PDA

View Full Version : Imobilisor problem?

kaysee
28-04-2010, 08:22 AM
02 plated 750 IE working fine yesterday, this morning, turn on ignition needles do the normal sweep, hit the button fired once then died. No sign of life when the Starter button is pressed. imobilisor light comes on after the initial check.

Any ideas what to check ?:scratch:

slob
28-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Small cnnector behind the headstock that connects the immobiliser 'ariel' to the loom?
Another key?
Big connector on back of clocks?

Does it live outdoors? 02 clocks are quite prone to moisture ingress/condensation.
Mine's always recovered (so far) even if it had to be turned off/on several times.

kaysee
28-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Cheers Slob, I have not had time to play with spare keys etc, had to get to work not play with the wifes bike, sent her off in the car. I will have a look this evening. The bike is garaged so it has not seen moisture for a while.

Headhunter
28-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I have exactly the same problem but only when the bike is wet. After a while it dries and off I go.

Have tried different keys and no luck for me unfortunately. Wasn't aware of other solutions, so think I'll give them a go.

Good luck, fella. If you do find the best solution can you let me/us know.

Nickj
28-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Cheers Slob, I have not had time to play with spare keys etc, had to get to work not play with the wifes bike, sent her off in the car. I will have a look this evening. The bike is garaged so it has not seen moisture for a while.

It will still have got some damp in while out and about or at some point. Pull ALL the connectors you can find apart, clean them and them reassemble with a tinsy smear of vaseline or similar. It doesn't take much verdigris on brass connectors to make a connection go bad, don't know why gold plated connectors aren't used, not like they are much more expensive.
It also means you get a good look at the wiring loom and can check for any rubs or wear.

Added thought!!
As it's the wife bike you can let her do this, using some male logic you can happily follow the line that the vaseline would be good for her hands

Nickj
28-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I have exactly the same problem but only when the bike is wet. After a while it dries and off I go.

Sounds like you've got to hoping the rain stops, again sounds like a connector or a wire being able to leak to earth letting you down.

moor-ph0
28-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Have tried different keys and no luck for me unfortunately. Wasn't aware of other solutions, so think I'll give them a go.

Good luck, fella. If you do find the best solution can you let me/us know.

Hi,
Does you bike have a meta alarm fitted ?

Geoff

kaysee
28-04-2010, 04:47 PM
OK, I have had a quick look.

black key in ignition on, clocks sweep, fuel pump does not prime, immobiliser led goes out, flashes once slowly then stays on.

Red key same as above except the diagnostic flash is 3 quick 1 slow flash, then led stays on.

Tried EOB thing, but nothing happened key in EOB light on, open throttle,light out close throttle no flashing EOB light.

Does anyone know what the diagnostic code 3 quick 1 slow means?

kaysee
29-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Could my problems point to a faulty ECU?

slob
29-04-2010, 10:23 AM
The immobiliser is a combination of ECU, Clocks and key/ariel,
so given my limited understanding of the finer details of the electronics...

yes

I suspect someone with the correct diagnostic equipment will have to be your next step.

kaysee
29-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Looks like a trailer to on yer bike is in order.

Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrching :worried:

analogue_rogue
29-04-2010, 11:57 AM
your local to aylesbury?

analogue_rogue
29-04-2010, 12:00 PM
i dont know if this helps.. its gor the 749... but if you have the same setup on your ecu it will be the same...

The 749/999 EOBD dash light illuminates when there are certain electrical errors, errors in the injection system and errors in the ignition system. It will also light up if engine temp is greater than 124 degrees Celsius (255.2 degrees Fahrenheit). Additionally, if the EOBD light lights up together with the 'CODE' symbol on the LCD, the ECU is in the 'block engine' state.

If the EOBD light has illuminated because of an error, to troubleshoot the problem, you can retrieve the error code/s generated as follows...

While holding down the left hand dash button, turn the ignition on. Keep the button held down throughout the 'start up' dash sequence, then any stored error code/s will be displayed on the LCD. The error codes will be displayed as "EFl Error". At the same time, the error code number will be displayed in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. If there is more than one stored error code, the display will scroll through them automatically.

See below for error code numbers:

