PDA

View Full Version : Rev Counter not working

uksurfer
28-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Went out last night on bike, started it to come back and the rev counter has stopped working,

1) is it fused?
2) what to check? if not fused?

and i got a little hole in the exhaust by the engine mounting bolt!!!!
what a p**ser with the weekender coming.......

not happy!

analogue_rogue
28-04-2010, 06:22 AM
what bike is it on?

uksurfer
28-04-2010, 07:35 AM
its on a S4, no cable!

Albie
28-04-2010, 08:19 AM
First thing I would check is the connections. The clocks have a main connector with a twist plug.

No idea where the rev counter takes off from but could be off the ecu. The s4 has built in coils in the sparkplug caps so they wont come off the coils .

Just check all the connectors around the engine. Im sure it would say in the workshop manual I gave you.

Wheres the hole !!!! by the engine mount or do you mean the exhaust to engine mount point at bottom near the brake lever. Has it just split ???

Nickj
28-04-2010, 08:49 AM
The signal for the tacho might come from the ECU, possibly its from the databus wire BUT I think it probably gets it feed from the grey wire that feeds the horizontal cylinder coil.
Was it doing anything odd before it stopped working? Odd twitches, incomplete sweeps??
Which gives you two choices, either a simple wiring fault, the speedo wiper is worn out or the ecu's not well. Of these its probably one of the fist two.

Scotty
28-04-2010, 09:35 AM
which year S4 ?

gregski
28-04-2010, 10:13 AM
On my 620ie when my rev counter stop working I check every connection but it turns out that there was a damage on the clocks and it's a quite expensive job :worried: and I just left it

Good luck with yours

rac3r
28-04-2010, 10:57 AM
As someone said 'A rev counter is just to keep you entertained at the lights'

Albie
28-04-2010, 11:31 AM
which year S4 ?

03 plate but probs manufactured 01/02 not sweeping clocks and cable speedo drive

Nickj
28-04-2010, 11:52 AM
If it isn't a cable drive then it's often the stepper motor that drives the dial

analogue_rogue
28-04-2010, 11:59 AM
If it isn't a cable drive then it's often the stepper motor that drives the dial

stepper motors control idle.. they dont have a feed to the rev count or ecu. the rev count will be fed by the ecu which will take its feed either from a hall effect sensor on a camshaft or on a coil somewhere

Scotty
28-04-2010, 03:51 PM
humm the old style clocks eh , I had bother with mine once, the signal is sent from the ECU. I would check the electrical connection inside the clcok houseing

Capo
28-04-2010, 05:23 PM
stepper motors control idle.. they dont have a feed to the rev count or ecu. the rev count will be fed by the ecu which will take its feed either from a hall effect sensor on a camshaft or on a coil somewhere

Last time I had one to bits (last week in fact) there was a stepper motor on both the speedo and tach that drives the needles.

analogue_rogue
28-04-2010, 05:39 PM
thats a drive motor though, it sets the needle it doesnt send an input. it just works on a variable voltage received from the ecu which converts the digital signal from the pickup. i have never heard it refered to as a stepper motor before.. (could just be an area thing)

uksurfer
28-04-2010, 06:03 PM
just got back from the garage, the rev counter was working without the lights on, but with the lights on there was no rev counter, seems as if the rectifier is broken and not putting out enough volts to charge the battery!
So a new rectifier is on putting out 13.5-14 volts, and the old one about 11.5 volts.
Fingers crossed it will be ok, and the new battery i put on last month might be useless now, so i good second hand one might be used!
Bikes stayed at the garage for the exhaust welding where the bracket is attached by the engine mount!
Happy days

Thanks for all your replies :ukm:

Capo
28-04-2010, 08:14 PM
thats a drive motor though, it sets the needle it doesnt send an input. it just works on a variable voltage received from the ecu which converts the digital signal from the pickup. i have never heard it refered to as a stepper motor before.. (could just be an area thing)

Trust me they are digital stepper motors, the inputs from the ECU go to the main processor chip, I'm about half way though drawing the circuit board diagram.

