - try the Multistrada with its 180 rear and 17inch front - like durrrrrr how stupid is that!!!! - yes the KTM is probably better off-road than the GS mainly because of its narrow 21" front wheel, but that compromises it on road.

hhmunro
13-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Now I must defend Will here, though I feel this may not be a popular move...

I have been riding bikes for around thirty years and have always thought BMW’s to be the most dull ‘bike every created, I even owned an R80/7, (Eighty quid, and that included the trailer it was on, man I miss that trailer...)

But I was on a ferry to Mallorca and watched some sawn-off little Spanish guy drop one of those ridiculously tall and heavy ‘off-road’ things,( the one with the very tuff-looking aluminium ammo-box panniers, like I made in year three metalwork) while trying to turn it around on the car deck.

Then I spent a most entertaining couple of minutes watching him thrash around on his back, banging on the ground with his little fists, trapped under it like a flipped beetle, absolutely helpless and trying to get out.

When I got bored I lifted it enough for him to get out, then I spent a little while longer watching him trying to lift it back up to sit on it, and when I got tired of that, too, I lifted it for him, then I had to hold it for him while he clambered back up it...

I suppose he was so red in the face because of exertion...

So I review my opinion, BMW’s can be very entertaining indeed...

Now the vehicles they used in ‘Long way down’, now they were exactly the right thing for the job, and that is exactly why I drive a Nissan Patrol...

CK & AK
13-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Will, this (as I've said before) is the UKMOC - the UK MONSTER owners club....

If you want to carry on your endless diatribes about Ducati OTHER models, can I once again respectfully suggest that you select the right forum to carry on being creative in your displays of research about equivalent models of other brands on the market?

Find a forum where folks actually use the model you continue to be destructively annihilating? Or a forum where people use the same type of motorcycle as you already do?

Here just isnt the place fella, as you will no doubt be aware by the yawn/paint drying/ type of posts above..........

Cheers

CK :)

edited to add: You really just seem to be Trolling - look it up fella & then take a look at yourself....... the comparison is negligable

Will
13-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Will, this (as I've said before) is the UKMOC - the UK MONSTER owners club....

If you want to carry on your endless diatribes about Ducati OTHER models, can I once again respectfully suggest that you select the right forum to carry on being creative in your displays of research about equivalent models of other brands on the market?

Find a forum where folks actually use the model you continue to be destructively annihilating? Or a forum where people use the same type of motorcycle as you already do?

Here just isnt the place fella, as you will no doubt be aware by the yawn/paint drying/ type of posts above..........

Cheers

CK :)

edited to add: You really just seem to be Trolling - look it up fella & then take a look at yourself....... the comparison is negligable

I understand what you are saying - but isn't this a random chat forum? or does it have to be limited to conversations about Monsters? are other subjects not permitted?

Also there would be no thread if people really were not interested, but they obviously are.

Are you gently attempting to censor what is said?

I am not Trolling - just adding to the humour, or is that not permitted either?

Please explain what harm is being done?

Will
13-05-2010, 04:25 PM
By the way the UKGSer positively encourages 'lively discussions' about other makes and types of bikes, e.g Yamaha, KTM, even Ducatis etc, they even have dedicated sections for other bikes - what is the problem with this site? why the attempt to limit what is said?

It really does not make sense to attempt to restrict discussions.

Perhaps this site is supported by Ducati???? Dunno maybe they have some control over it???

Julie
13-05-2010, 04:30 PM
By the way the UKGSer positively encourages 'lively discussions' about other makes and types of bikes, e.g Yamaha, KTM, even Ducatis etc, they even have dedicated sections for other bikes - what is the problem with this site? why the attempt to limit what is said?

It really does not make sense to attempt to restrict discussions.

Perhaps this site is supported by Ducati???? Dunno maybe they have some control over it???

Will

why don't you set up your own forum then you can run it just the way you want. While you're a guest / club member of the UKMOC then you have to go with the general flow.

I have a few other bikes - I go to forums that are about those other bikes.

If you want adventure go to Horizons forum and to the meet in ripley next month !

This forum is about respecting the Ducati Monster. Simples

Regards

Julie

jerry
13-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Who wants to spend £12-15k on an ugly nike that needs a step ladder to get on .......total tosh only about 100 people in the world really need such machines the rest are fashion victims with small privates .

desmo
13-05-2010, 06:38 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Touring--travel/2010/April/apr1510-half-would-choose-multistrada-over-gs/

Here you go, have a look.

uksurfer
13-05-2010, 06:43 PM
love it, the funniest thing i've read for ages, just about right for the humour/jokes section.

Nice one :)

Nickj
13-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Errrr no - that place is occupied mostly by the living dead :D

I thought they had all gone to the Harley Owners Groups as the pace was more moribund.

Blah blah
13-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Yey Wilf's back and he's talking about how wonderful BMWs are, and how everything else is pants :rolleyes:

Still... that's 2 on my 'Wilf the Troll' bingo card, so I just need him to mention that Ducati are going out of business in the next 3 posts and I've got the full house :woot:

Capo
13-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Who wants to spend £12-15k on an ugly nike that needs a step ladder to get on .......total tosh only about 100 people in the world really need such machines the rest are fashion victims with small privates .

:chuckle:

I've me this gentleman and he is exactly as he sounds on here. Don't about the size of his privates tho.

Nickj
13-05-2010, 07:10 PM
If I was playing adventure I'd rather go Mondo style, at least I could shift the bike when it get stuck in something.
I think Wills post usually seem to end up as general melees, something about BMs seems to do that here, its all part of the fun, we shouldn't be knocking him for owning a GS AND admitting it ;)

He11cat
13-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Julie .. I see something interesting!!!....... sorry its not a BMW GS... this is just the same debate as the last pretty pointless thread..but in another guise.

Actually Will I have "other" bikes and belong to other forums... this forum is very very unmodded... some break wind whilst typing and its a life ban!
If it was censored and modded to the hilt then you'd have not got on a second time with the same blurb.
I have to say this forum is very very free and easy going and pretty polite and a nice place to be.

I use the relevant sites to chat about my other bikes with like minded owners .. I have seen all hell break loose on some sites and virtual pastings.
But here no... and I am sure thats how people here want it to stay.

I somehow do not think The BMW GS site would be none to happy if we all went on there as guests and said "Hello people btw your bikes are all fugly and not fit for purpose or worse would you like to discuss it ??"
Or post a thread with a title that clearly is there to wind people up.
I think it would be removed pretty quickly or locked..and I guess the replies would not be as lighthearted as ours which to be honest take the p back.

But it gets to the point where it becomes a bit drull..
My dear it is nothing short of trolling...

Have a squirt and be gone... we have better things to talk about..

I for one am done with this thread ..its run its course I feel.
Been there done that got the Tshirt... over and out :)

SazzaG
13-05-2010, 07:31 PM
OK, who moved this thread then? :scratch::mand::mand:

Nickj
13-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I remember a hare and hounds enduro quite a while ago that was being held on a venue that always featured short sharp nadgery courses.
Someone fetched up with an early adventurey thing, it was largely a BMW with an almost Monsteresque triangulated tube frame. LOL He had more than enough fuel on board to keep my 200 KDX (ex Kawasaki UK factory bike that ate the newer water cooled 200's alive) running for a weekend. The BM looked the biz for a desert racer and we were on sand, but UK sand is way different to the stuff in Tunisia or the Sahara, it's wet sticky mush.
How did he do?? He suffered.. boy did he suffer, everytime I went past him he was either stuck or sprawling on the deck. Too much power, far too much weight. However it was great for all the noobs on TS's or the old DT's to have something that they could sail past.

Will
13-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Julie .. I see something interesting!!!....... sorry its not a BMW GS... this is just the same debate as the last pretty pointless thread..but in another guise.

Actually Will I have "other" bikes and belong to other forums... this forum is very very unmodded... some break wind whilst typing and its a life ban!
If it was censored and modded to the hilt then you'd have not got on a second time with the same blurb.
I have to say this forum is very very free and easy going and pretty polite and a nice place to be.

I use the relevant sites to chat about my other bikes with like minded owners .. I have seen all hell break loose on some sites and virtual pastings.
But here no... and I am sure thats how people here want it to stay.

I somehow do not think The BMW GS site would be none to happy if we all went on there as guests and said "Hello people btw your bikes are all fugly and not fit for purpose or worse would you like to discuss it ??"
Or post a thread with a title that clearly is there to wind people up.
I think it would be removed pretty quickly or locked..and I guess the replies would not be as lighthearted as ours which to be honest take the p back.

But it gets to the point where it becomes a bit drull..
My dear it is nothing short of trolling...

Have a squirt and be gone... we have better things to talk about..

I for one am done with this thread ..its run its course I feel.
Been there done that got the Tshirt... over and out :)

The GS site is very open and robust - there are often people popping up and saying the the GS is rubbish - a few people occassionaly get upset but personally it is water of a ducks back, but it keeps the whole thing alive and fun. Far better to get a lively discussion going than to let the site deteriote in self congratulatory 'group think'. There is a 'clique' of the old guard that hate change but generally it is a great place to be and all the better for the silliness that happens from time to time.

I hardly ever post on this site - only ever started a few threads in about 8 years! I am hardly a trouble maker. I remember this site from around 6 years ago when I had my 620ie - there was all sorts of madness going on, but it seems to me to have been a far more lively and entertaining place - there was one bloke (can't remember his name) who got banned because he hijacked almost every single thread in every section and started to make it impossible to have any meaningful discussions - he got banned and rightly so, now that did cause real controversy! This is nothing by comparision!

Julie
14-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Yes i think you are talking about Alex yerbs - richard S and that gang - yes they got banned and normal order was restored. Just stop being a tit Will.
Like I say if you don't like the way the forum is run - then move on.

slob
14-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Your logic implies that, for instance, theft should be okay since murder (which may be rightly punished) is worse.
My recollection (wrong or not) is you only start threads that are deliberately designed to wind people up,
If this was a pub you'd have been barred after the second fight.
By 'group think' you're clearly referring to enthusiasts for a single marque sharing technical advice and organising ride-outs.

Will
14-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Yes i think you are talking about Alex yerbs - richard S and that gang - yes they got banned and normal order was restored. Just stop being a tit Will.
Like I say if you don't like the way the forum is run - then move on.

That's the bloke - he was a real tit. :-)

All I am saying is that it is better to be open than to become insular and try to restrict comment, either directly or by applying more subtle techniques - it shows a certain degree of insecurity - and don't over simplify, I didn't actually say that I didn't like the way the forum was run. I was just making suggestions to liven this place up and controversy is a good way of doing it :-) - you have to admit, this place ain't what it used to be, which is a great pity.

Will
14-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Your logic implies that, for instance, theft should be okay since murder (which may be rightly punished) is worse.
My recollection (wrong or not) is you only start threads that are deliberately designed to wind people up,
If this was a pub you'd have been barred after the second fight.
By 'group think' you're clearly referring to enthusiasts for a single marque sharing technical advice and organising ride-outs.

Why should it wind you up?

The downside of 'Group think' is when people reinforce each others prejudices to the point where they lose true objectivity - they fight to defend the group regardless of whether it is right - bit like religious nutters :)

retskcid
14-05-2010, 09:15 AM
So long as you're not Monster bashing the thread seems ok to me! I use a Transalp for everyday commuting (my S4 is for sunny days), but having used it for over 6 years now I would love something different (with a bit more grunt). The GS800 (I think?) looks fantastic but they're so damned expensive to buy and run compared to the Transalp - I fear the same with a Ducati - so I stick with a boring (but brilliant) Transalp.

jmho...

ps and yes, I use another forum for the Transalp.

singletrack
14-05-2010, 10:44 AM
LOL
I like adventure bikes - I am willing my legs to be longer so I can try a 1200GS ( actually I am going to try out a lowered one in the near future).
I don't think there is any problem with talking about them here - if we have something to say, we will. If we haven't, we won't. No big deal!
This thread is the most read and most replied to in weeks!
Time to get out the popcorn and watch the sparks fly.

Keep on stirring Will ;)

Capo
14-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Why should it wind you up?

The downside of 'Group think' is when people reinforce each others prejudices to the point where they lose true objectivity - they fight to defend the group regardless of whether it is right - bit like religious nutters :)

A Good and true comment

Will
14-05-2010, 10:57 AM
So long as you're not Monster bashing the thread seems ok to me! I use a Transalp for everyday commuting (my S4 is for sunny days), but having used it for over 6 years now I would love something different (with a bit more grunt). The GS800 (I think?) looks fantastic but they're so damned expensive to buy and run compared to the Transalp - I fear the same with a Ducati - so I stick with a boring (but brilliant) Transalp.

jmho...

ps and yes, I use another forum for the Transalp.

I AM NOT MONSTER BASHING!! I LOVE THEM - they have have a unique identity, the GS does too and it is very hard to emulate.

Guy at work has a ZX6R and a Transalp which he has just ridden to Morocco and back, it coped with motorways, dirt tracks and some dune riding - did about 6,000 miles in just over 4 weeks, they are a very underrated bike - the only problem he has had is a bit of steering instability at certain speeds which he still trying to solve.

Will
14-05-2010, 11:01 AM
LOL
I like adventure bikes - I am willing my legs to be longer so I can try a 1200GS ( actually I am going to try out a lowered one in the near future).
I don't think there is any problem with talking about them here - if we have something to say, we will. If we haven't, we won't. No big deal!

Keep on stirring Will ;)

Seems to be getting more views than most - got to be a good thing, surely?

Nice to have a little support instead of all the negative comments - thanks :-)

Nickj
14-05-2010, 01:20 PM
actually I am going to try out a lowered one in the near future

That would be one of these???

http://www.69garage.com/pastprojects/pages/monkey/baja/baja.html

Will
14-05-2010, 02:38 PM
LOL

Keep on stirring Will ;)

How tall are you? as long as you can slide half a bum of the seat and get one foot down then you can manage.

He11cat
14-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I want it!!!!!!..... its got little eyes and everything!! and they are the same size!

Well there won't be a BMWGS low enough for me... thats being honest.
I am not so single minded that I would never not try anything...doesn't mean to say I have liked everything I have tried but I will try it.

I doubt this site would ever turn into a site where nobody would say something was bad for the sake of dissing the name of Ducati or Monster. If something wasn't great someone would say or discuss it.

There are so many people from so many walks of life on here... thats why I like it..
Its pretty honest and open.
I did belong to one site where it was run by the hitler police of moderators.. a giggle was not allowed.
Fair enough that for one is not the place to me to be but its home for others and I respect that.
I did not get in trouble because I knew not to post and giggle .. just has that vibe and I wouldn't want to disrupt the site or upset it members.I could have but what's the point.

I live on the naughty step when in a happy frame of mine I just chuckle.
I used to be employed as a mod for a business site.. I am a mod for another site as well non bike and have to police it but again only to remove nasty insults.. and arguments between two people ! The rest we just let run.

Anyway if you saw the bikes I own I for one could never be accused of being single minded.
I admit that a couple of years ago I brought my dream bike and I thought I would never part with it.
Then I got the monster and it engrained itself into my heart... and I love that bike dearly but I am not single minded enough to never say anything bad about it.
If I did not like something I would say and there is always room for improvement.... on anything in life.
I believe in constructive crits but I am not one to wind it up and let it go.. thats not in my nature.

Will
14-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I want it!!!!!!..... its got little eyes and everything!! and they are the same size!

Well there won't be a BMWGS low enough for me... thats being honest.
I am not so single minded that I would never not try anything...doesn't mean to say I have liked everything I have tried but I will try it.

I doubt this site would ever turn into a site where nobody would say something was bad for the sake of dissing the name of Ducati or Monster. If something wasn't great someone would say or discuss it.

There are so many people from so many walks of life on here... thats why I like it..
Its pretty honest and open.
I did belong to one site where it was run by the hitler police of moderators.. a giggle was not allowed.
Fair enough that for one is not the place to me to be but its home for others and I respect that.
I did not get in trouble because I knew not to post and giggle .. just has that vibe and I wouldn't want to disrupt the site or upset it members.I could have but what's the point.

I live on the naughty step when in a happy frame of mine I just chuckle.
I used to be employed as a mod for a business site.. I am a mod for another site as well non bike and have to police it but again only to remove nasty insults.. and arguments between two people ! The rest we just let run.

Anyway if you saw the bikes I own I for one could never be accused of being single minded.
I admit that a couple of years ago I brought my dream bike and I thought I would never part with it.
Then I got the monster and it engrained itself into my heart... and I love that bike dearly but I am not single minded enough to never say anything bad about it.
If I did not like something I would say and there is always room for improvement.... on anything in life.
I believe in constructive crits but I am not one to wind it up and let it go.. thats not in my nature.

What was that all about? :-)

Thought you were done with this thread - seems like you cannot resist my charms :D

He11cat
14-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't like the group think comments ...
The reason this thread has not been locked is because we are not all single minded.. and not petty.
Thats my think anyway..I am not a mod..

If the GS forum is so much fun how can you bare to leave it lol!!
No your right I can't resist your charms..
But as in my true style I will say goodbye to you Prince Charming and go off into the sunset on my monster with yet another broken heart... glad in the knowledge I am not singleminded and product blind..Or I may go on my Suzuki , Honda of Yamaha...dunno.. what's the fastest exit!? and not in the words of the Terminator "I won't be back.".. :) not on this thread I now promise.

