PDA

View Full Version : Bike Safe Course 4th July

uksurfer
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I have provisionaly booked 6 places on the 'Wilts' bike safe course for the 4th July this year, i have filled 5 places and have one space left. It would be nice to fill this space, but no problem if i don't.
The only stipulation is that you will have to be in Devizes in Wiltshire at 9am in the morning, and you need to be able to fill in a booking form.
Please contact me for further information if your interested and would like an interesting day riding around with a policeman following you.
You never know, you might learn something.
Copy of Letter:

BikeSafe 2010

Thank you for your enquiry.
BikeSafe is an initiative, run by Police Forces around the United Kingdom.
It aims to reduce the number of motorcycle rider casualties by promoting safer riding and to encourage motorcyclists, where necessary, to seek further training.

During the past ten years, the Wiltshire Police, in partnership with the Wiltshire Council and Swindon Borough Council Road Safety Units,have run very successful, “Love to Ride…Ride to Live” one-day seminars. Eight more are planned for this year, at venues in the centre of the County. Please see the available dates/venues on the enclosed booking form.

These seminars have proved to be extremely popular and will be of interest to all motorcyclists with a full licence and who would like to enhance their existing road riding skills. It will give them the chance to share experiences and the opportunity to have a free riding assessment with police advanced riders.

Places on the Seminars are limited and free.
To reserve your place, please complete the booking form and return it to me A.S.A.P.

If there is any further information you require, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,
Colin

Colin Reeves
Co-ordinator
Wiltshire Bikesafe Partnership
'Love to Ride --- Ride to Live'

Ride safe
Martin

singletrack
08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Shame it is Goodwood festival of Speed that weekend, otherwise I would have come.

Pedro
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
That's a good course Martin, Jules and I did it last year I think - it's also run about three miles from my house so keep the bloomin' noise down!!!

uksurfer
08-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Shame it is Goodwood festival of Speed that weekend, otherwise I would have come.

thought of that but don't fancy the bacon butties at £7 a time.... :thumbsdown:

That's a good course Martin, Jules and I did it last year I think - it's also run about three miles from my house so keep the bloomin' noise down!!!

Cheers Ped, i'm sure we can arrange a detour, i'm sure someone knows where you live :)

chris yeatman
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM

make sure ur kettles on will try and stop for tea, and cream cakes!!!

rollo22
09-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I did a 2 day one in March
Great course learnt a fair bit
They will give the bike a once over whilst your watching videos.
The Termis passed on noise cos your riding at the speed limit and not giving it lots of berries the only complaint was the bag of spanners clutch if in doubt take your db killers

You will also need a legal number plate the one used for MOT

Pedro
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Wiltshire Plod were ok with....

Full big bore unbaffled exhaust and cans
Tax disc in my wallet
90% dark tint visor

Did have one giggle to myself, while out on the ride out, the bike cop with me pulled me over to check my brake light was working as he nearly ran up the back of my bike about three time - I was just rolling the throttle off going into corners and letting the engine braking slow me down!!

Zimbo
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll take the space if it's stil available??

uksurfer
10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Zimbo
Thats great, space is yours.
Please could you send me your email address so i can forward a form to you which needs filling in and returning.
Thanks
Martin

J.P
10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Well worth it and tell your insurance company when you get back, I got £93 back when I told them I'd done the Essex one... :)

uksurfer
10-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Well worth it and tell your insurance company when you get back, I got £93 back when I told them I'd done the Essex one... :)

thanks JP, worth a try

uksurfer
02-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Don't forget its Bike Safe this Sunday,

Stuart is meeting Gutsy at 8 at the shell station in Andover
uksurfer meeting chris at 8 at Salisbury
Liz and Zimbo we will see you there in Devizes at about 8.45 all going well

dont forget your documents - driving licence, insurance and MOT

and a packed lunch if you get hungry during the day

ride safe :pd:

Gutsy
02-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Martin - you're far too organised for a man - you must've been a Mum in your previous life! Thanks for arranging it all and looking forward to a good day out, albeit on our best behaviour!

Gordon H
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't have minded doing that on Sunday - how often do they run the courses ? Don't suppose Hampshire Const. do something similar......

Look forward to hearing all the details on here later :biggrin:

Have a good one

G

uksurfer
02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Gordon, they do them throughout the summer, if you can pm me your email address i will send you the original contact details etc, if anyone pulls out before sunday i'll let you know mate

Hampshire do similar things but its expensive, Wilts do it for free

uksurfer
04-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Great day out with Wiltshires finest, glad everyone turned up for it, nice to meet Zimbo and hoping we will see you again soon.

The day started with a coffee, in fact there was lots of coffee, we spent a few hours in a 'classroom' learning about riding, talking about different situations, a few pointers in overtaking, filtering, cornering, hazard awareness and such, then half the group left for the ride out, the rest stayed behind for more general instruction, then it was lunch time.

