PDA

View Full Version : Hello all from Herts! Advice please!!

Jungle24
28-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi All at UKMOC,

Jungle Jim here from Herts saying HELLO!

I am a proud new owner of a S2R800 and have already begun to sculpt it into my dream Monster.

Gone are the standard mirrors, replaced with Rizoma Circuit 743s. Tail chop from competetion werkes is in the post and have fitted Oberon LED indicators and removed the (in my opinion) useless and unsightly front bikini fairing.

I have the current dilemma of what cans to fit to release the noise that we all bought a Ducati for.

I am decided on hi level cans as want to open up the back wheel and show off the lovely single side swing arm. I am liaising with Joe at Spareshack to see if he can get me some termis but they don't appear to make them for this bike anymore. The other option is the Zard slip ons but other than watching a few vids on you tube I am not aware how they rate compared to the termis. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am only looking at Slip ons as full systems are way out of my price range at present considering all my recent purchases.

I also am keen to hear thoughts on long term reliability of the S2R800 engine as I bought the bike with 9500 miles on it and plan to do approx 50 miles a day over the summer. If looked after can I stack the miles on without too many worries?

It would be great to hear for you with any thoughts on my situ and I would also like to hear about any essential mods that I may not have thought of.

Lastly if anyone lives in Herts and fancies a blat drop me a message.

Thanks for reading and I am excited to be a member of the club.

All the best,

Jim

Qba
28-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Jim,

Can't say a lot as I own S2R for 5 months now. I bought it in November last year and done 1.2k miles in 3 months. It's running great, no problems so far.

Essential mods... you've done more than I did in this matter.
For me every new idea about new mod makes it essential if that makes sense ... It's never ending story, you want more and more.

I've changed the exhaust so far and fitted frame sliders after dropping the bike
(total cost of repair £1.7k and 2 months off in the garage), so you might consider that as well.

Enjoy and welcome!

Nickj
28-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the fold :)
My older 750 is doing that kind of miles and in all weathers, basically if I can get onto the road it's rideable ;) So I'm doing about a 1000 a month and my monster is quite happy with it.
Just change the oil regularly at 3-4K otherwise it'll be good to go

J.P
28-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi Jim, welcome to the club.
If you were searching You Tube you may well have come across a small clip I posted of my shotgun style hi-level exhausts to replace the stacked single side standard cans. The carbon coating is ok, but not the best quality.
The sound is great, louder that Termi's but just a different sound, not better, not worse.
You should have a look at other brands like Leo Vince or some of the others. At the end of the day it's down to cost and what you want to spend and the style you like. You could also consider just removing the CAT which makes a difference if the 'sound' is what you want to change.

Funkatronic
28-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Jim

welcome and nice bike ;-)

termis sound great but the problem can be with a tail chop is the wheelbarrow effect, some on here have cut theirs down to make them a bit shorter. afaik there are a couple of different styls of termi for the s2r. the difference being diamter of the pipes.
not sure if termi do a side by side option tho, thnk its only shotgun but someone may know better

I have shotgun style carbon arrows on my S2R (full system not just sllip ons) and they sound positively ungodly and never cease to make me smile (or set off car alarms!!) ;-) The build quality is great and they look excellent

if you want to open up the single sider, the zards side by side are your best bet, these sound great, bit similar to my arrows (bit bass-ier and maybe even louder!) and are built really well (although i personally hate the logo)

one thing to look out for is the dreaded lambda sensor. if your bike is a 2007 or 2008 you might have a real headache with fuelling unless you buy the DP ECU. If its 2006 or b4 you will be fine and maybe just need a power commander

heres some good links of other users bikes

s2r800 zards, silver arrows, thin termis (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=34083)"

Thick Termis chopped down (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21768)

lambda sensor fun!! (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=24948)

i and a few others on here often out around herts and essex and well up for a blat especially if its dry, will shout you when im next out (this weekend looks poor tho:-( )

as to other mods, i llke many others have put better brake calipers and larger 320mm discs (ducati scrimped on these imho) as well as fully adjustable showa forks (mine came off an S4) instead of the fixed marzocchis as im a big fella and mine tended to dive and wallow around under heavy braking. the forks might be fine for u

Not sure about engine lognevity, guess it depends on service history (does your bike have one) i have seen s2r's in great shape with 15K plus on them and i have heard many ppl complimenting the 803 engine but i have noting to compare it to

ali

Jungle24
29-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input.
JP - What is your user name on YT as I would like to see your vid. I am actually considering some hi level Sil motos from Spareshack as are a few hundred quid cheaper than the Zards only thing is on you tube the sils sounded quite bad. Any thoughts on them?
Funkatronic - Good advice on the wheelbarrow effect, I am not keen on that and dont want the hassle of chopping down so termis are out. I too am not keen on the Zard logo maybeits a sitcker you can remove? I think the SIls may be a good bet as they look great, have you ever heard them on a Ducati.
My bike has a full service history yes and was bought from a dealer. It had belts done, new back tyre, sprockets and chain so I shoudnt have to change anything for a few miles hopefully.
I tihnk I will change the discs and calipers at some point as the front brakes arent the best. I iamgine this could be quite costly??

J.P
29-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Search for Justin Photis on you tube. Very basic, it was to show a friend what they looked like.
The shotgun style that I have does NOT go with a rear hugger, it rises too much with the suspension and hits the cross-over pipe. It took mine a day before £150 of carbon rear hugger was ruined.
I'd stick with the stacked version for ease, mine was a costly change and just created other little problems. I had SilMoto's fitted to my M695, they sounded wonderful.

Jungle24
29-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Cheers Jp I will chk out your vid.
I dont have a hugger so should be ok with High level carbon sil motos right?

J.P
29-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes should be fine, it was only the exhaust pipe as it crossed from the stacked side to the other that did it.

Jungle24
29-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Just saw the vid NICE BIKE!! I was toying with the Zards but can get the sils for 200 less. I have been told they are relatively easy to fit. Would you advise against hi levels? Cheers JP

Funkatronic
29-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi Jim

Ebay is your friend :-)
just saw an arrow full system like mine go for under £400! so keep an eye out. never heard the sils myself but any open exhaust will release the sound, although as J.P. says definitely a good idea to get rid of the cat if you can, as this i heavy, saps power and muffles the sound. The stock cans sound quite good with just a decat pipe (imho) but nothing like as loud as a set of open cans (which can be useful for track days, or appeasing the neighbours).

a decat pipe can be found 2nd hand but they are quite rare. new these are about £150ish

A real bargin option if your handy with tools would be to look for a set of stock cans on ebay (see these go for £50-90) and core them out. there is a post on here somewhere that shows how to do this

as to brakes i picked up a set of brembo goldline calipers for about £90 from an S4R that was upgraded to radial forks and calipers
in fact i might have a spare set you can buy from me, i will go digging in the garage and let u know
Otherwise many ducatis, aprillas and other bikes use the same calipers, you just need to search for brembo goldline or P34/4 or P4 calipers with 65mm mountings (not the older 40mm type). if you unsure post up here and we will let u know if they will fit.

I paid £50 for a pair of unnused brembo discs which was a total bargain but a new set should cost about £180-200
any 320MM discs with a 6 hole mounting pattern and a 10mm offset (which is most pretty much all monsters and most other ducatis except 996R and a few others i think) should work, this layout can be found on many bikes so keep an eye out
heres a list (http://82.119.215.131/catalogo/bk/catalogo/template.asp?cp=210&id_prod=2394&id_modello=2&id_tip=0) of bikes that use the same type of discs

You can use the existing coffin style master cylinder and brake lines without too much issue , so all in all can be done for under £200 if your patient, £50ish more if you need a mechanic to do the work.

hope this helps

ali

J.P
29-04-2010, 03:38 PM
That Funkatronic is a wealth of knowledge isn't he.

As for my Zards, I like them, but the quality of carbon hasn't lasted, the cross-over pipe means the exhaust has to hang from another bracket on the opposite side and mine wan't an exact fit and needed drilling out and stuff and filling with washers. Not what I expected for the £900.

As Funky says, just getting rid of the CAT does make a big difference and just a couple of hundred pounds for the replacement link pip. Or a full Arrow system would also be a great alterrnative for that sort of money off ebay.

Funkatronic
29-04-2010, 04:38 PM
haha, im no expert, just trying to share the love and knowledge i received when i appeared on here 2yrs ago ;-)

J.P
29-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Nothing wrong with that Ali.

J.P
29-04-2010, 04:45 PM
The Student becomes the Master.
It's the circle of life.