Will
14-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't like the group think comments ...
The reason this thread has not been locked is because we are not all single minded.. and not petty.
Thats my think anyway..I am not a mod..

If the GS forum is so much fun how can you bare to leave it lol!!
No your right I can't resist your charms..
But as in my true style I will say goodbye to you Prince Charming and go off into the sunset on my monster with yet another broken heart... glad in the knowledge I am not singleminded and product blind..Or I may go on my Suzuki , Honda of Yamaha...dunno.. what's the fastest exit!? and not in the words of the Terminator "I won't be back.".. :) not on this thread I now promise.

Why would anyone even dream of locking this thread? but there again, I am used to freedom of expression and expect most other people to think the same - it is really sad when one finds that isn't the case - sad that so many people lack the imagination to exist even for a short while outside their comfort zones.

jerry
14-05-2010, 04:16 PM

I've me this gentleman and he is exactly as he sounds on here. Don't about the size of his privates tho.

Thanks Capo ........my privates are as big as is required to give Value for money to my honey.

Will
14-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I have no idea who Capo is - don't think we have met????

Nickj
14-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Probably a bit too much fläder saft and Gin Will, does tend to make a person looser lipped

retskcid
15-05-2010, 07:02 AM
I AM NOT MONSTER BASHING!! I LOVE THEM - they have have a unique identity, the GS does too and it is very hard to emulate.

Guy at work has a ZX6R and a Transalp which he has just ridden to Morocco and back, it coped with motorways, dirt tracks and some dune riding - did about 6,000 miles in just over 4 weeks, they are a very underrated bike - the only problem he has had is a bit of steering instability at certain speeds which he still trying to solve.

Absolutely, I've done over 50k trouble free miles on mine. I've had steering problems, mine turned out to be loose spokes on rear wheel, but also had head bearings and wheels bearings....

Liz
15-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Has Kneedown been reincarnated as 'Will'?

Julie
18-05-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/122000-bmw-motorbikes-recalled-in-brake-scare-1976183.html

He11cat
18-05-2010, 10:46 PM
As I have already said

Yeeha, Jester's dead!
:woot::woot:

Rally
19-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Well I must say, this has been a lively debate.
I would just like to add that I once had a BMW 1150 GS Adventure with all the trimmings, aluminium sandwich boxes and all and decided that I sell tractors for a living and had no pleasure in riding one at weekends as well!

I have since got a Triumph Tiger 1050 and that is fab. It may not be built for true "Adventure" but due to it's lighter weight, faster speed, narrownes etc, it outperforms the BM everyday of the week.

I have the Monnie for pleasure and the Tiger for true travel and adventure, surely that is what these different bikes are all about. CHOICE....... You pays your price, makes your choice and enjoy it.

I wouldn't be without either of them.

Will
19-05-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/122000-bmw-motorbikes-recalled-in-brake-scare-1976183.html

Servo/ABS models - I don't have servo or ABS brakes - they are for girls :D

He11cat
19-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Why don't you be really hardcore then... just get rid of your brakes....
works for speedway...
That would be the manly thing to do Will.
Use your feet like Barney Rubble.

Will
19-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Well I must say, this has been a lively debate.
I would just like to add that I once had a BMW 1150 GS Adventure with all the trimmings, aluminium sandwich boxes and all and decided that I sell tractors for a living and had no pleasure in riding one at weekends as well!

I have since got a Triumph Tiger 1050 and that is fab. It may not be built for true "Adventure" but due to it's lighter weight, faster speed, narrownes etc, it outperforms the BM everyday of the week.

I have the Monnie for pleasure and the Tiger for true travel and adventure, surely that is what these different bikes are all about. CHOICE....... You pays your price, makes your choice and enjoy it.

I wouldn't be without either of them.

Horses for courses and what floats your boat - of course.

P.S. The 1150 is a bit of a lardy, overweight, underpowered, granddad of a bike compared to the latest generation 1200.

The new 1200 is 229kg wet including 90% full tank of petrol - the wet weight of the Tiger is 228kg (not sure if that includes fuel). The new Tiger is 111PS and the 1200GS 110PS + a lot more torque than the Tiger - so when comparing the new Tiger and New BMW there is bugger all in it, plus the 1200GS IS a proper Adventure bike.

Rally
19-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Will, My mate has a 1200 and he can't stay on the same road let alone in sight of me.
The BMW community say that the 1150 was the best bike made before they spoiled it and made the 1200, so differing views there as well. The Tiger is liberated by the ECU and a new pipe to give 120PS with ease, so that also makes a difference. I would never buy a BMW again after the way they treated me.
My bike melted 3 rear indicators in as many months. When I pointed out to them that the exhaust exits directly onto it, they said they all do that, don't worry we keep them in stock for that reason! Warranty, NO SIR, it is not a design fault, you must be riding it too hard and getting it hot............

I used it for the Summer and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Yes, it did hold it's value well and was solid, but as you say, "what floats your boat".

Mine is a Tiger and not a "Bad Munich Warranty".

He11cat
19-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Rally I hope you have a cool "adventure" on your trumpet ... I like trumpets!!
Nowt wrong with a tiger.

William are you planning any fun addventures on you bike with its brakes that work?

We are having a whip round for a tank of petrol for you.... being generous types we are so you can go on one.
We look forward to your daily blog and photo's of your grand trip...

Will
19-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Will, My mate has a 1200 and he can't stay on the same road let alone in sight of me.
The BMW community say that the 1150 was the best bike made before they spoiled it and made the 1200, so differing views there as well. The Tiger is liberated by the ECU and a new pipe to give 120PS with ease, so that also makes a difference. I would never buy a BMW again after the way they treated me.
My bike melted 3 rear indicators in as many months. When I pointed out to them that the exhaust exits directly onto it, they said they all do that, don't worry we keep them in stock for that reason! Warranty, NO SIR, it is not a design fault, you must be riding it too hard and getting it hot............