After lunch we got to go out with the police riders, there was 7 of them, I managed to get one to myself which was good, and we had a gentle ride round and then stopped for a chat, the guy i was with suggested a few pointers and then we went off again.
It was quite un-nerving having a police bike following me around, i was really watching the speedo, but he overtook me and sort of set the pace for the rest of the ride.

Really enjoyed the day, and having some comment on my riding, and more importantly learnt things and have a few things that i need to practice.

So, a worthwhile day, and many thanks to Wiltshire Road Safety for entertaining us! :ukm:

Stuart42
05-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi all

was a great day, well worth doing if you're thinking of doing one.

As Martin says is bizzare looking in your mirrors and seeing a police bike looming large. Felt like pulling over 'fiddling' with bike to let him pass but the realised I'd volunteered to have him follow me, who'd have thought it.

They came up with some very good points and are very quick to see areas where you need improvement.

You'll be pleased to know I now know what those white lines mean, and which side I should be on.

Everyone I spoke to said it was worth doing, so thanks to Bike Safe for running these.

Many thanks to Martin for sorting this as not something I would've done off my own back.

Cheers
Stuart

J.P
05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
You'll be pleased to know I now know what those white lines mean, and which side I should be on.

There's always a first. :)

Zimbo
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Good day out and well worth doing, nice to meet some new faces too! Thanks everyone :-)

Stuart42
05-07-2010, 12:56 PM
There's always a first. :)

I blame my old paper licence as at the bottom tear along dotted line, Officer

Stafford
05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I hear some bloke turned up on a pink and white Yamaha :dizzy:

Stuart42
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I hear some bloke turned up on a pink and white Yamaha :dizzy:

Thats Magenta, if you please.

Cheers
Stuart

Bunny
05-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Cheers
Stuart

Or Cerise ??

Gutsy
05-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Better late than never. I thought it was an excellent day - the Police Bikers were bikers first, coppers second! Fortunately I had my partner in crime who sped off like s*&&^%$t off a hot shovel - my speedo his 80 mph on a 60 mph road - but sadly I think my speedo is a bit off, especially when he said I was toooo slow. Anyhow, I thought I'd got away with a bit of mad riding home alone.... only to be tailed by UKSurfer... although glad to say I lost him at the speed I managed to do after all!!! C'mon Martin use that throttle!!

It was great to meet a fellow Zim too - talking of good ol days always makes me happy. Hope to see you at one of our Hants/Wilts breakfast runs.

Thanks Martin for arranging the day - as usual, bright, sunny, dry, free tea/coffee/biscuits and even cake. Martin, you are a wizard!

Pedro
05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Glad you all had a good day out but keep the noise down next time you pass my house!!!

:chuckle:

Liz
05-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Cheers
Stuart

Nope, definately pink!

Or Cerise ??

Still pink!

Better late than never. I thought it was an excellent day - the Police Bikers were bikers first, coppers second! Fortunately I had my partner in crime who sped off like s*&&^%$t off a hot shovel - my speedo his 80 mph on a 60 mph road - but sadly I think my speedo is a bit off, especially when he said I was toooo slow. Anyhow, I thought I'd got away with a bit of mad riding home alone.... only to be tailed by UKSurfer... although glad to say I lost him at the speed I managed to do after all!!! C'mon Martin use that throttle!!

It was great to meet a fellow Zim too - talking of good ol days always makes me happy. Hope to see you at one of our Hants/Wilts breakfast runs.

Thanks Martin for arranging the day - as usual, bright, sunny, dry, free tea/coffee/biscuits and even cake. Martin, you are a wizard!

Gutsy, I hope you're not talking about me?!!! ;)

Thanks for organising, Martin, it was a really good day. Thanks also to the Bikesafe staff who ran the day and the police who volunteered their time.

lisyloo
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
What do you mean volunteered their time?

The police get paid (double time on a Sunday) and Colin Reeves is paid by the taxpayer.
Don't get me wrong, it's money well spent IMO.
If they save one fatality at £1.25 million (or whatever it is) then it's worth every penny, but they are paid for doing it.
The only people that turn up for free are the IAM & ROSPA folk who are from charities.

chris yeatman
06-07-2010, 11:54 PM
as everyone has said, good day, worth going to, glad i was there!!
sorry for the noise pedro, martins fault as i had db killers in :chuckle:
right off to do wheely course now :biggrin:

Gordon H
08-07-2010, 06:36 PM
There is another course being run with limited places remaining on Sunday August 1st followed by another on Sunday September 5th if anyone else is keen. - Devizes again.

uksurfer
04-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Follow up

I booked back in there yesterday for a little refresher, as Gordons youngun was doing his full day course, which involved a ride out in the morning with a policeman but no classroom tuition. Headed back in and a debrief and i was on my way.

Well worthwhile, and if anyone wants to spend an hour or so then let Colin know and he will happily book you in for a rideout.

Cheers
martin

Gordon H
04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I KNOW green means go!!!

I had a slight "crisis of navigation".......... that's all......

Very easy to get Warminster / Westbury confused..... (well, they both start with W)