PDA

View Full Version : S4 exhaust question

littlejimmy12
26-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Posted this back a few days

I am picking up an S4 but the guy b 4 has dropped as S4R Test engine in it, what exhaust options can I consider??

Want to put an Exbox on there, but I am confused about what will fit, S4R options are made for a single swing but will an S4 exhaust run ok on an S4R block!

Or is my understanding not correct?

cheers

James

Albie
26-04-2010, 09:49 PM
You can run side by side like these on my s4 but they run through slightly different at front of swingarm on s4r.

The headers were different on the different swingarms . You could run a two into one pipe and there are systems on the market or have been for sure.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/Pics050.jpg

Or when I single sided it I fitted these

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/finale013edit-1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Project%20Monster/finale006.jpg

littlejimmy12
26-04-2010, 10:07 PM
nice - how do u fancy single siding mine? :-)

Albie
27-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Its easy enough you just have to source all the right parts. Its almost a straight swap other than I chose to have the rear hangers for my pillion so welding was required for the two mounts. Everything else is bolt on except the frame was crimped for the s4r rearshock. You could get away with s2r 800/1000 one though as no piggyback reservoir.

You need

Swingarm complete with hub/ brake disc/sprocket
Exhaust headers and system as slightly different
Foot controls brake and gear ( you may get away with older type or just rearsets dependant on the exhaust you run )
Rear shock
Possible rear footrest hangers if you want a pillion
A single sider wheel from a 748/916 or multistrada or s2/4r
Thats it.

uksurfer
27-04-2010, 09:08 AM
you make it sound easy Albie!
Stuart42 has just finished making his 750 into a single sider, i bet he's got some bits left over if you ask him......

seby
27-04-2010, 10:13 AM
s4 with TS engine?
if you maintain your swing arm you just need an exhaust ad hoc
if you deicide to fix an single side swing arm, you have to prepare yourself to spent a lot of money on it, apart the labor, you need rear wheel, new rear shock, rear disk, rear caliper, side hub, specific engine/swing arm bolt (100 quid new) need of course swing arm and new exhaust
estimated cost 2000 pounds

S4 swing arm is 2 kilos lighter than the single one

please avoid QD
Seby

Albie
27-04-2010, 01:00 PM
s4 with TS engine?
if you maintain your swing arm you just need an exhaust ad hoc
if you deicide to fix an single side swing arm, you have to prepare yourself to spent a lot of money on it, apart the labor, you need rear wheel, new rear shock, rear disk, rear caliper, side hub, specific engine/swing arm bolt (100 quid new) need of course swing arm and new exhaust
estimated cost 2000 pounds

S4 swing arm is 2 kilos lighter than the single one

please avoid QD
Seby

I never paid out that much including paint and tyre.
What it cost me

Swingarm/hub/swingarm axle/sprocket/disc. £0 :thumbsup: I swapped my alloy swingarm and rear wheel
Footrest controls and rear hangers £50 secondhand from an s2r 800
Rear wheel from a multistrada brand new secondhand £150
Exhaust system including headers and midsection £500 secondhand
Rear s4r shock done 200 miles £100 secondhand
All powdercoating inc frame/wheels/swingarm/footrest and hangers and 16 components £200
Rear new tyre pirelli corse III £160
Paint on tank seat cover and front fairing £220
Carbon hugger £70 seconhand
Carbon rear heel guards £30 secondhand
Handlebars fatboy secondhand and risers £40
Tope yoke from s2r800 secondhand £20

£1540

I sold also to reclaim costs
Hi level titanium Termis for £300
Rear carbon hugger in red £60
Standard exhausts £100
Standard hangers £80 the pair without controls or pegs.

£540

Total cost to me around £1200 inc stainless steel fittings and engine paint and odds and sods.

What I got out of it.
Almost a brand new bike to me.
Experience
Pleasure
Stress
Choice
Something to do in the winter months
Bike of the year award 2008
And heaps of praise.
Well worth it as someone else has the pleasure of the bike.

I was lucky to get the find offered on this forum. No one took first dibs for days and I did.

littlejimmy12
27-04-2010, 04:05 PM
sounds like I'm better of riding round the s4 until I have the £ for an S4R. Seby I know that the Quad d is not fr8 for performance but I want to clear up the back end. High Levels like I had on my S2R from my point of view make it a little cluttered at the back + when I tail chop they always protrude. This time I have a definate vision of where I want to go and it includes a stealthy type exhuast like Quat d or even better Boom Tubes. I'm trying to find someone who makes up custom exhausts so if anyone knows of anybody??

slob
27-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Plenty of exhaust makers out there, in no particular order
predator, racefit, mhp, campbell
how deep are your pockets? is the question

Albie
27-04-2010, 06:21 PM
IMHO you go for the look you want and spend that money there. I chose my route because I wanted something different. You can get the look you want with just custom exhausts. They can be fitted anywhere you want if you have a god guy building them but as slob says you may need deep pockets. Expect to pay up to a £1000 depending on how many and the type of material used for a reasonable set. £1000 + for some exoctica materials with lots of cuts.