I used it for the Summer and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Yes, it did hold it's value well and was solid, but as you say, "what floats your boat".

Mine is a Tiger and not a "Bad Munich Warranty".

So you mate can't ride a bike!!!

If you want a road bike then buy a Tiger, it is a much better alternative to the Multi-strada and cheaper too - even if the build quality is a bit 'council'. Triumph tried to make a real Adventure bike with the old 'stripey' Tiger, but never it never really took off, so they gave up and turned the into Tiger a road bike and it has been very successful.

Rally
19-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Will,
We all have different choices and different abilities. Thank goodness we do, as that is what is great about biking.

My choice is the Tiger for adventure touring and the Monnie for fun. Yes I do do mainly road work, but with Salisbury Plain on my doorstep, it does also do off road, if asked of it.

As to the subject of my mate not being able to ride a bike, I can only say that I haven't found a single rider on a BMW 1200 that can ride a bike any better than he does. Maybe the old adage that BM riders are old bearded f**ts is correct...............

Capo
19-05-2010, 01:23 PM
What I can't really understand is where do you go 'off road', do you live where there are no roads? how much of your riding is 'off road'?

Will
19-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Why don't you be really hardcore then... just get rid of your brakes....
works for speedway...
That would be the manly thing to do Will.
Use your feet like Barney Rubble.

You don't know much about bikes, do you?

If you observe very carefully you will notice that on a speedway track all the bikes are going in the same direction on a shale surface (where brakes would do f**k all anyway), there are no junctions, traffic lights and no cars!

We all need brakes on the road - just don't need ABS, so I chose not to have it.

He11cat
19-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Firstly I used to work for Ipswich Witches Speedway and thats the truth.
Before you come out with some wit.
No it was not on the burger van.

John Louis the international Speedway rider came to see me every Tuesday for a few years.
His son is Chris Louis another top rider in his time.

Another rider who was very well known is Jeremy Doncaster.
I used to know his Dad well.

I have been to the track many times in fact I live not to far away from the track.
So I do have a little bit of an idea about how speedway works.

I shall go call the humour police right away :D

I think you may have dropped your humour out of your metal lunchbox on the side of your bike when you rode on by today.
I will go and have a rummage around in lost property for you.
Its Ok I am sure we will find it so please don't panic.

No Will I know nothing about bikes or much else for I am a girl.
I should not even really be on a bike as I may get distracted by fluffy kittens at the edge of the road and all sorts.

I do not pretend to be an expert at anything.
There is always someone out there who is a better expert then you.
But there are two types.
The expert who gobs off about it all and to be honest probably knows sweet FA.

Then the quiet expert who I know there are a few on here.
They give advise freely and quietly without having to gob off about how wonderful they are.
I believe you never stop learning and there is always someone who can tell you something you didn't know.
I am happy be given advise and take it on board and happy to learn.
I am also big enough to admit when I make a mistake.

This reminds me of my marriage.... oh happy days :woot:

Rally
19-05-2010, 05:06 PM
What I can't really understand is where do you go 'off road', do you live where there are no roads? how much of your riding is 'off road'?

capo, There is a small block of land approximately 25000 acres called Salisbury Plain. It is the largest Army training area in the UK. Us locals know how to use it for fun without being caught! Say no more..........

Hellcat, I thought how nicely you put that, well done girl!!!

Rally
19-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Well well, we have yet more problems with the good old GS do we.............

Gearboxes to be replaced with a quality item, where did they buy that in from?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=50F3CCDB41A85603802575070034FC 71&freeText=Blank&tx=

Oil leaks from faulty brake pipes that we all now know about as well.......

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=040430B075E1C5DB802575070033B8 DA&freeText=Blank&tx=

I expect they were all made in Italy, weren't they!

Will
20-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Firstly I used to work for Ipswich Witches Speedway and thats the truth.
Before you come out with some wit.
No it was not on the burger van.

John Louis the international Speedway rider came to see me every Tuesday for a few years.
His son is Chris Louis another top rider in his time.

Another rider who was very well known is Jeremy Doncaster.
I used to know his Dad well.

I have been to the track many times in fact I live not to far away from the track.
So I do have a little bit of an idea about how speedway works.

I shall go call the humour police right away :D

I think you may have dropped your humour out of your metal lunchbox on the side of your bike when you rode on by today.
I will go and have a rummage around in lost property for you.
Its Ok I am sure we will find it so please don't panic.

No Will I know nothing about bikes or much else for I am a girl.
I should not even really be on a bike as I may get distracted by fluffy kittens at the edge of the road and all sorts.

I do not pretend to be an expert at anything.
There is always someone out there who is a better expert then you.
But there are two types.
The expert who gobs off about it all and to be honest probably knows sweet FA.

Then the quiet expert who I know there are a few on here.
They give advise freely and quietly without having to gob off about how wonderful they are.
I believe you never stop learning and there is always someone who can tell you something you didn't know.
I am happy be given advise and take it on board and happy to learn.
I am also big enough to admit when I make a mistake.

This reminds me of my marriage.... oh happy days :woot:

I think that you have missed the humour!! Calm down!!

P.S. Thought you had given up with this thread ages ago - or so you said, but please carry on because I think we can keep this going for some time yet ;-)

scrapps
20-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Wow I have just found this thread and its a fun read. I am no expert on any bikes I just know what I like. I have had bikes from most makes in the past but must say the Ducatis has been the most fun to own and ride.
I do not exspect 1 bike to be able to all things (new multi trying) this is why I have a old 750ss for trackdays a monster for sunny day fun and modding plus I have just put a deposit on a 03 multistrada for going longer distance and two up riding.
I know most people would not want 3 bikes and I am not sure how I have reached this point but all 3 of my bikes would not add up to the cost of a bmw or a new multi and as I am now getting on a bit the insurance is not to costly. Ducatis and all bikes have problems/faults but thats the same with any machines.