The ECU gets the engine speed from the hall effect transducer on the crankcase which reads the cam gear this signal is also used by the ECU for fuel mapping.

The speedo is also driven by a hall effect transducer which reads the rear wheel speed, the signal is sent to the ECU.

analogue_rogue
28-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Trust me they are digital stepper motors, the inputs from the ECU go to the main processor chip, I'm about half way though drawing the circuit board diagram.

The ECU gets the engine speed from the hall effect transducer on the crankcase which reads the cam gear this signal is also used by the ECU for fuel mapping.

The speedo is also driven by a hall effect transducer which reads the rear wheel speed, the signal is sent to the ECU.

fair enough dude.. its just all through college they were never called that.. but that was a long time ago and im not up to date on internal workings of clock heads!

gary tompkins
28-04-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/io/io_7.html

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Gauges_&_Dial_Kits/Tachometers/SPA_Design_80mm_Classic_Tachometer/817/1459

If R/R unit's only putting out 11.5V it's fooked

Also possibly why battery has struggled to hold a charge - Hence bumpstart at Brooklands in March

chris yeatman
28-04-2010, 11:44 PM

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Gauges_&_Dial_Kits/Tachometers/SPA_Design_80mm_Classic_Tachometer/817/1459

Also possibly why battery has struggled to hold a charge - Hence bumpstart at Brooklands in March

wen new battery was put on after brooklands, charge rate was checked my me @ 14v.

chris yeatman
28-04-2010, 11:46 PM
i think a good charge up on that battery u got martin then it should be ok.

uksurfer
29-04-2010, 04:25 AM
i was thinking about Brooklands problem being related, fingers crossed all good now!

analogue_rogue
29-04-2010, 05:49 AM

yeah im pretty sure they were never in my city and guilds in 1995 but hey you learn something new every day.. cheers it made for a good read :D

uksurfer
29-04-2010, 05:36 PM
bikes back in working order!
just need fuel and to put the tank bag on, and chill out tonight with a few beers :biggrin:

weimeranerman
29-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Interesting and timely thread. I just got back from work and as I was parking up, at idle my S4 rev counter went to zero. It would move normally when blipped but at idle just went down to zero again. Also, the last 10 miles home the bike felt as though it was running slightly rough. Also noticed that my brake light was not working when using the front brake. Any clues?

uksurfer
29-04-2010, 09:31 PM
mine was similar, if i put the lights on there was no rev counter, turn the lights off and the rev counter would work, not on idle, only when revving at about 2k
hope that helps

weimeranerman
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Martin - Just to be certain, was the solution to your problem a new rectifier?

I charged my battery and then started it and all seemed fine. The next morning I went to start it and ran the battery down pretty quickly and failed to start the bike! Battery is only 7 months old and seemed in good nick. Any guidance on how to check rectifier output?

uksurfer
05-05-2010, 07:38 PM
i believe theres two plugs coming out of the rectifier, the yellow ones are going in and the red ones are coming out to the battery, my red wires were showing about 11-11.5 volts, the new rectifier is showing 13.5-14 ish, enough to charge the battery.
i think the yellow wires going in were showing something like about 18 v, which is the power from alternator.

Hope that helps but i'm no sparky.........

i took the bike to the garage and i'm only relaying what i remember, i'm sure someone else will know more about them!

Capo
05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
A description of the charging

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=36418&highlight=charging

weimeranerman
09-05-2010, 09:19 AM
A description of the charging

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=36418&highlight=charging

Thanks Capo. The friendly AA man called around to get the bike started and checked the charging with me as I could not get the bike to start and guess what................ charging at tickover -negligible, at 4000rpm 12.3. He agreed it is probably the RR.

So now to get a replacement! Any recommendations?