PDA

View Full Version : Brake microswitches

nik_the_brief
25-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

I had a little dallaince with gravity recently on a greasy road when I was slightly overzealous with the front brake on my old 900 Monnieand ended up dropping the bugger and injuring my left shoulder. :thumbsdown:

At first I thought that all was well save a broken mirror and a ding on the tank from the bars but closer inspection shows that my brake light no longer comes on when I operate the brakes. I'm pretty sure I knackered the front brake microswitch when I dropped it.

Does anybody know the best place to source on quickly or where I might be able to get a generic replacement?

I also need the other brake light switch, the one actuated by the rear brake lever as I knackered mine some time ago. Has anybody got one or, again, knows where I can source a replacement from? I broke mine when I was trying to remove it from the hanger.

Cheers all.

Nik TB

slob
25-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Try releasing the little screws that hold the switch in place and retightening them, the impact may have jammed it. Rear switch should be cheap from a dealer, search for "micro switch" or similar on the forum for several threads on cheap replacements, depends on whether you have 'coffin' or gold master cylinders.

nik_the_brief
25-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Cheers Rob,

Tis an old 'un with coffin reservoirs. Microswitch 'clicks' okay so it's not jammed - must dismount it and test it in a circuit before I go as far as buying a new 'un I s'pose.

Will check eBay and the like for a rear one before resorting to the dealer - tight git that I am!

analogue_rogue
25-04-2010, 06:53 PM
maplin do a micro switch search the forums and itll come up.. i soldered a new one in on mine it was only 1.79