Pomp1
20-05-2010, 04:04 PM

capo, There is a small block of land approximately 25000 acres called Salisbury Plain. It is the largest Army training area in the UK. Us locals know how to use it for fun without being caught! Say no more..........

Hellcat, I thought how nicely you put that, well done girl!!!

Rally I think that question was aimed at Will which (rather conveniently..) hasn't answered it..

Rally
20-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Rally I think that question was aimed at Will which (rather conveniently..) hasn't answered it..

Good thinking Max, now reading it back I think your right. He is probably in the sahara or doing some serious off roading somewhere else on that "proper" adventure bike.:D

uksurfer
20-05-2010, 05:54 PM
IMHO - I wouldn't want one if you gave the thing to me, maybe in 20 years will i be ready for the 'sensible' bike, but might rather have a harley, not sure which is worse?????

Will
21-05-2010, 08:33 AM
IMHO - I wouldn't want one if you gave the thing to me, maybe in 20 years will i be ready for the 'sensible' bike, but might rather have a harley, not sure which is worse?????

Harleys in the UK are soooo wrong - in sunny California they are cool, but they are just a little bit sad looking in the cold wet UK.

Whereas the GS just looks cool everywhere :D

P.S. with Monsters a close second

scrapps
21-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I must admit I have just come back from a trip to North carolina and the Harley is the bike they all seem to ride. This is not due to its power or how it goes round the endless bends that wind through the blue ridge mountains.
More likely due to the 30/45mph speed limits and they could not get their bellys onto a Duke or GS.
I did see a 749 glide thru the bends with a big grin on his face but he was prob given a ticket very soon after as the police have nothing better to do.:banghead:

O and the GS would look just as bad in US as in UK and the rest of the world

hhmunro
21-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Harleys in the UK are soooo wrong - in sunny California they are cool, but they are just a little bit sad looking in the cold wet UK.

Whereas the GS just looks cool everywhere :D

P.S. with Monsters a close second

Oh Will, you make it all too easy,whatever you might have good to say about a boxter twin,cool and attractive are so, so, not on the list.
Many years ago in France I saw a Paris-Dakar bmw with a HUGE fibreglass tank, it looked like someone had melted a bright blue canoe onto the frame,I photographed it, back in the days of film cameras, and the owner approached,and asked why I was taking the photo...
Answer from me was because it is the ugliest bike I have ever seen and I wanted a record of it,he was, it is fair to say, a little put out...
Still have the photo...

Pomp1
21-05-2010, 01:20 PM
IMHO - might rather have a harley
I hope to live to see the day:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Will
21-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I must admit I have just come back from a trip to North carolina and the Harley is the bike they all seem to ride. This is not due to its power or how it goes round the endless bends that wind through the blue ridge mountains.
More likely due to the 30/45mph speed limits and they could not get their bellys onto a Duke or GS.
I did see a 749 glide thru the bends with a big grin on his face but he was prob given a ticket very soon after as the police have nothing better to do.:banghead:

O and the GS would look just as bad in US as in UK and the rest of the world

The GS is the World's most successful bike because fits in everywhere - simple. Harleys are a bit like Monsters (they have a certain coolness) so I can understand why a Monster owner would want a Harley BUT their environment is limited, the GS's environment has no limits. There is no such thing as a perfect motorcycle, it is all down to desire, need, affordability etc, so all have their place - it is just that some are more desirable than others.

hhmunro
21-05-2010, 01:40 PM
The GS is the World's most successful bike because fits in everywhere - simple. Harleys are a bit like Monsters (they have a certain coolness) so I can understand why a Monster owner would want a Harley BUT their environment is limited, the GS's environment has no limits. There is no such thing as a perfect motorcycle, it is all down to desire, need, affordability etc, so all have their place - it is just that some are more desirable than others.

Oh Will, again you make it too easy.
The GS is popular, (and I won't even begin to take issue with the World's most successful bike ...Yet...) because people are swayed by the media and see their perceived heroes on them,and wish to emulate them. Look at the amount of people with Beckhamesque tattoos,and stupidly big Victoria-type sunglasses,which put me in mind of people post eye operations, it says nothing good about people,only that most of them are sheep...

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 01:48 PM
The GS is the World's most successful bike

I recon Honda might take issue with you on that statement.

I think they've shifted a few more Super Cubs than BMW have shifted GS's

Will
21-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh Will, again you make it too easy.
The GS is popular, (and I won't even begin to take issue with the World's most successful bike ...Yet...) because people are swayed by the media and see their perceived heroes on them,and wish to emulate them. Look at the amount of people with Beckhamesque tattoos,and stupidly big Victoria-type sunglasses,which put me in mind of people post eye operations, it says nothing good about people,only that most of them are sheep...

The GS has been successful for 30 years, regardless of Ewbie and Matey; they were the catalysts that led to the recent (5 years) upsurge, which it has been sustained because people have realised what they have been missing - what other reason is there for all the other manufacturers trying to jump on the bandwagon (becoming sheep) and get a slice of the action? - so far they have all failed.

Will
21-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I recon Honda might take issue with you on that statement.

I think they've shifted a few more Super Cubs than BMW have shifted GS's

The Super Cub is nothing more than cheap, third world utilitarian, transport - it has two wheels and an engine - wow!

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 02:25 PM
The Super Cub is nothing more than cheap, third world utilitarian, transport - it has two wheels and an engine - wow!

but by any measure is hands down the most successful motorcycle ever. FACT

scrapps
21-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I agree hhmunro its a lot to do with media and following the pack. look how popular burberry was but you would not want to be seen in it today. lets hope the GS bubble bursts and we see less of them.
O and I said lots of Americans had Harley not that I would ever buy one....

hhmunro
21-05-2010, 02:42 PM
The GS has been successful for 30 years, regardless of Ewbie and Matey; they were the catalysts that led to the recent (5 years) upsurge, which it has been sustained because people have realised what they have been missing - what other reason is there for all the other manufacturers trying to jump on the bandwagon (becoming sheep) and get a slice of the action? - so far they have all failed.