Get the swingarm braced too if you want a macho look from underneath and either polish it or powdercoat satin black..

If you dont need pillion get rid of the big hangers and you can stack too or as you said get a collector box or tubes.

Also you can put back to standard if you keep the said bits if you move on.

There was NO gain on my bike other than looks and personal satisfaction but with yours you have the power plant. I would spend money on shocks and exhausts .

seby
27-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I never paid out that much including paint and tyre.
What it cost me

Swingarm/hub/swingarm axle/sprocket/disc. £0 :thumbsup: I swapped my alloy swingarm and rear wheel
Footrest controls and rear hangers £50 secondhand from an s2r 800
Rear wheel from a multistrada brand new secondhand £150
Exhaust system including headers and midsection £500 secondhand
Rear s4r shock done 200 miles £100 secondhand
All powdercoating inc frame/wheels/swingarm/footrest and hangers and 16 components £200
Rear new tyre pirelli corse III £160
Paint on tank seat cover and front fairing £220
Carbon hugger £70 seconhand
Carbon rear heel guards £30 secondhand
Handlebars fatboy secondhand and risers £40
Tope yoke from s2r800 secondhand £20

£1540

I sold also to reclaim costs
Hi level titanium Termis for £300
Rear carbon hugger in red £60
Standard exhausts £100
Standard hangers £80 the pair without controls or pegs.

£540

Total cost to me around £1200 inc stainless steel fittings and engine paint and odds and sods.

What I got out of it.
Almost a brand new bike to me.
Experience
Pleasure
Stress
Choice
Something to do in the winter months
Bike of the year award 2008
And heaps of praise.
Well worth it as someone else has the pleasure of the bike.

I was lucky to get the find offered on this forum. No one took first dibs for days and I did.

sorry Albie u were lucky, mine is just a provisional price including labor
i have seen several bike like yours and the average price is 2000

:)

Albie
27-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I was very lucky Seby. Most of the luck was the swingarm from CK and AK and help from the UKMOC's Else it would have been impractical.

A lot did say that at the time but I got some bargains and the bike itself was fine in the engine department.

I wouldn't reccommend others do unless they could source the parts cheap , I reckon a 916 version costs even more as they dont just bolt on unless you get one like JMO's

littlejimmy12
27-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Plenty of exhaust makers out there, in no particular order
predator, racefit, mhp, campbell
how deep are your pockets? is the question

not that deep, thanks Rob for the info I'll start looking into it, the OEM ones are a disgrace:)

Panther
28-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I feel everything has been said......... but he's my quick 2p's worth, if you were to go down the swingarm conversion. The main thing I would say is if your going to do this mod is get your hands on all the parts before you start.

As already mentioned, you want to find someone who is selling a complete swingarm, I did this the 2nd time round :spin:,

e.g
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUCATI-S4R-S2R-MONSTER-SINGLE-SIDED-SWINGARM-ROTOR-HUB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e41d207QQitemZ29041 7922567QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think I picked mine up for less than this including rear shock. You can always haggle on the price too (There is nothing wrong with buying from US ((I did) just remember extra tax, try to get the guy to write a lower value)

-----------------------------------------

I'm sure this will get disputed. I think there are a few parts that aren't required in changing to do this mod.

-Rear Shock. (I think all the rear shocks are the same length? I know the 620ie is the same as S4R.

-Specific engine/swing arm bolt. You only to change this if you want to fit S*R rear-sets. but then you have the old rearset bracket left on frame (Can mod like Ablie did)

-------------------------------------------

I would't include the cost of rear-sets and exhausts into this 'Mod' As you would have changed parts anyway.

Plus as Ablie said you will get some of your money back when you sell your other parts.

What ever you do, good luck with the Mod's and keep use posted

Albie
28-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I feel everything has been said......... but he's my quick 2p's worth, if you were to go down the swingarm conversion. The main thing I would say is if your going to do this mod is get your hands on all the parts before you start.

-----------------------------------------

I'm sure this will get disputed. I think there are a few parts that aren't required in changing to do this mod.

-Rear Shock. (I think all the rear shocks are the same length? I know the 620ie is the same as S4R.

The ONLY time you need to change the shock is when you from an s4 to a singlesider s/r

Its piggy back fouls the swingarm. Anything else will be ok if the reservoir is remote or doesnt have one.

diesel6354
03-05-2010, 10:01 AM
albie

where did you get that headlight mask?