1.1 TPS Disconnected
1.2 TPS short circuit to earth
2.1 Pressure Sensor short circuit to power supply
2.2 Pressure Sensor shorted to earth
3.1 Water Temp Sensor shorted to power supply
3.2 Water Temp Sensor shorted to earth
4.1 Air Temp Sensor shorted to power supply
4.2 Air Temp Sensor Shorted to earth
5.1 Battery Hi
5.2 Battery Lo
10.1 Hor. Coil shorted to power supply
10.2 Hor. Coil shorted to earth
11.1 Ver. Coil shorted to power supply
11.2 Ver. Coil shorted to earth
12.1 Inj1 shorted to power supply
12.2 Inj1 shorted to earth
13.1 Inj2 shorted to power supply
13.2 Inj2 shorted to earth
14.1 Inj3 shorted to to power supply
14.2 Inj3 shorted to earth
15.1 Inj4 shorted to powersupply
15.2 Inj4 shorted to earth
16.0 Pump Relay
17.1 LH Fan shorted to power supply
17.2 LH Fan shorted to earth
18.1 RH Fan shorted to power supply
18.2 RH Fan shorted to earth
19.1 Starter Solenoid shorted to power supply
19.2 Starter Solenoid shorted to earth
30.0 ROM/Eprom error
34.0 Signal Panel Sensor
36.0 Speed sensor
37.0 Immobiliser (transponder)
37.1 Immobiliser (antenna)
37.2 Immobiliser (instrument panel serial driver)
37.3 Immobiliser (serial cable disconnected)
37.4 Immobiliser (ccm serial drive)
37.5 Immobiliser (key not recognised)
37.6 Can Line error

kaysee
29-04-2010, 04:24 PM
your local to aylesbury?

I am in Chalfont St Giles.

The EOBD light does not stay on after the initial sequence, It is the LED that comes on, as if you have just turned the ignition off and the immobiliser is set.

analogue_rogue
29-04-2010, 07:13 PM
im in wycombe... might be wirth trawling the net for fault code?

kaysee
11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Well, I spoke to Ducati Aylesbury who suggested a couple of things to try. Still no joy, so the immobilised monster was collected and taken to Ducati Aylesbury yesterday for a spell in their workshop. I should find out more in a day or so. Why do I just know it wont be a cheap fix.

Rally
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Kaysee,
You have exactly the same problem as Liz_62. Hers is intermittently doing it which is worse, as you don't know when to trust it and when not too! Hers shows no fault codes at all. It went to a dealer and then started straight away. Then at Arrow Mill, failed again the next day.
If you do find out what it is, she would be very happy to know as well.

Good luck.

Liz
15-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Any news on the fault yet Kaysee?

kaysee
24-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Well, the good news is that there is now a working monster at home.

The bad news is that it was the ECU and the cost to repair was just short of £1200 :cry::cens:

Just after Me and Pen got to On Yer Bike they had a power cut, so no tills or card machines were working. The very nice people let us take the bike away and pay by phone later in the day.
:mand:

gregski
24-05-2010, 07:59 AM
WOW 1200 quit that is mad

did they fix the old ECU or replace it with a new one ??

kaysee
24-05-2010, 09:12 AM
That was for a new one, I have the old one which I may send off to an ECU repairer.

jerry
24-05-2010, 03:40 PM
What bike was that £1200 for ? ripoff when aftermarket ones are £500-600

desmo
24-05-2010, 04:03 PM
£1200!!!!
OMG, what the hell did they do to justify a bill like that?
A DP ecu is in the region of £550, maybe half hour to fit it & reset the TPS

analogue_rogue
24-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, the good news is that there is now a working monster at home.

The bad news is that it was the ECU and the cost to repair was just short of £1200 :cry::cens:

Just after Me and Pen got to On Yer Bike they had a power cut, so no tills or card machines were working. The very nice people let us take the bike away and pay by phone later in the day.
:mand:

when did you get there i was there picking up my speedo cable about 30 min into the power cut..... did ya see my lil yellow and black monster dark outisde the front door?

kaysee
25-05-2010, 08:34 AM
£1200!!!!
OMG, what the hell did they do to justify a bill like that?
A DP ecu is in the region of £550, maybe half hour to fit it & reset the TPS

Quoted £1000 for a new ECU, the rest was for collection of bike, diagnostics & fitting.

when did you get there i was there picking up my speedo cable about 30 min into the power cut..... did ya see my lil yellow and black monster dark outisde the front door?

I was there just after 9am, Passed a yellow / black monster on the way home along the A413, did you see a R1150GS BMW with a red monster following?

Julie
25-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow that is some bill!

Liz do you have yours sorted yet?

analogue_rogue
25-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Quoted £1000 for a new ECU, the rest was for collection of bike, diagnostics & fitting.

I was there just after 9am, Passed a yellow / black monster on the way home along the A413, did you see a R1150GS BMW with a red monster following?

that would of been me... no i didnt see it sorry i was fighting with a slipping clutch!

kaysee
26-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow that is some bill!

Pen loves her monster. With a knackered ECU the bike is worthless, so we had to dig deep and get the bike repaired.

Now Pen is smiling again and the monster is growling :woot:

Liz
29-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Wow that is some bill!

Liz do you have yours sorted yet?

Hey Julie,
The 800 is with Rich Llewellyn (Louigi Moto)! I've said ride it round, put it on diagnostics, do whatever! It hates me and that's there all there is to it!

Pen loves her monster. With a knackered ECU the bike is worthless, so we had to dig deep and get the bike repaired.

Now Pen is smiling again and the monster is growling :woot:

Sorry to hear you had to spend so much?? Trouble is, you luv 'em, or hate 'um, I happen to love them! :biggrin: