PDA

View Full Version : one can

manwithredbike
28-04-2010, 07:48 PM
anyone know how a m900 carbie will perform with one can and link pipe removed and the outlet capped closed? it starts and runs fine with only the rhs high-level moto-sil can but i'm not sure how it will effect performance, etc.
it's a standard set of down pipes and balance box underneath.
i happened to have the lhs can removed and quite liked the look of the 2 into 1 setup.
comments would be appreciated - esp from the technical buffs.

Albie
28-04-2010, 08:27 PM
All I can say is my 600ss has one can. It goes 2-1 as standard and runs as fine as a twin exhaust. Saves weight too. I wonder why they didnt do the same on the monster 600

gary tompkins
28-04-2010, 10:17 PM
2 cans give better silencing & less restriction making it easier to hit noise limits

The cloverleaf junction on stock downpipes works really well. It's hard to improve on gas flow wise, and only becomes a restriction on mega tuned engines. 2 into 1 pipes aren't normally as effective as 2 into 2 for monsters, but having said that a lot of DD bikes use this system - possibly to improve ground clearance.

Albie
29-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Personally I prefer the look of two cans. On my ss it looks unbalanced and empty. Its ok though. S2r's look good with 2 into one.

slob
29-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I've seen this done on a few DD bikes, just welding a disc over the sawn off outlet on the crucifix.
The bikes still seem to go OK even though it's probably not ideal.
900 will be flowing 50% more gas though.

adam15
29-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Personally I prefer the look of two cans. On my ss it looks unbalanced and empty. Its ok though. S2r's look good with 2 into one.

Agree with you there Albie, 2 look better than one :D

manwithredbike
29-04-2010, 02:19 PM
thanks lads.
i'll prob do a temporary block off and give it a blast out and see how it goes. i was thinking there might be some carb adjusting needed with the change in exhaust set up but i'll do a plug check after and see how they look.

desmo
29-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Both my S2R's run a 2-1 system, with the cat removed & a oval Remus titanium can.
I prefer the single can set-up rather than the twin cans either side or the shotgun set-up.
When I looked into it originaly, the 2x main reasons that most poeple retain the twin silencer set-up is gas flow (as already mentioned) & the fact that a big v-twin produces big power pulses that can blow out the guts of a single silencer (so I was told)
I wasn't too bothered about the possibility of losing a little power at the top end & my silencers have stayed together.
My bikes sound really nice, but not too loud + I can always refit the baffle when I want for MOT as the can is stamped as road legal.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/crop6.jpg

giler
29-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I had a DP crome megaphone with DP 2 into 1 big bore headers on 900 carb.
Could not get it to run brilliantly. The torque curve was nearly vertical and signed
off real early. When I put the normal headers and titanium Leo Vince's on it was much smoother and better on top.

I think it is better on the fuel injected bikes simply becuase the injection?ecu can handle it better?