Now Will, be honest, had Ewbie and Matey (???) gone for the KTM, the bike they really wanted, and far more suitable for the job, do you really believe the GS would be where it is now?

Really?

Honestly...

Will
21-05-2010, 03:06 PM
but by any measure is hands down the most successful motorcycle ever. FACT

It is the most successful based only up a very limited definition of the word - by a more sophisticated definition it fails dismally.

By this limited measure the Monster would be considered a very unsuccessful motorcycle - however most intelligent people would think otherwise.

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 03:13 PM
It is the most successful based only up a very limited definition of the word - by a more sophisticated definition it fails dismally.

By this limited measure the Monster would be considered a very unsuccessful motorcycle - however most intelligent people would think otherwise.

So the more sophisticated definition would be what?

Will
21-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Now Will, be honest, had Ewbie and Matey (???) gone for the KTM, the bike they really wanted, and far more suitable for the job, do you really believe the GS would be where it is now?

Really?

Honestly...

It would have still been a very successful motorcycle - as it had been in Europe (not so much the UK) for more than 25 years

Ewan wanted the Beemer because he thought it was the right choice, he deferred to Charley because Charley had a 'thing' about the KTM. Certainly they would not have sold so many, if KTM had supported them - BUT what the publicity did was to bring BMW's light out from under the 'bushel' and many have now discovered that it really is a great bike.

P.S. KTM made a huge error in not backing them - they failed to see that any publicity is good publicity, they were scared of failure, (perhaps they didn't believe in their own bikes) BUT even if they had I don't think that the KTM would have been as successful as the GS because it is simply not as good a motorcycle.

P.P.S. I bought my first GS as a result of reading a Magazine review and a test ride BEFORE the Long Way Round thing - the 1200 and the 1150 were being praised long before all the publicity - I think that lots of people don't realise this.

Will
21-05-2010, 03:21 PM
So the more sophisticated definition would be what?

Do you think the Monster has been successful and why? - If you think yes, then you will have a more sophisticated definition.

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Do you think the Monster has been successful and why? - If you think yes, then you will have a more sophisticated definition.

Crickey - answering a question with a question, Are you Alistair Campbell in disguise?

You have claimed the GS to be the worlds most successful bike, no one has on here has claimed the same of the monster.

So please tell us your sophisticated definition that supports your statement then we can all agree with you & I'll apologise unreservedly for daring to question you in the first place.

Will
21-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Crickey - answering a question with a question, Are you Alistair Campbell in disguise?

You have claimed the GS to be the worlds most successful bike, no one has on here has claimed the same of the monster.

So please tell us your sophisticated definition that supports your statement then we can all agree with you & I'll apologise unreservedly for daring to question you in the first place.

Almost any definition other than just simple numbers will do, here is one, but it is not exclusive, obviously - I got this from an on-line dictionary, it should help you formulate your thoughts about why you might think the Monster is more or less successful:

Success:
1. The favourable outcome of something attempted
2. The attainment of wealth, fame, etc.

The GS has undeniably has achieved both of the above in spades - in addition to spectacular sales results - no other single bike has achieved this level of success for years.

Remind me of another bike other than utilitarian transport that has achieved anywhere near the same level of success in the last 20 years, and justify it.

Rogerg
21-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Almost any definition other than just simple numbers will do, here is one, but it is not exclusive, obviously - I got this from an on-line dictionary, it should help you formulate your thoughts about why you might think the Monster is more or less successful:

Success:
1. The favourable outcome of something attempted
2. The attainment of wealth, fame, etc.

The GS has undeniably has achieved both of the above in spades - in addition to spectacular sales results - no other single bike has achieved this level of success for years.

Remind me of another bike other than utilitarian transport that has achieved anywhere near the same level of success in the last 20 years, and justify it.

Yes Will, but you added the words "WORLDS MOST" before the word successful.

and on both points 1 & 2 that you most excellently googled I'm afraid the good ole Honda Super Cub wins hands down. Utilitarian or not.

ps can't detect any sophistication here? am I missing something?

damo
21-05-2010, 05:19 PM
You are clutching at straws, it's painful to watch..
One interesting thing though -while I'm at it- is that I come across similar minded people on various forums (be it IT, football, bike, audio, ..), happily winding people up and shifting away from any direct answer seemingly forever..

The Honda Cub is the most successful bike in the world because it is the one that sold WAY more units than any other.
It also generated LOADS of steady income to Honda over the years while still being affordable and reliable therefore earning the praise of its users.

Any success the GS or Monster have is in a very different league altogether.

hhmunro
21-05-2010, 05:40 PM
P.P.S. I bought my first GS as a result of reading a Magazine review and a test ride BEFORE the Long Way Round thing - the 1200 and the 1150 were being praised long before all the publicity - I think that lots of people don't realise this.[/QUOTE]

Ah,Will finally we are at the crux of the matter...
You see I have never bought a bike, (and I have had around sixty of them,) or a yacht based on any article or report, only because when I saw them they just got to me, so I can forgive their little foibles.

Now I had several Ducatis back in the bevel-drive days, and they were fairly rare,but their owners had passion, and passion is important.

As a famous yachting journalist once said,if you look at your boat and it is not the most attractive one in the bay,you have the wrong boat...

Same goes for bikes, and a BMW will never, ever, cause any kind of passion...

So enjoy your stats, your quotes from google, but I think, particularly on a Monster Forum, you have rather missed the point...

What is it they say about engineers?

They never argue if a glass is half full,or half empty, only that it is the wrong size...

