PDA

View Full Version : spindle question

analogue_rogue
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
as im looking for a front spindle for my 98 m600... i have seen on ebay one from a 94/5 does anyone know if they are the same..

Nickj
09-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Nope parts are specific to each individual Monster. As all true afficienados will tell you it all depended on who was pulling which bits out of which parts bin, so you might be able to swap out parts from one with a chassis number of xxxxx123 for parts from 122 or 124 UNLESS it was put together by someone else covering the line position for tea, lunch or afternoon siesta time when they'd probably use a different bin of bits because they like the other bins colour more. If you're really unlucky they'll have changed bins after your bike was built and the next will have bits from a totally different model!!

LOL Compatibility between Monsters is a bit of a minefield but the answer would be probably if the wheel types and the fork types are the same.

slob
09-05-2010, 03:58 PM
98 is one of the 'change years', although as Nick says odities occur all over the place. Does your bike have a big (approx 20mm) hollow spindle or or a thin (approx 12mm) solid one. 94/95 will have the solid type...

probably

analogue_rogue
09-05-2010, 04:00 PM
i think its the bigger one...

Blah blah
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Early Monster have solid spindles, later have bigger ones with a hole all the way through and they won't fit obviously

they're a parts bin special...

Nope, just lots of factory options available at the time of purchase including forks, got a picture of the spares book somewhere on here.

Although the very very early ones might have been made from bits left over from the 851 etc, err, so that'll be a yes they are then :scratch:

gary tompkins
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
If it's got a damaged hex (allen key) end, it'll be the solid smaller type. The hollow ones have thread on one end for big nut but no hex, with the other end clamped by split clamp in fork bottom.

analogue_rogue
09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
ah.. nice one.. ill go see what i can find.... cheers very much