Jungle24
29-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks Funk! most helpful.

Some questions on the cans pls -

Does removing the CAT pose problems at MOT time?

Do you get hp increase from removing CAT or is that only obtained by remapping the ecu? Will just fitting slip ons improve hp and performance?

Is it possible to buy the sils and fit link pipe to remove cat at a later date once funds are available?

Brakes -

I think the brakes are ok at present but JP says may be a good idea to upgrade. I am 12 stone. I have not had the benefit of trying larger discs etc but aim to keep this bike for a long time. Would you say in your exp that this is an essential upgrade at some point as I do hear the s2r is not famed for its front end.

Cheers again all for your continued advice and thoughts!!

Funkatronic
05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
hi Jim

sorry for slow response
Does removing the CAT pose problems at MOT time?

never has for me but then my mechanic seems to be able to get my noisy cans through too :woot:

Do you get hp increase from removing CAT or is that only obtained by remapping the ecu? Will just fitting slip ons improve hp and performance?

not sure to be honest, others may know better but i reckon that some fuelling adjustment would be advisable if you install race cans. you dont want the bike running lean as this can cause engine damage in the long run.

i gained 4 HP with the stock cans and a decat pipe when my bike was dyno'd with the powercommenader. but there may be enough adjustment available with the stock ECU to improve things abit
the full race system got me an extra 6.5HP! but its too loud for many tracks :-(

Is it possible to buy the sils and fit link pipe to remove cat at a later date once funds are available?

yes this should work with slip ons

Brakes -

I think the brakes are ok at present but JP says may be a good idea to upgrade. I am 12 stone. I have not had the benefit of trying larger discs etc but aim to keep this bike for a long time. Would you say in your exp that this is an essential upgrade at some point as I do hear the s2r is not famed for its front end.

if you find the the stock brakes good enough then you have your answer. Im alot bigger than you and the stock brakes still stopped me.
Now i can lock the front wheel shockingly easily which isnt necessarily such a good thing on the road.
If your planning to track the bike at all, i think the brake upgrade is well worth the effort imho, this is the best upgrade i did after cans

hope this help
ali

Jungle24
05-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi Ali,
Many thanks for you input again.
I have taken the plunge and gone for the hi level carbon sils and have bought a CAT eliminator too.
Hopefully I should be fitting them this weekend. Joe seemed to think should be no probs with mapping so will see how I go.
As for brakes i am going to leave them for now as literally skint now lol!!
I will put some pics up after!
Cheers again!
Jim

shifter
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi Jim,
I just bought my first Monster and am loveing it!
Also I'm just down the road in Hemel so if you fancy a blast down to the Ace!

Jungle24
07-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Shifter,
Cool! Nothing like getting on your first Monster!
I will message you when I am around for a blatt down to the ACE!

Mr.Number
07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Ali, did you have some trouble with the fueling having fitting the arrow system ( race system ? ).

In the process of buying the carbon full race system, but it appears that the dp ecu is a must for the bike to run properly.

Mines an 08 S2R 1000.

Cheers Kev

Funkatronic
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Kev

My Bike is from 2006 and has no lambda sensor therfore I had no fuelling issues when changing cans

from what i have read, as yours is 2008 the DP ECU is your only option if you want any other type of exhaust which adds a alot of wonga :-(
also I think the ECU is only available as a kit with the DP Termi exhausts which is not made for your bike anymore, picking one up 2nd hand might be a problem as i think the ECU needs to be coded to the bike when its installed but i could be wrong here

sorry to be the bearer(or confirmer) of bad news
ali

slob
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't think the DP ECUs are coded...
but that does mean you lose you immobiliser.

shifter
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
You could also try Dave Woods Racing in Aylesbury

Please ignore, landed in the wrong thread somehow.

Jungle24
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
no probs mate thanks for the referral

shifter
09-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Saw a rather mint looking Black Monster leaving the J20 roundabout and into the village the other day, wouldn't be you by any chance?

JerryT
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi there & welcome from another noob to the forum...
:)

Jungle24
10-09-2010, 08:46 AM
It could well have been me - Mine is Black with orange strip and has hi level Sil moto cans with tail chop.

shifter
10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Sounds like the one!

Gina
13-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Howdy Jungle 24, welcome aboard. Based in Hitchin so if you fancy a spin some time to Ace, or Cambridge area, feel free to message.

Best