Will
22-05-2010, 12:46 AM
P.P.S. I bought my first GS as a result of reading a Magazine review and a test ride BEFORE the Long Way Round thing - the 1200 and the 1150 were being praised long before all the publicity - I think that lots of people don't realise this.

Ah,Will finally we are at the crux of the matter...
You see I have never bought a bike, (and I have had around sixty of them,) or a yacht based on any article or report, only because when I saw them they just got to me, so I can forgive their little foibles.

Now I had several Ducatis back in the bevel-drive days, and they were fairly rare,but their owners had passion, and passion is important.

As a famous yachting journalist once said,if you look at your boat and it is not the most attractive one in the bay,you have the wrong boat...

Same goes for bikes, and a BMW will never, ever, cause any kind of passion...

So enjoy your stats, your quotes from google, but I think, particularly on a Monster Forum, you have rather missed the point...

What is it they say about engineers?

They never argue if a glass is half full,or half empty, only that it is the wrong size...[/QUOTE]

Passion is not just about looks.

I have also had a bevel head Ducati, a very rare 250 SCR - It was my second ever bike and I loved it, shouldn't have sold it it, but I discovered other bikes that I enjoyed more - out of all of my bikes to date the GS out does all of them - I have put more miles on my GS than any other bike I have ever had - it just works so well, with almost no compromise. The Monster is a great bike in so many ways, but is compromised in many others - it is sexy with great looks and sound, but not a bike that one would enjoy everyday in all conditions.

I didn't buy the GS just on the basis of an article, that just generated the intial interest - it was the riding that swung it - just so damn good that looks were not at all important, but it does grows on you.

Darkness
22-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Enginneer :-)

To plan, manage, and put through by skillful acts or contrivance;
maneuver;
To use crafty, deceitful methods.

from Medieval Latin ingenitor:- contriver.

Cheers Will!

Will
22-05-2010, 08:05 PM
maneuver;

Cheers Will!

Engineer in the modern sense of being 'ingenious' - creating and producing useful things where before they did not exist.

Your are using the verb not the noun - I am an Engineer - note capitalisation of the word to show that it is a proper noun!

Capo
22-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't diss it, the Honda Cub can do anything a BMW can do MUCH cheaper and more relaible albeit a bit slower.

Capo
22-05-2010, 08:42 PM
maneuver;

Cheers Will!

I'm an Engineer too and I object to that.

JMo
22-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh what a great thread this is - spectacular in all it's wan kyness!

Some observations so far...

R1, R6, and especially the GSXR1000...

Harley Davidson having 'limited' appeal? - in the UK perhaps, but seriously, in the USA the brand is ubiquitous with the term motorcycle... and the market is vast - so HD don't give a sh!t if they don't sell bikes anywhere else, they really don't need to!

As for the GS fitting in everywhere? Hmmmm... only in the same way a Range Rover does... I think there is a serious danger you'd look like a right [rich] c*nt (to coin a phrase Tim Minchin might use) rocking up in an Ethiopian village on a 2010 GSA and matching gear?

However, personally, I find the final edition (blue and white) 1150GSA one of the most attractive bikes ever made - sure it's not conventionally pretty, but it has a certain 'wholeness' to it that I still find appealing, and would probably have one for many of the reasons Will suggests - as an all-rounder everyday bike [ie. to commute and tour on], it would be hard to beat...

Don't think I'd bang on about it quite so much though...

J x

Darkness
23-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Engineer in the modern sense of being 'ingenious' - creating and producing useful things where before they did not exist.

Your are using the verb not the noun - I am an Engineer - note capitalisation of the word to show that it is a proper noun!

I wasn't referring to what you are, I was referring to what you are doing!

Will
23-05-2010, 07:37 PM
I wasn't referring to what you are, I was referring to what you are doing!

But you first reply was to my answer to what my job was - oh ok I get it, humour :-)

Blah blah
25-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I am an Engineer

I really hope that you're a Hot Beverage with 2 sugars and a bit of Milk Production Engineer or similar, rather than a proper one as you're giving the rest of us a bad name :toilet:

Will
26-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I really hope that you're a Hot Beverage with 2 sugars and a bit of Milk Production Engineer or similar, rather than a proper one as you're giving the rest of us a bad name :toilet:

Hate to disappoint you but I am a proper one and have been for years - but dropped my registration last year because the Institutions had become rather like politicians i.e. they are primarily in it for what they can get out of it! Like politicians they have been promising to improve the status of Engineering in the UK for the last 50 years, but have achieved practically nothing.

Blah blah
26-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Hate to disappoint you but I am a proper one and have been for years - but dropped my registration last year because the Institutions had become rather like politicians i.e. they are primarily in it for what they can get out of it! Like politicians they have been promising to improve the status of Engineering in the UK for the last 50 years, but have achieved practically nothing.

so that leaves mechanical, electrical, civil or possibly petroleum... fingers crossed for a proper answer from the proper engineer

Will
27-05-2010, 08:49 AM
so that leaves mechanical, electrical, civil or possibly petroleum... fingers crossed for a proper answer from the proper engineer

You knowledge of engineering is rather limited!! Non of the above! Try harder!

nambduke
27-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Moderators,

Can we just delete this useless thread.....thought this was UKMOC? 'Will the Adventurer' is just taking up space here instead of talking to his Adventurer pals elsewhere!! Maybe his pals are aware on an Adventure and don't want to talk to him?? I'm just not bothered

Better still, can you just block his access entirely?

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

slob
27-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Why? So Will can claim he's being unfairly censored? Just stop posting and it'll go away on its own...

Will
27-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Why? So Will can claim he's being unfairly censored? Just stop posting and it'll go away on its own...

Exactly!!

Banning a harmless thread doesn't make sense at all, but some people's egos just can't take criticism so they become irrational and abusive.

TCar153
27-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Got it in one Rob. Take note peeps. Don,t bite, that's all his type wants.